Visa Overview

* This hotline is designated for visa applicants residing in the U.S.A or Puerto Rico. * If you are calling from the U.S.A or Puerto Rico, you will be charged a domestic call fee for your call. * This Hotline will only provide general information regarding Japanese visas. * The Hotline will not connect you to the Consulate-General's visa section. If you need to contact the Consulate-General in regards to a pending visa application, please contact the Consulate-General directly at (212)888-0889 during office hours.

tourist visa application to japan

Categories of Visa

Before applying, visa applicants must first decide which kind of visa to apply for according to the purpose of their visit to Japan. The documentation required for application differs according to the kind of visa the applicant needs. Please check the link Types and Categories of Visa .

Japan Solved

Tourist Visa In Japan

Tourist Visa In Japan: A Simple Guide             

Embark on a journey to the Land of the Rising Sun with the essential first step: obtaining your tourist visa for Japan. Don’t worry! We’ve got your back!

This article is your lantern, illuminating the path through the delicate intricacies of the Japanese visa process. Whether you’re dreaming of cherry blossoms in Kyoto or the neon lights of Tokyo, we’ll guide you through each requirement to ensure your Japanese adventure begins smoothly and beautifully.

Let’s dive in!

Who Needs A Tourist Visa Or E-VISA In Japan?

Tourist Visa In Japan 1

If you are a citizen of one of the following countries, you can temporarily go to Japan visa-free for vacation or business for up to 90 days . 

Nationals from any of these regions are assigned Temporary Visitor status:

  • Dominican Republic
  • New Zealand
  • Honduras 

When Do You Need The Tourist Visa Or E-VISA Of Japan?

A Japan tourist visa is a short-term stay visa for the purposes of sightseeing, visiting friends, or attending conferences or courses. 

A tourist visa is typically valid for a single-entry stay of up to 90 days . Tourists can also apply for a double-entry visa for 2 short trips within 6 months.

It is important to note that the Japanese tourist visa does not allow travelers to participate in paid work or study while in the country.

Accordingly, you must apply for a student work visa (national visa) or other visa types according to your purpose of entry if you wish to enter for reasons other than tourism.

Some other types of short-stay visas include:

Business Visa

There is a temporary business visa for stays of up to 90 days, which can be a single or double-entry visa if both trips are within 6 months. 

Business purposes include conferences, meetings, signing contracts, and market surveys.

Transit Visa 

Some nationalities need a transit visa to stop in Japan when going to an onward destination. Many travelers do not need this as long as they stay within the allocated zone and do not leave the airport.

How Do You Obtain A Tourist Visa In Japan?

You must apply for a Japan Tourist Visa from a Representative Office of Japan abroad (Embassy or Consulate) or through an accredited travel agency .

 This process is as follows:

  • Contact the Japanese Embassy/Consulate to make an appointment for the submission of the application. However, some Japanese Embassies do not accept individual applications, so you must apply through a travel agency. The agency will submit the application at the Embassy or Consulate on your behalf.
  • Gather the required documents for a Japan visa 
  • Submit the documents at the Embassy/Consulate or the travel agency.
  • Wait for the visa to be processed. This usually takes 5 working days , starting when the Japanese Representative Office receives your completed application.
  • Collect your passport from the Embassy/Consulate/travel agency. 

If the application has been approved, your visa will be affixed, and you can use it to travel to Japan within three months .

Remember that incomplete documents will require additional visits to the embassy or result in the need to reapply.

What Documents Are Required For The Tourist Visa?

Tourist Visa In Japan 2

You are obliged to prepare the following documents:

  • Passport Visa Application Form & one photograph ( 4.5cm x 4.5cm ) 
  • Copy of CNIC
  • Copy of Student Card (only if the applicant is still registered as a college student) 
  • Flight itinerary issued by a travel agency or airline office Itinerary with information on places you plan to visit and stay. 
  • Documents certifying the relationship between you and your relatives living in Japan 
  • Documents certifying the relationship between you and your friends/acquaintances living in Japan (such as photos, letters, etc.) 
  • Copy of documents certifying the relationship between each applicant, such as family registration card, etc. (for group applicants only)
  • Certificate of Employment Invitation Letter 

You must also bring along proof of sufficient funds to defray all the expenses while in Japan: 

  • If you, your relative/friend outside Japan , or an organization/institution where you belong to pay for your trip, you must have a copy of the bank statement for the last 3 months.  If you are not paying for your trip, you must submit documents certifying the relationship between you and the one who pays for your trip.  
  • As well as the letter from the organization/institution where you belong that certifies the purpose of the visit
  • Letter of Guarantee
  • A copy of documents on the guarantor
  • A copy of the bank statement for the last three months
  • A copy of the bankbook for recent three months
  • A certificate of employment with information on the duration of employment and amount of annual income
  • Domicile certificate
  • A copy of the legal registration or an Overview of the Company/Organization in Japan.

Additional documents may be required according to your specific situation.

What Is The Japanese E-VISA?

It is a system that enables applicants to apply for a visa online and issues an electronic visa to applicants for a short-term stay for the purpose of tourism. 

This Japan online visa simplifies the visa application process by eliminating the need for in-person visits to embassies or consulates.

As of November 1 , 2023 , Japan eVISA is available to residents in the following countries/regions:

  • Saudi Arabia
  • South Africa
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • Nationals of China who reside in China
  • Nationals of Vietnam who reside in Vietnam 

For the time being, only those Vietnamese who participate in a packaged tour organized by designated travel agencies.

Visa applications must be made through travel agencies accredited by the Japanese overseas establishment. The agencies will begin applying for visas on the Japan eVISA system as soon as their preparations are complete.

How To Obtain A Japanese E-VISA?

Tourist Visa In Japan 3

Listed below are the steps on how you can get a Japanese E-VISA:

  • Fill out the online application
  • Complete the online application and pay with credit card or PayPal
  • Receive documents via email
  • Enter destination
  • Present your Passport and the Document upon entry to the destination country

However, it’s important to note that the Japan electronic visa has certain limitations. Here are a few things you cannot do with the E-VISA:

  • Work in Japan without obtaining the necessary work permits or visas.
  • Engage in any form of paid employment or long-term studies .
  • Stay in Japan beyond the permitted duration granted by the eVISA.
  • Visit friends and family.
  • Engage in business activities.
  • Seek medical treatment .
  • Attend special events, festivals, or conferences held in the country.
  • Undertake any activities not in line with the purpose specified in your E-VISA application.

It’s crucial to adhere to the terms and conditions of the Japan eVISA for a legal stay in the country.

To apply for the Japan visa online, you will need the following documents and information:

  • Passport:  A valid passport with a minimum validity of six months beyond your intended stay in Japan. Ensure that your passport has at least two blank pages for visa stamping.
  • Personal Information:  You must provide personal details such as your full name, date of birth, nationality, and gender as they appear in your passport.
  • Contact Information:  Your current address, phone number, and email address should be provided for communication purposes.
  • Travel Itinerary:  Details of your planned itinerary, including your arrival and departure dates, the address of your accommodation in Japan, and any planned activities or destinations.
  • Employment Details:  Suppose you are visiting Japan for business purposes. In that case, you may be required to provide information about your employer, such as the company’s name, position, and the purpose of your visit.
  • Financial Means:  It may be necessary to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in Japan. This can be done by providing recent bank statements or proof of financial capability.
  • Recent Passport Photo:  A digital passport-sized photograph with a plain white background.

Incomplete documentation will result in the cancellation of processing of your eVISA.

What Is The Visa Fees And Processing Time For A Tourist Visa And E-VISA?

Tourist Visa In Japan 4

For a single-entry visa, the fee is 3,000 Yen . For a double-entry or multiple-entry visa, the fee is  6,000 Yen . 

The processing time for a Japanese Tourist Visa is five working days , starting when the Embassy or Consulate receives your completed application.

Generally, the E-VISA issuance fee is 3700 yen , approx. However, the visa fees may be waived or reduced for specific countries and regions based on the nationality of the applicant.

Visas for the Japan E-visa are issued within five working days after all required documents are submitted.

As our guide to securing a tourist visa for Japan draws to a close, remember that this process is your gateway to a world of unparalleled beauty and cultural richness.

Armed with the knowledge from this article, you’re now ready to step into the enchanting streets of Japan with confidence and excitement. Sayonara and safe travels on your journey to discovery!

Japan Awaits!

But wait! There’s lot more that you might be interested in following:

  • Types Of Visas In Japan
  • Tax Refund In Japan
  • Temporary Residence In Japan

Similar Posts

How To Register Your Address In Japan    

How To Register Your Address In Japan    

Moving to Japan brings its own set of unique challenges, one of which is the essential task of address registration. Ready to settle in Japan? Don’t worry! We’ve got your back! Whether you’re a student, a working professional, or just settling in, registering your address is a key step in establishing your life in Japan….

Types Of Visas In Japan: Explained

Types Of Visas In Japan: Explained

Embarking on a journey to Japan isn’t just about packing bags and booking flights; it’s about navigating the sea of visa options, each tailored to a different chapter of your Japanese tale. Need to know more? Don’t Worry! We’ve got you covered! Whether you’re an aspiring student, a budding entrepreneur, or a global wanderer, understanding…

Social Security Number In Japan: Explained

Social Security Number In Japan: Explained

Understanding the intricacies of Japan’s social security system is crucial for both locals and expats alike, particularly when it comes to obtaining a social security number (SSN). Worry Not! We’ve got you covered for this! This essential piece of documentation is key to accessing a range of services and benefits within the country. Our guide…

Citizenship In Japan: All You Need To Know 

Citizenship In Japan: All You Need To Know 

Acquiring Japanese citizenship is a profound journey, blending legal processes with cultural integration. Looking to become a Japanese resident? Don’t worry! We’ve got you covered! For those seeking to fully immerse themselves in the Japanese way of life, understanding the pathway to citizenship is crucial. This article offers a comprehensive overview of the requirements, procedures,…

Work Employment Visa In Japan: Explained      

Work Employment Visa In Japan: Explained      

Japan’s dynamic economy and advanced technological landscape make it a coveted destination for professionals worldwide. Looking to travel Japan for work? Worry not! We’ve got you covered! Securing a work or employment visa is the first step towards realizing your career aspirations in this innovative country. This article aims to simplify the process, offering a…

Temporary Residence Permits in Japan: A Simple Guide

Temporary Residence Permits in Japan: A Simple Guide

Stepping into the Land of the Rising Sun, with its rich tapestry of culture, technology, and natural beauty, is a dream for many. If you’re planning to make this dream a reality, even if just for a short while, navigating the process of obtaining a temporary residence permit in Japan is your first step. This…

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

Visa Traveler

Exploring the world one country at a time

Japan Tourist Visa: Requirements and Application Process

Published: March 18, 2024

A Japanese tourist visa is required for all non-visa-exempt nationalities and those who are not eligible for eVisa. Japan tourist visa application can only be lodged in person at a Japanese embassy in your country of nationality or residence.

Quick summary:

  • Who requires it: Foreign nationals that are not visa-exempt
  • Validity: 3 months, single-entry
  • Allowed stay: up to 90 days
  • Extensions: not allowed
  • Processing time: 5 business days
  • Fee: 3000 JPY or less

Read the Japan Visa Guide for more general advice about available visas for tourists, eligibility, and procedures.

Table of Contents

Understanding japan tourist visa.

Japan Tourist Visa Sample

Tourist visa validity

Japan single entry visa is valid for 3 months. You cannot extend this period of validity and if you change your passport before you use it, you must apply for a new visa.

Duration of stay

In most cases, the duration of allowed stay inside Japan is 90 days. In some cases, it can be lower, about 15 or 30 days.

Allowed number of entries

The standard Japanese tourist visa is a single entry only.

Multiple entry tourist visas are also issued but only to select nationalities with additional requirements.

Allowed ports of entry

With a Japanese tourist visa, you can enter Japan at any international airport or seaport.

When to apply

The processing time is 5 business days after the visa application is deemed complete by the receiving embassy. This can in turn take a few extra days or even up to 2 weeks.

It can take even longer if additional documents are requested from you or your application is sent for further review. Apply well in advance to ensure you receive the visa before your travel dates.

  • Earliest : 3 months before traveling
  • Latest : 2 weeks before traveling

Tourist visa extension

Extensions are not possible for either visa validity or allowed duration of stay.

Benefits of Japan tourist visa

Japan tourist visa offers VISA-FREE access to 14 countries. Read the VISA-FREE countries for Japan visa for more details.

Japan Tourist Visa Requirements

Japan Tourist Visa Required Countries

Who requires a tourist visa

The following nationalities require a tourist visa to travel to Japan

  • Nationalities that are NOT visa-exempt (currently, 70 countries are visa-exempt)
  • Nationals that are NOT eligible for Japan eVisa (currently, nationals and residents of 14 countries are eligible for eVisa)

North Korean nationals are not eligible for Japanese visas and are always denied entry.

Documents required

The following are the required documents for a Japan single entry visa for individual tourists (not on organized tours through travel agencies):

  • Passport valid for the duration of stay
  • One passport-size photo
  • Completed Visa Application Form (use Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out the Visa application form digitally, then print it and stick the passport photo)
  • Confirmation of reservation of tickets (air or sea) both to and from Japan OR Information about the planned schedule of flight or cruise, including entry and departure dates both to and from Japan
  • Proof of sufficient funds – certificate of income or tax statement AND bank statement
  • Travel Itinerary plus any tickets or leaflets supporting your travel plans

The documents may vary depending on the receiving embassy and you may be requested to submit additional ones.

NOTE There are minor differences in the required documents for independent tourists from China, Russia, CIS countries, Georgia, and the Philippines. These are listed below.

Chinese travelers

Generally, Chinese tourists visiting Japan come on tours organized by authorized travel agencies.

As an independent Chinese traveler, it is possible to obtain a tourist visa for Japan if you have sufficient financial capability.

You must prepare your own travel itinerary in advance and approach an approved Chinese travel agency to facilitate and lodge the visa application for you. There is currently no way to apply at a Japanese embassy in China independently.

The period of stay granted for tourist visas to Chinese nationals is usually 15 or 30 days.

Travelers from Russia, CIS Countries, and Georgia

Independent tourists from any of the CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States) countries, Russia, or Georgia traveling to Japan, can obtain a single-entry visa.

The required documents are more or less the same as for other countries but you must submit 2 Visa Application Forms and 2 photos.

Travelers from the Philippines

In addition to the general document requirements, you must also submit:

  • Birth certificate issued by the National Statistics Office (PSA) on security paper. If the certificate is illegible, crumpled, or parts of it are missing, also submit a birth certificate from the local government.
  • Marriage certificate (if married)

Photo requirements

The passport photo must meet the following requirements.

  • Taken within the last 6 months
  • Must be of size 45mm x 35mm
  • In color against a plain white background
  • Taken looking straight forward and face visible clearly
  • On a good quality paper

Tourist visa fee

The fee for the Japan tourist visa is 3000 JPY payable in the local currency of the embassy where you apply.

Visa fees may be lower for some countries.

Online payment for the visa fee is not possible.

Crucially, you don’t need to pay the visa fees when you apply. You will pay only if your Japan visa is approved. Japan is one of the few countries in the world that charge visa application fees after the visa is issued and don’t charge for unsuccessful applications.

Processing time

The processing time is 5 business days. 

However, this period starts after the embassy confirms that your application is complete which is known to take a few days or longer.

In reality, you can expect your visa to be issued within 2 weeks in most cases.

Japan Tourist Visa Application Process

Japan Tourist Visa Application Process

How to apply for a Japan tourist visa

You must apply at a Japanese Embassy or Consulate General with jurisdiction over the area where you live or the one with jurisdiction over the country in which your passport is issued.

Effectively, this means that you must apply in the embassy in your own country or the country where you are legally a resident . 

If there is no Japanese embassy in your country, see which embassy nearby has jurisdiction over your country – it’s usually the closest one in a neighboring country. Check the Japanese embassies and consulates around the world.

Applying for Japan tourist visa at the embassy is usually a 5 step process.

Step 1: Gather all the necessary documents.

Step 2: Apply in person at the Japanese embassy.

Step 3: Remain available to reach – the embassy may request additional documents or an in-person interview.

Step 4: If your application is successful and your visa issued, go back to the embassy to collect your passport

Step 5: Pay the visa fee in cash in the local currency

If your application is rejected, you won’t be able to apply for a tourist visa again for the next 6 months unless there are major changes to your circumstances. There are no other penalties and there is no fee to be paid.

How to contact the Japanese embassy or consulate

Check the website of your Japanese embassy . They have methods of contact listed on their websites.

Alternatively, reach out to the Japan visa information hotline at [email protected] with your nationality or residence and inquiry.

Entry Procedure at the Border

Regardless of the border you enter Japan at, your flight origin, or your nationality, the entry procedure in Japan is pretty much always the same.

The border officer will check that you meet all requirements, including that your visa is valid, your purpose for entering Japan, and the planned length of your stay. 

Assuming everything is in order, the officer will grant you “landing permission” by affixing a seal of verification for landing in your passport. At this point your visa expires and you are allowed to stay in Japan for up to 90 days (or as much as provided in your visa).

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Is japan visa easy to get.

The Japanese tourist visa is one of the easiest to obtain. There are relatively few required documents, no mandatory interviews, and a high success rate.

If you submit a complete and honest application, the chances of visa approval are high.

Can I apply for a Japan visa online?

Japan also has an eVisa system in place but it’s available only to certain travelers.

You can apply for a Japan visa online (eVisa) if you are a legal resident of Australia, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, UAE, the UK or the USA.

A legal resident can be anyone residing in those countries on a student visa, work visa, residence permit, etc.

What is the minimum bank balance for Japan tourist visa?

There is no official guideline for the minimum required bank balance but a rule of thumb is to have at least 100 USD for each day of intended stay in Japan.

For example, if you submit an itinerary for a 15-day trip to Japan, you should show a minimum of 1,500 USD balance in your bank account.


Thirumal Motati

Thirumal Motati is an expert in tourist visa matters. He has been traveling the world on tourist visas for more than a decade. With his expertise, he has obtained several tourist visas, including the most strenuous ones such as the US, UK, Canada, and Schengen, some of which were granted multiple times. He has also set foot inside US consulates on numerous occasions. Mr. Motati has uncovered the secrets to successful visa applications. His guidance has enabled countless individuals to obtain their visas and fulfill their travel dreams. His statements have been mentioned in publications like Yahoo, BBC, The Hindu, and Travel Zoo.


I highly recommend using these websites to plan your trip. I use these websites myself to apply for my visas, book my flights and hotels and purchase my travel insurance.

01. Apply for your visa

Get a verifiable flight itinerary for your visa application from DummyTicket247 . DummyTicket247 is a flight search engine to search and book flight itineraries for visas instantly. These flight itineraries are guaranteed to be valid for 2 weeks and work for all visa applications.

02. Book your fight

Find the cheapest flight tickets using Skyscanner . Skyscanner includes all budget airlines and you are guaranteed to find the cheapest flight to your destination.

03. Book your hotel

Book your hotel from . has pretty much every hotel, hostel and guesthouse from every destination.

04. Get your onward ticket

If traveling on a one-way ticket, use BestOnwardTicket to get proof of onward ticket for just $12, valid for 48 hours.

05. Purchase your insurance

Purchase travel medical insurance for your trip from SafetyWing . Insurance from SafetyWing covers COVID-19 and also comes with a visa letter which you can use for your visas.

Need more? Check out my travel resources page  for the best websites to plan your trip.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER We are not affiliated with immigration, embassies or governments of any country. The content in this article is for educational and general informational purposes only, and shall not be understood or construed as, visa, immigration or legal advice. Your use of information provided in this article is solely at your own risk and you expressly agree not to rely upon any information contained in this article as a substitute for professional visa or immigration advice. Under no circumstance shall be held liable or responsible for any errors or omissions in this article or for any damage you may suffer in respect to any actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information in this article. Please refer to our full disclaimer for further information.

AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please refer to our full disclosure for further information.


United Kingdom UK Tourist Visa Image


Canada Tourist Visa Image


  • Cookie Policy
  • Copyright Notice
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Flight Itinerary
  • Hotel Reservation
  • Travel Insurance
  • Onward Ticket
  • Testimonials

Search this site

We’re sorry, this site is currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again in a few moments. Exception: request blocked

JAPAN VISA APPLICATION FORM: Sample + How to Fill it Out

JAPAN VISA APPLICATION FORM: Sample + How to Fill it Out

By continuing to read this article, you agree to double check with the authorities or other concerned entities for the latest updates.

Whether you’re applying for a Japan Tourist Visa or a Visit Visa, the first thing you need to do is to get hold of a copy of the application form and fill it out appropriately. You can get a copy from the agency where you will be applying. But if you want to take care of it before you go to the agency, you can download a copy of the application form below with instructions.

Download the form here

How to fill out japan visa application form.

First, a few important reminders.

  • Complete the form either by hand or electronically. Either is accepted. If you go the hand-written route, make sure that you write in block letters and that they are readable.
  • In fields that don’t apply to you, write NA. Don’t leave any field blank.
  • Print the form in an A4-size paper. Other sizes will be rejected.
  • Paste a photo on the designated area. PASTE! DO NOT STAPLE! The photo must have been taken within the past 6 months.
  • Use a black pen or font. Do not use pencil or one of those erasable pens.
  • Avoid erasures! If it can’t be helped, use double line (2 strikethroughs). If there are too many erasures, start over. Never ever use correction tape or liquid.

Here are some parts of the form that you might have questions about. For the purpose of explanation, I filled out the form in big blue letters just to make it obvious. But when you complete your form, use BLACK.

tourist visa application to japan

  • Given and middle names: Write both your given name AND your middle name (your mom’s last name).
  • Other names: If you have a pen name or nickname or if you’re known by any other name, write it down. If none, write N/A.
  • Place of birth: If you have no province and you’re born in Metro Manila, write METRO MANILA. For example, if you were born in Makati, write: Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines .
  • Former and/or other nationalities or citizenships: Only if you have one. Write N/A if you have none.
  • ID No. issued to you by your government: Any government-issued ID will do. I have tried using UMID. My cousin used Driver’s License. A few times, I wrote the passport number here too, I didn’t have any problem.
  • Passport type: Ordinary.
  • Passport number: Double check. Make sure it’s correct.
  • Place of issue: You can write the city name. In the case of Manila, you can write MANILA. You can also be specific. I usually write DFA NCR EAST, because that’s what’s on my passport.
  • Issuing authority: DFA.

tourist visa application to japan

  • Purpose of visit to Japan: If applying as a tourist, write TOURISM. If you’re visiting a friend or family, write VISIT FRIEND/FAMILY.
  • Intended length of stay in Japan: Number of days including the day of arrival.
  • Port of entry into Japan: Name of the airport. It can be Kansai, Narita, Chitose, etc.
  • Name of ship or airline: Just the name of the airline or the ship. It doesn’t matter if you’re already booked or not. If you’re concerned about funds, write a low-cost carrier like CEBU PACIFIC or JETSTAR.
  • Names and addresses of hotels or persons with whom applicant intends to stay: If applying as a tourist, write down the name, address and telephone number of your hotel. If you don’t know the exact address or telephone number of your hotel, Google it! If applying to visit someone in Japan, write their name, address, and contact number.
  • Dates and duration of previous stays in Japan. Write N/A if it’s your first time in Japan. If you’ve been to Japan before write the inclusive dates of your previous visits and the number of days. If you’ve been to Japan many times and it won’t fit, use a separate sheet and indicate it on the form.

tourist visa application to japan

  • Your current residential address: If you have more than one address, list them all on a separate sheet.
  • Telephone number: If you don’t have a landline number, write N/A.
  • Current profession or occupation and position: Be truthful! If your current occupation or position doesn’t match the ITR you’re submitting (for example, you moved to another company), you can write a letter explaining it.
  • Partner’s profession/occupation: If you’re single and of legal age, write N/A. If you’re married, write the profession of your partner. If for a minor, write the profession or occupation of parents.

tourist visa application to japan

  • Guarantor/Inviter Info: If you’re applying as a tourist and you’re shouldering all expenses, write N/A in ALL of the fields. If you have a guarantor, write their details. If the guarantor is the same as the inviter, write SAME AS ABOVE in the INVITER fields.

tourist visa application to japan

  • If you answered “Yes” to any of the above questions, please provide relevant details: If you answered NO to all the questions, write N/A.
  • Signature: Sign it by hand. I’m not sure if digital signatures are accepted, but I doubt it. If the applicant is minor, a parent or legal guardian can sign, but the relationship must be indicated below the signature.

Other Japan Visa Requirements

To see the other requirements, visit this page: JAPAN VISA REQUIREMENTS

Frequently Asked Questions

1. my guarantor is based in the philippines, not japan. should i write my guarantor’s details in the fields under “guarantor or reference in japan”.

This is the most confusing part. Travel agencies have different takes on this.

The last time we asked Reli Tours, they said YES, even if the guarantor is based outside Japan, you should still write down their details under “Guarantor or reference in Japan”. They might have changed their stance but that’s what they said last time.

But some agencies like Attic Tours say that you should write down N/A instead.

To be sure, what I suggest is to leave them blank temporarily and ask the agency what to do when it’s time to submit your application. If they tell you to enter your guarantor’s details, then do so right there and then. If they say write N/A then do it then.

Or you can call the designated agency where you plan to lodge your application beforehand.

2. Should all documents be printed on A4-size paper including the ITR and bank certificate?

Documents that you have control of like Schedule of Stay, Application Form or even COE should be A4.

In my experience, I’ve submitted ITR printed on legal size and bank certificate on letter size, but they were all accepted regardless. But I’m not sure if that’s still the case now or if that’s always the case.

2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣ • 3️⃣ • 1️⃣9️⃣

More Tips on YouTube ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Is this post helpful to you?

Tip Us

Related Posts:

  • JAPAN VISA REQUIREMENTS & Application for Tourists
  • HOW TO RENEW JAPAN VISA & Other Frequently Asked Questions
  • MULTIPLE ENTRY JAPAN VISA: Requirements & How to Apply
  • JAPAN VISA: LIST OF TRAVEL AGENCIES Accredited by the Embassy
  • Sample INVITATION LETTER for JAPAN VISA Application (Reason for Invitation)
  • SAMPLE ITINERARY for JAPAN VISA Application (Schedule of Stay)
  • Avoid These 12 COMMON MISTAKES when Applying for a JAPAN VISA!
  • JAPAN Suspends Visas Issued in the Philippines Prior to March 27

Visit Terms page for reminders

  • Recent Posts

Yosh Dimen

  • 2024 Resorts World One HONG KONG CRUISE Guide for First Timers - 13 April 2024
  • FLIGHT RESERVATION for VISA • How to Get Dummy Ticket for Schengen, Canada, China and Other Visa Applications - 22 March 2024
  • 2024 Cebu Pacific Promos & PISO SALE with List of Covered Destinations - 4 March 2024


Do i have to mention about my children or only my self and a husband? I dont see in the form about the children please answer my question thank you.


Ask ko lang, malaki ba chance na ma denied yung application mo pag may mga na leave ka na blank? like; other names, etc.?

Yosh Dimen

Hi Kairu, group application? You will have to enumerate your companions in an additional form called “Accomplished List of Visa Applicants.”

More info here:


Hi sir, base sa nabasa Kong information galing po sa inyong blog. Regarding po sa “BANK CERTIFICATE issued 3months before”. Eh ung sakin po Kasi mag request palang ako today April 23, 2019 then tomorrow April 24, 2019 sya ma release. Balak ko po Sana straight nako sa Japan Embassy sa Manila. Isubmit ko na po together with other documents. Possible po ba na ma approve ako kahit recent palang ung bank Certificate ko?

Muhammad saif

Sir Iam Muhammad saif Pakistan Army retired security guard job interest

Hi Zarina, that’s perfectly fine.

I think you misunderstood. It’s NOT “issued 3 months before.” It should be issued within the past 3 months.


hi, if issued ung birth certificate last nov 2017 and mag apply ako visa this december 2018, pwede pa kaya i-allow yun?

Hindi po, kasi lagpas one year na.

Jojee M.

Hi! What if i write down three addresses and they don’t fit in the space provided? should i just attach a separate piece of paper?

I think so.

Samantha De Castro

Hi, my ticket was from Manila to Osaka, but when I applied visa, I indicated that port if entry is Narita. will this be accepted?


Hi mag apply sana ako ng tourist visa paano po ba kasi first time po. Pinag aaply ako ng bf ko nasa japan salamat po. Gusto ko sana guide agency pde poba iyon

Accepted where? If sa visa application, dapat consistent.

If na-grant ka na ng visa pero iba ung entry point mo sa dineclare mo, I think ok lang un.


can I submit my payroll bank account?


Pno kung kktpos lng ng contract s ibang bnsa as ofw, gusto mg apply ano illgay s profession no.16 in application form, tnx

Hi Arth, kung ako po nasa lugar nyo, kung ano po yung profession nyo abroad kahit na tapos na contract. Pero ako lang po yun.


Okei lang po kung hindi nailagay ang sign by mother/father dun sa signature?


My Guarantor po ako. Tapos dun sa mismong visa application yung sa may work ko now, my need ba ko ipasa na itr? Kasi dun sa instruction mo sabi mo dapat my need ako isubmit. If meron saan ko po pwede kunin?

If your current occupation or position doesn’t match the ITR you’re submitting.

Hi Michiko, if the ITR and current employment don’t match, you need to write a letter explaining that you recently moved to a new company etc.


Hi sir. Ask ko po. Bf ko po is my Japanese guarantor Dun sa no.19 ilalagay ko ba N/A or ilalagay yung last na occupation nya? Retired na po BF ko.

Hi Aquajennie, I think #19 is for married lang so NA pa rin. Ask mo na lang din agency to be sure.


Ask ko lng Dba Pag first tym mag apply ng late rigestration , dba need ng form 137 and baptismal , tpos ipasa na ung both original non…. So pano Po pag pang second apply na Po need pa ba ulit ng both original ng form 137 at baptismal sa pangalawang apply ng visa Po ?


Napaka-useful nitong blog mo. Ang daming kong nakuhang tips. Napakalinaw ng explanation. Thanks!!! Taga-West ka ga?


hey hello.. my name shehroz, im apply japan visa. please tell me how to apply japan visa and which document required to visa.

If you’re a Filipino applying in the Philippines, this is our guide:

Otherwise, I don’t know how to help. :(


Hello. Reg. sa ID Number, do I have to put the specified ID after the number? Or basta number lang?


Hello! Ask ko lang yung guarantor ko is my sister and she is working as “Seafarer” or seawoman. Sa Royal Caribbean Cruise siya. Problem is wala silang ITR. anong pwede pa ipasa aside sa bank certificate? payslip nila or contract? Ano pwede ipalit sa ITR? pls reply. thanks

Hi Donna, ang alam ko, pwede sya magsulat ng explanation letter. Tapos submit ng other docs in its stead like payslip or COE. :)

Pero best to consult a travel agency kasi mas alam nila ang dapat gawin.

OK. Another question is yung sa visa application form na “if you have guarantor” dun ko ba i-ffill up yung name ng sister ko (taga dito siya Phils) or its applicable lang sa mga nakatira sa Japan? should i put N/a.

Hi Donna, iba-iba yung stance ng travel agencies about that. May nagsasabi na ilagay ay N/A kasi para lang daw yan pag sa Japan ung guarantor. Meron naman nagsasabi na ilagay dyan ung guarantor kahit nasa Pilipinas. Tawag ka na lang sa agency kung saan ka mag-aapply kasi medyo iba-iba talaga.


Hello i really need some advice i am from pakistan n my brother applied for japan visa since last year through some sponsor and from last two months he said you will get your visa very soon but all in vain.kindly tell me wat ll we do to do to find out whether he applied or not

I’m sorry but I’m not familiar with the process when it comes to other nationalities. :(


Hi po. Kapag po ba ang guarantor is nakatira sa Philippines, kailangan po ilagay yung name sa Guarantor / reference in Japan? Or yung section po na yun is for guarantor who lives in Japan?

Hi Inna, iba-iba yung stance ng travel agencies about that. May nagsasabi na ilagay ay N/A kasi para lang daw yan pag sa Japan ung guarantor. Meron naman nagsasabi na ilagay dyan ung guarantor kahit nasa Pilipinas. Tawag ka na lang sa agency kung saan ka mag-aapply kasi medyo iba-iba talaga.


If visiting multiple cities, e.g. Osaka, Nagoya & Tokyo, dapat ba ilagay name and address ng lahat ng accommodations? or kahit yung sa port of entry lang?

Hi Ysa, di ko alam kung ano ba dapat ang gawin pero ang parati kong ginagawa kapag multi-city, isa lang ang nilalagay ko sa form tapos the rest ay sa Schedule of Stay (Daily Itinerary) ko na nilalagay. Tinatanggap and naaapprove naman.


I want to apply for the Japan visa for the first time now while I still have my job so I can provide the requirements needed like COE and ITR. But truthfully, I really wanna quit my job na pagktapos, so say for example, I’m lucky to get approved, do you think there’s a huge chance for me to be offloaded by the Immigration during my flight date kasi kahit may approved visa ako eh I cant present any work documents na kasi I was only employed upon visa application but unemployed na upon my Japan visit?

I understand na medyo mahirap ipredict ang mga bagay bagay pagdating sa Immigration but I just really wanna know your opinion/insight on this based on your own experience or probably other people you know.

Thanks a bunch!

What’s your travel history like? And with whom are you traveling?

Want to travel with my boyfriend. Asian countries pa lang napuntahan ko so far, South Korea is one of them.

Thanks for the response!


Another question po,should I strictly follow the scheduled activities and flights?Cant I deviate from it?I’m planning to write about the tour around tokyo. But if ever my application gets approved can I do multi-city tour?

Yep, you can deviate from your submitted itinerary. :)

Hello I have an apartment. What will I write in occupation?is it Business owner or Self employed?and the name of employer? is it Self or the name of apartment?

Ay, di ko po alam kapag ganyang case.:S

rosita rama

Hi! I plan to leave on January 2020 can I apply now for Visa?

No. See FAQ 4.9 in this post:


Thank you for the detailed guide. I plan to visit my aunt/cousins and probably spend the Christmas/new year holidays there. Is it alright if I fill my itinerary with tourist activity even tho I will be staying at their house?

First time and personal expense. Thank you!

Yep! That’s fine. When I handle my cousins’ applications to visit my sister, I also put tourist activities in the itinerary.


Hi Sir I would like to ask kung required po ba na ung ipapasa na birth certificate from local register this year din nakuha meron po kasi ako copy ng Civil Registry Form No. 1A kaso year 2016 pa. Yung PSA ko po kasi medyo malabo letter E sa name ko

Di ko po alam :(

Thanks anyway =)


Hello po. Ask ko lang about number 20. Yung guarantor lang po ba FROM japan yung ilalagay na details? O kahit na from philippines din? Bali group po kami, ung brother ko ung magguarantor sakin. Salamat po sa isasagot po nyo.

Hi Uma, nasagot ko na po ito sa ibang comments sa taas.

Iba-iba yung stance ng travel agencies about that. May nagsasabi na ilagay ay N/A kasi para lang daw yan pag sa Japan ung guarantor. Meron naman nagsasabi na ilagay dyan ung guarantor kahit nasa Pilipinas. Tawag ka na lang sa agency kung saan ka mag-aapply kasi iba-iba talaga.


Hello! Good day!

Meron po akong gurantor/sponsor sa Japan, He’s a Friend, Permanent resident na po sya sa japan, do I still have to pass and ITR and Bank certificate kahit meron naman na po syang pinadalang mga papers like ITR/Bank certificate.

Though I don’t have ITR and COE yet because kaka pasa ko pa lang po sa boards, ano po kayang possibleng ipakita ko for proof na uuwi ako sa pinas, though I have an exam this October 27, for med. Okay na po kaya yun and my review center?

So much appreciated po for the answer.

This post might help:

If may guarantor, usually di na need ng employment and financial docs. Pero may mga cases na pede pa rin humingi ang embassy.


Thabks you! Oh paano po yan, since, what i said po i just passed my board exam so wala pa po akong work talaga :( so wala pa akong itr and coe .

Though volunteer pa lang po ako now sa redcross dahil wala pa pong bukas na hiring, pwede ko din ba ilagay dun sa form volunteer medtech ganun po? Position and occupation.

For me, if unemployed pa, the safest is to find a guarantor, preferably close relative. Mas straightforward kasi un. And Japan is one of the few countries na hindi kiss of death ang pagkakaroon ng sponsor.

Pag ipilit mo kasi to apply without ITR, you will need to write an explanation letter. Pero pwede rin naman yun. Feeling ko lang mas ok ang chances if my guarantor, in your case. Pero feeling ko lang yan ha. :)


Good evening po. Kailangan po ba talaga na mag pa reserve ng place to stay online before submitting JP Visa Application?

Nope. You just need to know where you PLAN to stay. No reservation needed. You just need the hotel name, address and contact number.


Hi sir.. ask ako about itr, below 250000 yong sahod ko annualy, so tax extemted ako, paano ba yan sir? need ba resibo sa itr? tnx

Hi Mark, usually kahit tax-exempted, meron pa rin dapat na ITR from your employer. Nakalagay lang na zero tax.

Di naman need ng resibo sa experience namin.

If wala ka talaga ITR, pwede ka gumawa ng explanation letter kung bakit. Pero mas maganda talaga kung meron.


Hi! Question! Dapat ba one page lang yung form kapag prinint? Harap at likod? :) Or pwedeng 2 pages? Thank you!

Kami 2 pages pag nagsusubmit


Hello, all set na po lahat ng finillupan ko for VISA, ang tanong ko lang po is yung balance ng bank account ko is almost empty bago magfirst week of the month. I plan to stay for 7 days, including the time of arrival and departure. How much po yung needed para mapprove ako?

See FAQ #11 here:

Dess Bautista

Good day po . Paano po kung unang country ko po na pupuntahan ay Japan . ppwede po ba kong kumuha ng visa? posible po kaya na maapprove po ?

Hi Dess, pwede pa rin naman. Mas may laban ka lang talaga pag may travel history na. Pero di naman ibig sabihin na denied agad pag di pa nakapunta ng ibang bansa.


Pano po ba mapapakita yung travel history sa pag pasa ng requirements? Bago lang kasi yung passport ko and nasa luma yung mga stamps.

You can submit photocopy of your past visas and stamps.


Hi po Yoshke, I am also a blogger and wala akong employer. Do you think okay na ilagay kong occupation is “Blogger” (similar to the one in your example) tapos N/A na lahat ng employer info?

Hi Lott, I wouldn’t recommend that. I think red flag pag N/A ang employer.

Need mo na ba magtravel to Japan agad? Is your blog your source of income?

Gerald Gonzales

Hello, please review po if tama yung procedures ko for getting my wife and son. 1. Application of COE, once na mareleased to ippdala ko lng po ito sa wife ko. 2. Apply lng po ni wifey ko sa Accredited agency ng Japan embassy sa pinas (e.g RELI TOURS & TRAVEL AGENCY,South Park 123, SM Mall of Asia, Bay City, Pasay City). 3. Wait for the release of visa then can go to Japan na.

Questions. For #2. Yun po bang application for ei handwritten at dun na fill upan sa agency or before going to agency pwedi prepare na? Yung po bang visa cost ei is per person? Normally po ganu ktgal marelease yung visa? Appreciate your advice po.

What do you mean “getting my wife and son”? Ang plan nyo po ba ay for them to move to Japan or mag-visit lang short-term?

If short-term lang, to answer your questions: 1. Pwede mo sya i-fill up beforehand para mabilis na ung process pag andun ka. Pag may di ka sure, i-blank mo na lang muna tapos ask the staff pag andun ka na.

2. Cost is per person.

3. Normally, 7 days ang processing.

For more information, visit:

Raymund Salle

Ask lang, kasi recently lang ako nagresign sa company ko 6 months ago and now helping sa family business namin. I am applying for a Japanese Visa for vacation sa november with regards to submitting an ITR, do I still need to include the ITR of my last company, plus a letter explaining why wala po akong ITR ngayon?

Another question is kung need ba maglagay ng guarantor provided na I am working sa family business? thank you po sa pagsagot :)

Hi Raymund,

Wala pa naman talagang ITR for 2019. Submit mo yung for 2018 tapos gawa ka explanation letter to say na you’re involved sa family business na.

Whether or not kailangan mo ng guarantor, depende sa finances mo.


Thanks for the step-by-step guide! Big help! Just a few follow up questions:

1.) Do I need to print and include my booking confirmation from the hostel I’ll be staying in? 2.) Other than the visa application form, should the rest of the documents (bank cert, COE, ITR, schedule of stay) be printed in A4 as well? 3.) How many photos should I submit to the agency?

Thanks in advance!

I’m assuming you’re applying for a tourist visa in the Philippines.

1. Not really. Hotel reservation is not a requirement. They just need to know where you PLAN to stay. You can still submit hotel reservations but it’s not a requirement.

2. Documents that you have control of like Schedule of Stay, App Form or even COE should be A4. In my experience, I’ve submitted ITR printed on legal size and bank certificate on letter size, wala namang naging problem. But I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

3. Just one.

Also do I need to print a copy of my government-issued ID and submit to the agency?

Thanks again!


hi goodafternoon po

1.)ask ko lang po since apat kaming mag aapply ako at 2kapatid then mother ko then yung mother ko ang aming guarantor pwede bang isang ITR na lng i provide namin and need ba naka A4 size din yung clear copy ng ITR?

2.)ask ko rin po kung pwede bang hand written ang fill up namin sa documents?

Hi Saidrex,

1. Sa experience ko po when I applied with family, 1 copy lang pinrovide namin. Actually, may dala kaming maraming copies pero 1 lang ang kinuha. Just make sure you also fill out the form called “List of Visa Applicants” para alam nila na group kayo. More info here:

2. Yep. Madalas handwritten ako magsubmit.


Dear Sir, I’m planning to go to Japan this Dec. Kaso i was worried pagdating sa immigration bcos i dont have any job or should i say housewife na lng ako now..ano ba mga needed docs na hihingin nila or malabo ang chances ko na mtatakan nila passport ko?thank you..sna matulungan mo ako

Juvelyn deleon

Hi yoshke Kaylangan ba mag submit ng travel clearance ang applicant(minor) to get a japan visa and what if kung baptismal lang ang isa submit dahil iba na ang address ng applicant(minor) nung nag aral sya. Yung applicant(minor) is 7yrs.old, grade2.

Hi Juvelyn,

Di naman po needed ang travel clearance pag visa application, sa experience ko applying for my niece and nephew.

Regarding baptismal/school record, di ko po alam ano gagawin sa case nyo po.


Good day. Ask ko lang re: filling application form. I will accompany my mom during our trip and will be covering for her expenses. I live and work in the Philippines. Should I fill-up the “Guarantor” area with my details? And then put N/A in the “inviter” area? Thank you so much!

Hi Dale, this has been asked many times in the Comments section, so I’m adding an FAQs section to this article na lang. See the new updates. Thanks!


Hi po. Ask ko lang po kasi hinahabol ko yung promo ng ticket for Japan and balak ko na syang bayaran tom. kahit mag aapply pa lang ako ng visa. Non refundable nga yung ticket and i take the risk na ipabook na kc sayang ung promo. Ask ko lang kung madami bang nadedeny s pagkuha ng visa application ? Im worrying din kc i cant provide for my itr but i have travelled several countries na like hongkong, taiwan and indonesia. Ano kayang chances ko na maapprove ang visa ko? Thanks.

Mahirap po ma-determine ung chances nang konti lang ang information.

Pero di naman ganun ka-strict ang Japanese embassy.

Nilda G. ramos

I just want to be honest, I have been deported in year 1999 in Japan,for overstaying because my family that time was financially unstable, I was lucky then to have a Japanese couple who treated me so well in a laundry shop so I rendered in return best of my ability in that work. My employer treated me so well, that some of my filipino co-workers envy me in that situation, my employer then was planning to get my children so we live together while I work with them, so they reported me to the Immigration. sad to say it ended to a broken marriage…Since then I became a single parent, with Gods blessing I was again blessed to have employed in the Philippine Government again until today. I am now in my senior age, all sons are now professionals, I want to visit Japan again , to treat myself as a single mom. Please help me.

Peripatetic Juan Travel and Tours

You could still possibly enter Japan because your ban period elapsed though it is not still guaranteed that you might get an entry visa for tourist as immigration has records of you already. You can try with all the papers that supports your financial capability and strong ties to your country as it will tell them that you are going back to your country. Good luck!

Hi Ma’am Nilda,

Unfortunately, I do not have any idea on what to do for cases like yours. :(

I think it’s best to consult a travel agency for that because they might know better.


Hi, Yoshke.

Pwede ba mag pasa ng dalawang bank / bank certificate (BPI/BPO)?

Hi Den, yep!


Dear sir, I am planning to go to japan in the month of December,i am not sure on which date i will arrive in japan its either 22 December or 25 December.In my application form if i write 22 December i will be arriving in japan and submit to the embassy,but then afterwards i change my arrival to 25th December is it ok if i do that

Hi Sam, yes, that’s alright, as long as it’s still within the validity period of the visa.


Hi po. Ask ko lang po ang opinion nyo reg my situation. Wala po akong, itr, coe or business reg. self employed po ako, i buy n sell used cars, sa letter of explanation ko, ilalagay ko link ng fb page ko para makita ng consul mga binebenta kong cars. May 7 figures po ako sa bank. What do u think of my chance getting tourist visa approve? Thanks

Hi Marie, di ko po kayo masagot nang sure. Usually pag walang ITR, nadadala naman sa explanation letter + other proof of income. Pero parang malabo ung FB page kasi madali lang namang gumawa ng FB page.

Ikay Medoza

Hi po! ano po kayang mas maganda, indicate ko po na may inviter ako (boyfriend ko) or mas ok po na wag na lang para di nila isipin na mag stay ako dun as tnt?


Just want to ask what is 60K enough money in the bank to have better chance of Japan Visa approval? I’ve been to 4 countries outside of the Philippines but it is my first time to apply for a Visa. Hope you can help.

Hi Ann. Merong mga naaapprove na 60K lang ang laman ng bank account. Depends on how long your trip is and sometimes, your ITR.

My apologies for the typo in my previous question. I wanted to ask if 60k is enough savings in the bank for Japan Visa application. I’m planning to visit Tokyo for 4 days. I’ve been to 4 countries outside of the PH but it is my first time to apply for a Japan Visa.


Hi, I am planning to book a trip to Japan for 5 days to visit my relatives and go for sightseeing as well. I live in Canada and I’m applying for a visa from my country. Regarding the question of what is my occupation, I don’t have a job and I’m currently a full-time student. In that case, what do I put?

Janet Lynn Montemayor

Hi. I intend to visit three cities in Japan (Matsuyama, Hiroshima, and Kyoto). I plan to stay in 3 different hotels, too. How do I fill out the application form, given that the space is not enough to mention the three hotels (name and address)?

Yung ginawa ko, ung first lang ang sinulat ko sa form tapos the rest, sa Schedule of Stay ko na nilagay . :)


Hi,gusto ko po sanang mag tour sa Japan for two weeks at iyong guarantor ko po is only my boyfriend. Pwde po ba iyon? Sa tingin ko parang mahirap nga kasi boyfriend ko lang… Pwde ko po bang ilagay na Instead boyfriend iyong guarantor ko ay friend nalang. Please I need your advice. Thanks


I am a senior citizen and this will be my 4th travel to Japan ,with my husband. But now my husband is already retired and no ITR to present. But we have Bank certificates. do you think this is enough proof we have money to travel? Thank you.

Hi po! Di ko po sigurado. Pwede po kayong magsulat ng letter explaining na he’s retired.

Pero best to contact the travel agency where you plan to lodge your application to be sure po.


I already have a multiple-entry visa for Japan. I would like to apply one for my baby who will be barely 1 year old by the time we plan to fly to Japan.

Also, I did not indicate her birth father on her birth certificate. She has my last name.

What requirements do I need?


Am not sure if you are able to answer this but I’ll try since we went to Japan multiple times already. Is it ok to apply for Japan Visa for a newly release passport? My friend told me that the passport should be active after 6 months from the release before applying for Visa. Is it true?

I have never heard that rule before.

But my niece got her passport September and we applied for a Japan visa 3 WEEKS later. She was granted a visa October same year. That’s way shorter than 6 months but she was still granted a visa.


Hello I have two bank certificates one with my name only and the other an ITF bank account with my mom. Should I still put my Mom as my guarantor? or Is it okay not anymore since my name appears in the account name. thank you.

Since you have a bank account with your name only, you can apply on your own without guarantor. Assuming, of course, it has sufficient funds and you have ITR too. :)


My ITR(2018) is still using my old address. Will this have issue with the current residential address I used in my other IDs?

What other IDs?

Not sure if magiging issue. But to be safe, you can simply write an explanation letter.


Hi! I just want to ask if possible mag apply for ME visa kahit naka guarantor lang? First timers po kami ng mom and brother ko, guarantor po namin father ko. Will probably go back sa Japan after our April trip. Or should we apply for SE only? Thank you!

If you fall under the categories here, pwede:


HI , on the “ID no Issued to you by your government” section , do i need to specify if this is a SSS id umid , passport etc ID? Example CRN-123456789452(UMID)

Me, I usually indicate the type of ID. :D


which date should i write on date of issue? like the date i issued my visa or the date of going to japan? I can’t book a plane yet cuz of corona. So there is no certain date.

The one on Page 1? Date of issuance of PASSPORT.

raquel fernandez

Hi. I just wanna ask, may sister po ako sa Japan and dun na sya nakatira. Kapag nag apply po ba ako ng tourist visa kahit unemployed ako may chance po ba na maapprove kasi may guarantor? Thank you.

Marinelle Gabriel

Hi! Your blog is very useful especially sa mga first timer na gaya ko. If I may ask po, I already have ticket for September 16-24, 2021 but I don’t have a hotel to stay kasi andun naman yung bf ko. But he’s not my guarantor. Can I put his address sa place to stay po?

Hi Marinelle! Thanks for your comment.

I’m assuming VISIT visa yung inaapplyan mo.

Yes, pwede mo ilagay ung address niya sa address (#14 sa post).

OK lang naman na yung pagse-stayan mo ay hindi mo guarantor or na wala kang guarantor. Just make sure na sa next page, leave the GUARANTOR section with N/A answers tapos ung INVITER section ung i-fill out mo.

Very helpful po. Thank you so much! God bless and stay safe po. :)

Rosemarie Manzano

Can I Travel to Japan I’m a US Green Card Holder


Required po ba magpasa ng COE?


I want to apply with my Wife for Japan Tourist Visa but she is not working currently so Bank Statement with Salary Credit she cannot show but I have all documents line Bank Statement, Employeer NOC etc.

Now my wife needs to fill separate Application form or I can fill her details in list of Visa Applicants?

Kindly guide.

Each applicant need to submit a separate application form. The list of visa applicants is just a reference to check which applicants are traveling together.

Cherry Davis

Hi. What if may guarantor, do i still need ITR and bank statements? Thanks.


Hi Yoshke! This post is so helpful. Just a question with a particular item on the application form tho! I am a Virtual Assistant and I registered myself in BIR as self-employed. When it comes to item # 18: (Name and Address of Employer part) – Should I write my name (since that’s how I registered the business, under my name) or Should I write my current client’s information? Thank you so much!


hi, if wala pa kong hotel and ticket, anong isusulat? :(

Di naman po required ang hotel and ticket. Kung ano pa lang ang target mong sakyan and pagstay-an.


Hi!! Thank you so much for this guide! Just a quick question. I’m a virtual assistant and currently working for just one client now. I registered myself in BIR as a professional as well (so I can file my taxes next year). In the employer name section, should I just write the name/company of my client? Or should I use my BIR information (business is just my name tho.)? Thank youuuu!

If I remember correctly, when I was a freelancer, I just wrote my job title / self-employed, and wrote by business name as registered.

(I think I’ve also tried writing my client’s company name on another occasion, but I also wrote a cover letter to explain it.)


Freelancer din po ako. Pano po kaya pag 2 employers. Balak ko ilagay name ng emloyers ko sa form pero pang isa lang ung space sa form. Okay lang na ilagay ko sya pareho sa space na un?or do i need another sheet?

ak dv

Hi, i have always been using your page as a ref every time i’m doing an application.but this time, i cannot find anywhere on how i can list all the hotels given that the space is very limited. Please help what should i do? Thank you!

If I remember correctly, you can just use a separate sheet. List them down and their details (address, phone number) and corresponding dates of stay on another page.


Hi, just wanna ask if I have to sign beside a mistaken information I fill in the form or I can just leave 2 strike throughs? Thanks

Venus Bongoyan

Ano po sinsavi sa baba na number of application max*10 po?un mag papa appointment ka sa consulate ng japan sa uae ng pa visa appointment.malaki kaliwanagan kung masagot nyo po sir Josh.

Naku di po ako familiar sa system sa consulate ng Japan sa ibang bansa.


Hi! I have a question.

Since yung guarantor ko po is My Mom with Permanen residence na sa Japan.

May kailangan pa po ba siyang kunin doon sa Japan Embassy? Or/May kailangan pa ba lagyan ng red ribbon yung letter of invitation and Letter of Guarantee?

For visa application, wala naman po. Need nyo lang po nung Guarantee letter, and Income Certificate (Shotoku Shomeisho) from City Hall, Tax return certificate (Nouzeishomeisho: Form 2) from Tax office (Kakuteishinkokusho Hikae), OR Bank Certificate (Yokin Zandaka Shomeisho). Best if you have all three.

Need po ng stamp ng mom mo ‘yung docs na ‘yan.


Hi po, hope na makita niyo po yung comment ko. I just wanted to clarify paano po yung counting sa intended length of stay? If for example April 1- 7 yung schedule, will it be 7 days po ba or 6 days? Thank you

Hi Van! If tama ang alala ko, it should be 7 days. Day of Arrival is considered Day 1.


Hi, how are you? Sir, ask ko lang po kapag ba student applicant sa part po na current profession or occupation and position ang ilalagay po ay Student then sa Name and Address of employer po ilagay po ba pangalan at address ng school or NA lang po ilagay ko? Please advise po if ano po dapat ilagay. Salamat po in advance. God Bless


Pano kung di ko na matandaan yung exact dates nung previous stay ko sa Japan? di ko narin mahanap yung old passport ko to check :(

Celestine C.

Hi, Dun po sa part ng employer section ng form, Pano po if I am working directly to my client (remote work direct client US) and I have three clients, is it okay lang po to put the names of my clients? Thank you


Hi. I am planning to apply for a multiple-entry visa (I already traveled to Japan early this year on single-entry) this week. And at the same time, I’m in the talks of moving to a new job/employer, though,I haven’t signed any contract yet (no start date yet) with the new employer and haven’t resigned from the current employer because everything is in the process of negotiations pa. I just want to ask, if magaapply ako ng visa this week, is it correct to put in NAME OF THE EMPLOYER field in the application form yung current employer ko pa din? I want to take a break sana before starting in the new job. Thanks!

Featured On

We heard you!

Your comment is now queued for moderation! We’ll try to get back to you soonest. While waiting, follow us on these channels.

Subscribe on Youtube! Follow us on Instagram!

We heard you!


Home → Apply Visa → Visa Type

Visa Information

Please select the consular district you live in to learn at which Visa Application Centre you can apply for a visa.

Regions under the Jurisdiction of Japan

Consulate General of Japan, Mumbai

Jurisdiction : Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Daman, Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli

Embassy of Japan, New Delhi

Jurisdiction : Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Lakshadweep, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tripura, Uttaranchal, Uttar Pradesh

Consulate General of Japan, Kolkata

Jurisdiction : West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and Odisha.

Consulate General of Japan, Chennai

Jurisdiction : Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Kerala and Pondicherry.

Consulate General of Japan, Bengaluru

Jurisdiction : Karnataka.

We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. If you continue to browse you accept the use of cookies on our site. See our Cookie Policy for more information.

  • Media & Industry
  • Meetings & Events
  • Select Language 简体中文 繁體中文(香港) 繁體中文(臺灣) India (English) Bahasa Indonesia 한국어 ภาษาไทย Tiếng Việt Singapore (English) Philippines (English) Malaysia (English) Australia/New Zealand (English) Français Deutsch Italiano Español United Kingdom (English) Nordic countries(English) Canada (English) Canada (Français) United States (English) Mexico (español) Português العربية Japan(日本語) Global (English)
  • India (English)
  • Bahasa Indonesia
  • Singapore (English)
  • Philippines (English)
  • Malaysia (English)
  • Australia/New Zealand (English)
  • United Kingdom (English)
  • Nordic countries(English)
  • Canada (English)
  • Canada (Français)
  • United States (English)
  • Mexico (español)
  • Global (English)
  • Fujiyoshida
  • Shimonoseki
  • Ishigaki Island
  • Miyako Island
  • Kerama Island
  • Tokyo Island
  • Koka & Shigaraki
  • Hida Takayama
  • Ginza, Nihonbashi
  • Beppu & Yufuin (Onsen)
  • Ginzan Onsen
  • Nagasaki Islands

tourist visa application to japan

  • Kumano Kodo
  • Shikoku Karst
  • Amami Oshima
  • Hachimantai
  • Omihachiman
  • Aizuwakamatsu

tourist visa application to japan

  • Diving in Japan
  • Skiing in Japan
  • Seasonal Flowers in Japan
  • Sustainable Outdoors
  • Off the Beaten Track in Japan
  • Scenic Spots
  • World Heritage
  • Home Stays & Farm Stays

tourist visa application to japan

  • Japanese Gardens
  • Japanese Crafts
  • Temple Stays
  • Heritage Stays
  • Festivals and Events
  • Theater in Japan
  • Japanese Tea Ceremony
  • Cultural Experiences in Japan
  • Culture in Japan

tourist visa application to japan

  • Local Cuisine Eastern Japan
  • Local Cuisine Western Japan
  • Local Street Food
  • Japan's Local Ekiben
  • Japanese Whisky
  • Vegetarian and Vegan Guide
  • Sushi in Japan Guide
  • Japanese Sake Breweries

tourist visa application to japan

  • Art Museums
  • Architecture
  • Performing Arts
  • Art Festivals
  • Japanese Anime and Comics
  • Japanese Ceramics
  • Local Crafts

tourist visa application to japan

  • Scenic Night Views
  • Natural Wonders
  • Theme Parks
  • Samurai & Ninja
  • Iconic Architecture

tourist visa application to japan

  • Wellness Travel in Japan
  • Japanese Ryokan Guide
  • A Guide to Stargazing in Japan
  • Relaxation in Japan
  • Forest Bathing (Shinrin-yoku)

tourist visa application to japan

  • Experiences in Japan
  • Enjoy my Japan
  • National Parks
  • Japan's Local Treasures
  • Japan Heritage
  • Snow Like No Other
  • Wonder Around Japan

tourist visa application to japan

  • Visa Information
  • Getting to Japan
  • Airport Access
  • COVID-19: Practical Information for Traveling to Japan
  • Anime Tourism
  • Countryside Stays
  • Accessible Tourism
  • Hokkaido Great Outdoors
  • Scenic World Heritage in Tohoku
  • Shikoku’s Nature and Traditions
  • Southern Kyushu by Rail

tourist visa application to japan

  • Traveling by Rail
  • How to Travel by Train and Bus
  • JR Rail Passes
  • Scenic Railways
  • Renting a Car
  • Sustainable Travel in Japan
  • Travel Brochures
  • Useful Apps
  • Online Reservation Sites
  • Eco-friendly Accommodation
  • Luxury Accommodations
  • Traveling With a Disability
  • Hands-free Travel
  • How to Book a Certified Tour Guide
  • Volunteer Guides
  • Tourist Information Center

tourist visa application to japan

  • Japanese Manners
  • Spring in Japan
  • Summer in Japan
  • Autumn in Japan
  • Winter in Japan
  • Cherry Blossom Forecast
  • Autumn Leaves Forecast

tourist visa application to japan

  • Japan Visitor Hotline
  • Travel Insurance in Japan
  • Japan Safe Travel Information
  • Accessibility in Japan
  • Vegetarian Guide
  • Muslim Travelers
  • Safety Tips

tourist visa application to japan

My Favorites

${v.desc | trunc(25)}

Planning a Trip to Japan?

Share your travel photos with us by hashtagging your images with #visitjapanjp

  • Visa Application

Travel Tips

AC Bonifacio in Japan


tourist visa application to japan

Top things to remember for first time travelers

Before you have an experience of a lifetime in your Japan trip, you just need to take care of the most important thing first, your Japan Tourist Visa! Below is a guide on how you can apply for your Japan Tourist Visa as well as fulfilling requirements for travelers to Japan.

tourist visa application to japan

How to Apply for Japan Tourist Visa

Below is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a Japanese Tourist Visa.

Note: The Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) cannot facilitate Visa applications  nor can we answer Visa-related inquiries.

For Visa-related inquiries, kindly contact the Japanese Embassy in the Philippines.

  • Passport (holder’s signature required)
  • Visa Application form (one 4.5cm x 3.5 cm facial photo must be attached)
  • Birth Certificate (issued by PSA within one year)
  • Marriage Certificate (issued by PSA within one year, for married applicants only)
  • Itinerary in Japan

Note: If there is a used Japanese Visa on your passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate are unnecessary.

If applicant will shoulder part/all travel expenses:

  • Bank certificate
  • Photocopy of Income Tax Return (BIR Form 2316)

If a guarantor will shoulder part/all travel expenses:

  • Guarantee letter
  • Proof of relationship between applicant and guarantor (e.g. birth certificates)
  • Bank Certificate

You can get the application form from The Embassy of Japan in the Philippines website .

Make sure to make extra copies.

You can submit your application form with the required documents through these  accredited travel agencies .

The Visa-handling fee for the Japan Tourist Visa varies per travel agency. You must pay the fee after you submit your documents.

The travel agency will contact you if your passport is ready for pickup.

Guides for Entry to Japan

Useful links.

Visit Japan Web   

Visit Japan Web is a web service that people entering Japan can use to fast-track Immigration, and Customs procedures in order to enter/return to Japan.


COVID-19 Protocols

Learn everything you need to know about traveling to Japan with COVID-19 protocols.


  • Irasshaimase

Please Choose Your Language

Browse the JNTO site in one of multiple languages


Get started

An Essential Guide To Japan Tourist Visa Application Process And Requirements

Last Update: 08-04-2024

tourist visa application to japan

Aditya Jain

tourist visa application to japan

⚡Quick Summary

Do Indians Need a Japan Tourist Visa?

Yes, Indian nationals planning a trip to Japan need to secure a tourist visa in advance. This visa is specifically designed for those travelling for leisure and does not permit any business or employment activities. To facilitate the process, Indian applicants have the option to apply for a Japan e-visa via Teleport or by visiting the VFS visa application centre. 

27+ applied recently

Approval Rate

Table of Contents

Introduction, how to apply for a japan tourist visa.

Japan Tourist Visa Document Requirements

What is the Processing Time for a Japan Visa for Indians?

Japan Tourist Visa for Indian Fees

  • What is the Validity of a Japan Tourist Visa for Indians

Can I Extend my Japan Tourist Visa for Indians?

How to check the status of a japan visa application for indians, do i require an airport transit visa for japan, reasons for japan visa rejection in india, what to do after reaching japan airport, additional resources.

Heading to Japan from India? Our detailed guide outlines everything you need to know about securing a Japan tourist visa for Indian citizens.

From Japan tourist visa requirements to the cost of a Japan tourist visa, we've got all bases covered. Whether you're looking to apply for an e-visa or considering other visa application options, we'll guide you through each step clearly and simply.

Prepare for an unforgettable journey to Japan. Continue reading to navigate your Japanese travel preparations with ease and confidence!

Can't locate the information you're seeking? Get in touch with our Teleport visa specialists at 073148 52914 , or message us on WhatsApp . We're here to assist you at every turn.

Next, let's delve into the details of acquiring a visa for Japan!

Can Indians Get a Japan Visa on Arrival?

Japan does not offer a visa on arrival facility for Indian nationals. Thus, travellers holding an Indian passport are required to secure a visa before their journey to Japan.

Get Your Japan Visa with Teleport

Teleport makes applying for a Japan visa straightforward and stress-free. Follow these steps for a smooth application process:

Step 1: Start Your Japan Visa Application:

Go to Teleport's Japan visa application page and select 'Apply for Visa.'

Step 2: Enter Basic Information and Make Payment:

Provide digital copies of the front and back of your passport. Teleport allows you to either automatically populate your data or enter it by hand. Opt to pay the visa fee either in full or partially upfront.

Step 3: Courier your Documents:

A Teleport relationship manager will guide you through collecting all necessary Japan tourist visa documents for Indians for Japan visa application. Courier all the required documents to the nearest Teleport office.

Step 4: Appointment Booking:

Your Teleport relationship manager will schedule an appointment at the visa application centre and will submit the documents on your behalf at the centre.

✅ Teleport thoroughly checks your application and documents before they are submitted to the embassy.

✅ Teleport couriers your document back with no extra charges.

After the embassy has reviewed your application, Teleport will inform you of your application status through the platform. 

Apply for Japan Visa through VFS Global

Step 1: Visit the VFS Website

Access the VFS (Visa Facilitation Services) website dedicated to Japan visa applications.

Step 2: Select Your Visa Type

Choose the visa category that matches your reason for visiting Japan, like tourism, business, or study.

Step 3: Book an Appointment

Find a Visa Application Centre near you and schedule a time to submit your visa application. Make sure it falls under your area of jurisdiction.

Step 4: Fee Payment

Pay your appointment fees at the time of booking your appointment. You will have to pay the visa fees at the time of your appointment.

Step 5: Attend Your Appointment 

Bring all required documents, such as your completed application, passport, photos, and additional supporting documents, to your appointment at the Visa Application Centre.

Step 6: Application Tracking

Use the VFS website to monitor the progress of your visa application by keeping your reference number close.

Step 7: Passport Collection

After your visa gets approved, pick up your passport from the Visa Application Centre or follow the given collection instructions.

Japan visas will now be issued electronically, eliminating the need for a visa sticker on passports.

Here's How It Operates:

Upon receiving an eVISA, travellers are required to present the "visa issuance notice" on a mobile device at the airport, ensuring they have internet access. It's crucial to note that the notice must be displayed in its original digital format; PDFs, photos, screenshots, or printed copies will not be accepted.

tourist visa application to japan

Mandatory Documents

Supporting documents:.

The Japan Tourist visa processing time for Indians is generally about 10 working days once all the required documentation is submitted and received.

Teleport Expert Tip

Start your Japan visa application process up to three months before your intended travel date. Although it's an eVisa, you'll still need to book an appointment at the visa application centre well in advance to secure an available slot.

What is the Validity of a Japan Tourist Visa for Indians?

The Japan tourist visa grants Indian nationals a validity of up to 90 days, permitting a stay of up to 15 days per visit within the country. For those choosing a multiple-entry visa, re-entry into Japan is possible multiple times throughout the 90-day period.

The period of validity for a visa cannot be extended. Foreign nationals residing in Japan who wish to extend their stay must consult with the regional immigration bureau for guidance and assistance.

Stay Informed About Your Japan Visa Application with Teleport

With Teleport, you can effortlessly keep tabs on the progress of your Japan visa application. If you've applied via Teleport, expect to get updates in real-time via WhatsApp, email, or directly within the Teleport Dashboard .

Here's how to check your application's progress:

  • Sign into the Teleport Dashboard .
  • Navigate to 'Your Applications.'
  • Select your application to see its current status.

Monitor Your Japan Visa Application Through VFS

For an alternative way to keep track of your Japan visa application, you can use the VFS Global service:

  • Access the VFS online application tracking page.
  • Input the application reference number you received after making your payment at the VFS centre.
  • Fill in your Date of Birth.
  • Enter ‘Submit’ to view your application status.

Indians travelling through Japan do not require a transit visa, provided they stay within the airport's transit area and have the necessary documents proving their onward journey to another country. If your layover involves a same-day connecting flight and you do not leave the airport's transit zone, a transit visa is not needed.

However, should you wish to explore and visit places in Japan during your layover, obtaining a transit visa is essential. Transit visas are typically valid for up to 15 days. The required documents for a transit visa application usually include:

  • A completed visa application form, accompanied by a photograph.
  • Your passport.
  • Confirmed flight tickets showing your travel route.
  • A copy of the visa to your primary destination.
  • A bank statement to verify financial stability.

When applying for a Japanese visa, knowing what could potentially lead to a denial is crucial for strengthening your application and boosting the likelihood of getting approved. Here are some important considerations:

  • Lack of Proper Documentation: Submitting incorrect or misleading information can cause your application to be immediately declined and may also affect future attempts. All Japan tourist visa documents for Indians that you submit must be authentic, completed and satisfactory.
  • Not Enough Proof of Financial Stability: It's important to show a bank balance of at least INR 1,00,000 to cover your travel expenses and any emergencies that might arise.
  • Questionable Travel Record: A history of overstaying visas in other countries could be seen as a red flag, suggesting a risk of not adhering to Japan's visa regulations.
  • Intentions Under Scrutiny: Not being able to convincingly explain the reason for your visit and its consistency with your planned activities might arouse suspicion. Expressing plans to work on a visa that doesn't allow employment could result in denial. The activities planned in Japan, the applicant's civil status or position, and the intended duration of stay must align with the conditions for the status of residence and the period of stay as outlined in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act.

When you arrive at a Japanese airport, here are key points visitors should keep in mind:

  • Prepare your travel documents: Ensure you have your passport, valid Japan visa (if applicable), return flight ticket, and accommodation confirmations at hand. This streamlines the immigration process.
  • Advice for minors : Minors travelling alone should remain with the airline staff assigned to them for security. Upon landing, locate the pre-arranged adult who will meet you, ensuring a seamless arrival.
  • Familiarise yourself with Japan's regulations: Head to the customs area if you need to declare items or if your baggage requires inspection. Understanding the customs rules at Japanese airports is crucial to prevent any complications.

VFS Global Japan Visa

Teleport Japan Visa Application Portal

VFS Application Tracking Tool

Embassy of Japan in India Delhi

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

To sum up, securing a tourist visa for Japan as an Indian citizen demands careful planning and attention to details. This includes familiarising yourself with Japan tourist visa requirements and application procedure, preparing all necessary documentation.

Applications can be made through recognized channels such as Teleport or VFS Global. Adhering to Japan tourist visa requirements upon airport arrival is vital for a smooth transition.

With the right preparation and by following these guidelines, Indian visitors can fully engage with Japan's rich cultural heritage, stunning scenery, and dynamic cities confidently.

For any questions or needed support, our committed team is ready to assist. Contact us at 073148 52914 or through WhatsApp .

Safe travels and enjoy your enriching journey through Japan!

Do Indian citizens need a visa to visit Japan?

What is the processing time for a Japan tourist visa for Indians?

How long can I stay in Japan with a tourist visa?

How much does a Japanese tourist visa cost for Indian passport holders?

How much bank balance is required to get Japan tourist visa for Indians?

Can I get a visa on arrival in Japan?

Can I reapply immediately after my visa application was rejected?

Get your visa by undefined, if you apply today .

Stay duration, visa validity.

✔ 90% visas get issued within days

tourist visa application to japan

TIPS: What you need to know about getting a Japan visa

Planning to travel to Japan any time soon?

Applying for a visa can be daunting, but it shouldn't stop you from taking that trip to see the Land of the Rising Sun. With some proper preparation of all the necessary documents, you'll be able to get approved for your Japan vacation.

There are different types of Japanese visas but we'll focus more on the tourist ones for those who want to go on a quick leisure trip to experience the country. There are two common tourist visas: the single-entry allowing holders to enter Japan once and stay for as long as 90 days, and the multiple entry visa which lets the holder enter the country many times within a specified period for at least 15 to 30 days each stay. Here are the requirements you'll need to get ready.

  • Valid Philippine passport  in good condition, must be signed and have at least two blank visa pages
  • Visa application form which you can download here
  • Your itinerary in Japan which includes your port of entry, where you intend to stay and the contact number of the accommodation
  • A passport photo 2 x 1.4 inches with a white background taken within six months
  • If your birth certificate is "late registration," you must also submit a  Baptismal Certificate  and a Form 137  from high school or elementary, both of which must be issued within at least three months
  • You only need to submit a birth certificate if you have never applied for a Japan visa before
  • You will also need to write a letter of authorization for the Japan Embassy to verify your birth certificate
  • Original Marriage Certificate (if married) issued within one year
  • Bank Certificate  of a personal account (not company/business) issued within three months
  • A copy of your latest Income Tax Return

If someone else will be shouldering your travel expenses, you must also submit the following:

  • Guarantee letter
  • Proof of relationship between applicant and guarantor
  • Bank Certificate and Income Tax Return of the guarantor

Once you've acquired all the requirements, choose an accredited travel agency from this list from the Japanese Embassy. Fees may cost P950 to P1,200 for a single entry visa, depending on the travel agency.

Multiple-entry requirements

Want to get a multiple-entry visa? This type of visa has some conditions for issuance, so it may not be as easy to get one. For instance, you will need to have a history of travel as a temporary visitor to the country in the last three years.

If you pass the conditions, you will need the same requirements as above but also include an explanation letter for requesting multiple entry, proof of your travel to Japan in the last three years, and proof of financial capacity. 

So how much money do you need in your bank account to get your visa approved? The Japanese Embassy hasn't really specified a certain amount but what's advised is to have enough to fund your travel expenses. 

As for how long a tourist visa is processed, it will usually take seven to 10 business days. It's best to get your visa processed a month before your trip so you have ample time to request documents that you might not have around.

Additionally, you don't need to book a hotel or a flight before your visa is processed. In fact, travel agencies advise against it. It's best to book once your visa is approved.

Remember, just because you submitted all your documents, it doesn't automatically mean that you'll be granted the visa.

This article TIPS: What you need to know about getting a Japan visa was originally published in PhilSTAR L!fe

TIPS: What you need to know about getting a Japan visa

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs website uses JavaScript. Please turn on "JavaScript" and use it.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

 Fees must be paid for the issuance of visas. The fees are about 3,000 yen for a single-entry visa, 6,000 yen for a double-entry or multiple-entry visa, and 700 yen for a transit visa. Fees are collected in the currency of the country (region) in which the Embassy / Consulate General is located.

 Depending on the purpose of your visit and your nationality, fees may not be required or may be a different amount.

 If the visa is not issued, no fees are required. The processing fees are needed in addition to the visa issuance fees in case the visa application is made through an approved agency by the Embassy / Consulate General of Japan.


  1. JAPAN VISA APPLICATION FORM: Sample + How to Fill it Out

    tourist visa application to japan

  2. How To Apply Tourist Visa In Japan

    tourist visa application to japan

  3. Japan tourist visa

    tourist visa application to japan

  4. Japan tourist visa application form|| Japan visa application form to

    tourist visa application to japan

  5. JAPAN VISA APPLICATION FORM: Sample + How to Fill it Out

    tourist visa application to japan

  6. A Guide on How to Apply for or Renew Your Japan Tourist Visa

    tourist visa application to japan


  1. Japan Visit Visa documents

  2. Japan Work Permit

  3. How to Apply for Japan Tourist Visa 2023

  4. How To Apply Online Japan Visit Visa From Pakistan

  5. Japan E Visa for Pakistani Passport from Dubai

  6. Japan Tourist Visa approved


  1. VISA

    Inquiries about Visas Application. Foreign Residents Support Center (FRESC) MOFA Visa Information. Yotsuya Tower 13F, 1-6-1 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0004 Navi-Dial: 0570-011000. (For some IP phones and calls from overseas, please call +81-3-5369-6577) Monday to Friday, 09:00-17:00.

  2. VISA

    April 1, 2024. Japanese. Tweet. Foreign nationals/people who wish to travel to Japan for tourism for a short-term period can apply for a visa online and receive an electronic visa (eVISA) through the JAPAN eVISA system. As of April 1, 2024, the JAPAN eVISA system is available for nationals/people residing in the following countries/regions.

  3. Visa and Travel Information

    If you do NOT need a visa, skip to STEP #6. Prepare all the required documents: Types of Visas & Documents. Visit the Embassy of Japan and submit all the documents: Application Drop-off Hours. Visit the Embassy of Japan to pick up the visa and pay the visa fee: Pick-up/payment Hours & Fees.


    Purpose of visit to Japan Dates and duration of previous stays in Japan Date of arrival in Japan *Official use only. Port of entry into Japan Name of ship or airline ... Information will only be used for the purpose of processing the visa application and to the extent necessary for the purposes stated in Article 8 of the Act.

  5. Japan Tourist Visa

    The process for a Japan Tourist Visa application can be summed up as follows: Contact the Japanese Embassy/Consulate to make an appointment for the submission of the application. Some Japanese Embassies do not accept individual applications, however, so you have to apply through a travel agency. The agency will submit the application at the ...

  6. Temporary Visitor Visa

    A Temporary Visitor Visa is for those who intend to stay in Japan for 90 days or less for such purposes as follows: Sightseeing; sports; visiting relatives, friends, or acquaintances; visiting a sick person; attending a wedding or funeral ceremony; participating in athletic tournaments; contests etc. as an amateur; business purposes (such as market research, business liaison, business ...

  7. Visas to Japan for U.S. Citizens

    Fingerprint/Photo Requirements for Entry to Japan All foreign nationals entering Japan, with the exemption of certain categories listed below, are required to provide fingerprint scans and be photographed at the port of entry. This requirement does not replace any existing visa or passport requirements. Foreign nationals exempt from this new requirement include special permanent residents ...

  8. Japan Visa Requirements

    Any foreign visitor entering Japan must have a valid passport for the duration of their stay, and all visitors must comply with the conditions of their visas. See below for information about the current visa requirements for Japan. Visa Information. If you have any further questions, please contact the Japanese embassy or consulate in your ...

  9. Visa Overview

    Visa Overview. JAPAN VISA INFORMATION HOTLINE (24 hours / 7 days a week, English only) - 1-888-704-4459 (From U.S.A.) - 1-787-296-8046 (From Puerto Rico) * This hotline is designated for visa applicants residing in the U.S.A or Puerto Rico. * If you are calling from the U.S.A or Puerto Rico, you will be charged a domestic call fee for your call.


    "I hereby consent to the provision of my personal information (by an accredited travel agent, within its capacity of representing my visa application) to the Japanese embassy/consulate-general and (entrust the agent with) the payment of my visa fee to the Japanese embassy/consulate-general, when such payment is necessary." (Day)/(Month)/(Year)

  11. Tourist Visa In Japan: A Simple Guide [April 2024 Update]

    For a single-entry visa, the fee is 3,000 Yen.For a double-entry or multiple-entry visa, the fee is 6,000 Yen.. The processing time for a Japanese Tourist Visa is five working days, starting when the Embassy or Consulate receives your completed application.. Generally, the E-VISA issuance fee is 3700 yen, approx.However, the visa fees may be waived or reduced for specific countries and regions ...

  12. Japan Tourist Visa: Requirements and Application Process

    Applying for Japan tourist visa at the embassy is usually a 5 step process. Step 1: Gather all the necessary documents. Step 2: Apply in person at the Japanese embassy. Step 3: Remain available to reach - the embassy may request additional documents or an in-person interview.

  13. Information for U.S. Citizens Traveling to Japan

    U.S. citizens needing urgent assistance should contact us by using our inquiry form or phone (03-3224-5000). If you need after-hours assistance in an emergency, please call 03-3224-5000 and ask to speak with the Embassy's duty officer. Emergency Contact Information for U.S. citizens.

  14. Japan Visa

    Most foreigners who want to visit Japan will have to apply for a Japan Visa before they travel. Millions of people visit Japan every year - in fact, only in 2018, Japan received over 30 million tourists. ... A Japan Visa Application Form completed and signed. Booked flight ticket. Proof of sufficient financial requirements, such as bank ...

  15. FAQ about JAPAN eVISA

    A3: It is a visa that is issued and recorded electronically. If you apply through JAPAN eVISA, an electronic visa (eVISA) will be issued. You will not have a visa sticker in your passport. When checking in at the airport, you will be asked to display a "visa issuance notice" on your device (e.g. smart-phone, tablet) to prove that you have a ...

  16. Visas

    Visa Waiver Program. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business (visitor visa purposes) for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Not all countries participate in the VWP, and not all travelers from VWP countries are eligible to use the program.

  17. JAPAN VISA APPLICATION FORM: Sample + How to Fill it Out

    How to Fill Out Japan Visa Application Form. First, a few important reminders. Complete the form either by hand or electronically. Either is accepted. If you go the hand-written route, make sure that you write in block letters and that they are readable. In fields that don't apply to you, write NA. Don't leave any field blank.

  18. Visa Information

    Apply for VISA to Japan In India ... Please select the consular district you live in to learn at which Visa Application Centre you can apply for a visa. Regions under the Jurisdiction of Japan Consulate General of Japan, Mumbai. Jurisdiction : Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh ...

  19. What's your single best tip for traveling in Japan? Here's what

    4. Bring fun socks. "Bare feet in Japan is a big no-no. Travelers should expect to remove their shoes often in Japan and should always have socks on when they do so. The removal of shoes might ...

  20. Visa Application

    Step 1. Prepare the following documents. Passport (holder's signature required) Visa Application form (one 4.5cm x 3.5 cm facial photo must be attached) Birth Certificate (issued by PSA within one year) Marriage Certificate (issued by PSA within one year, for married applicants only) Itinerary in Japan. Note: If there is a used Japanese Visa ...

  21. Japan Tourist Visa :Requirements, Application Process & Fees

    Yes, all Indian passport holders require a visa to visit Japan. Japan tourist visa Processing time. 10 Working Days. Japan tourist visa fees. Single or Multiple Entry: INR 500. VFS Service Fees: INR 800. Japan tourist visa validity. 90 days. Japan tourist visa stay duration.

  22. TIPS: What you need to know about getting a Japan visa

    There are two common tourist visas: the single-entry allowing holders to enter Japan once and stay for as long as 90 days, and the multiple entry visa which lets the holder enter the country many ...

  23. Visa Fees

    July 22, 2015. Japanese. Tweet. Fees must be paid for the issuance of visas. The fees are about 3,000 yen for a single-entry visa, 6,000 yen for a double-entry or multiple-entry visa, and 700 yen for a transit visa. Fees are collected in the currency of the country (region) in which the Embassy / Consulate General is located. Depending on the ...