Situation in Haiti April 5, 2024

U.s. citizens in haiti, update april 12, 2024, information for u.s. citizens in the middle east.

  • Travel Advisories |
  • Contact Us |
  • MyTravelGov |

Find U.S. Embassies & Consulates, congressional liaison, special issuance agency, u.s. passports, international travel, intercountry adoption, international parental child abduction, records and authentications, popular links, travel advisories, mytravelgov, stay connected, legal resources, legal information, info for u.s. law enforcement, replace or certify documents.

Before You Go

Learn About Your Destination

While Abroad


Share this page:

Travel Advisory July 26, 2023

Spain - level 2: exercise increased caution.

Reissued with obsolete COVID-19 page links removed.

Exercise increased caution in Spain due to  terrorism  and  civil unrest .

Country Summary:  Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Spain. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.

Demonstrations are common. They may take place in response to political or economic issues, on politically significant holidays, and during international events.

Read the  country information page for additional information on travel in Spain.

If you decide to travel to Spain:

  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
  • Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities.
  • Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program  ( STEP ) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on  Facebook  and  Twitter .
  • Review the  Country Security Report  for Spain.
  • Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the  Traveler’s Checklist .

Embassy Messages

View Alerts and Messages Archive

Quick Facts

6 months recommended, 3 months beyond your date of departure is required

1 page per stamp

None required for less than 90 days

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Madrid Calle Serrano, 75 28006 Madrid, Spain Telephone: (34) 91-587-2200 Emergency after-hours telephone: (34) 91-587-2200  Fax: (34) 91-587-2303 E-mail: [email protected]

U.S. Consulate General Barcelona Paseo Reina Elisenda de Montcada, 23 08034 Barcelona, Spain Telephone: (34) 93-280-2227 Emergency after-hours telephone: (34) 91-587-2200  Fax: (34) 93-280-6175 E-mail: [email protected]

U.S. Consular Agency Fuengirola (Málaga) Avenida Juan Gómez "Juanito", 8 Edificio Lucía 1º-C 29640 Fuengirola (Málaga), Spain Telephone: (34) 95-247-4891 Fax: (34) 95-246-5189 E-mail: [email protected]

U.S. Consular Agency Las Palmas Edificio Arca Calle Los Martinez de Escobar 3, Oficina 7 35007 Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain Telephone: (34) 92-827-1259 Fax: (34) 92-822-5863 E-mail:   [email protected]

U.S. Consular Agency Palma de Mallorca Edificio Reina Constanza Porto Pi, 8, 9-D 07015 Palma, Islas Baleares, Spain Telephone: (34) 97-140-3707  Fax: (34) 97-140-3971 E-mail: [email protected]

U.S. Consular Agency Seville Plaza Nueva 8-8 duplicado 2nd Floor, Office E-2 No.4 41101 Sevilla, Spain Telephone: (34) 95-421-8751 Fax: (34) 95-422-0791 E-mail:   [email protected]

U.S. Consular Agency Valencia Doctor Romagosa 1, 2-J 46002 Valencia, Spain Telephone: (34) 96-351-6973 Fax: (34) 96-352-9565 E-mail:   [email protected]

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Spain for information on U.S.-Spain relations.  

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

U.S. citizens traveling to Spain are not subject to any COVID-19 entry restrictions.

Spain is a party to the  Schengen Agreement . This means that U.S. citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourism or business without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. You must have sufficient funds and a return airline ticket. Visit the  Embassy of Spain  website for the most current visa information.

Traveling Through Europe : If you are planning to visit, transit and/or travel through European countries, you should be familiar with the requirements of the Schengen Agreement. 

  • Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. If you plan on transiting a Schengen country, review our U.S. Travelers in Europe page .    
  • You will need sufficient proof of funds and a return plane ticket .  
  • For additional information about visas for the Schengen area, see the Schengen Visa page.

Students and athletes:  Students, prospective students, and athletes should visit the  Embassy of Spain  website for additional information on entry requirements. You should not travel to Spain as a student or for an athletic/study program without the appropriate Spanish visa. U.S. citizen students and athletes have been denied entry and held in immigration detention at Spanish airports awaiting return flights to the United States because they lacked the appropriate visa. If your coach or sponsoring program says that you do not require a visa to study, play for a sports team, or participate in a sports training program in Spain, you should confirm this information with the nearest Spanish consulate in the United States before you travel.

U.S. citizen minors living in Spain:  Spanish law mandates that all Spanish minors traveling internationally without their parents or legal guardians must have written notarized permission from a parent or guardian. The law also applies to foreign, minor residents if their country of nationality also requires parental permission. While U.S. law does not require minors traveling without a parent/guardian to have the parents’/guardians’ written permission, Spanish authorities and airlines have occasionally misinterpreted the law and stopped U.S. citizens minors from departing the country. Therefore, parents/legal guardians should consider preparing a notarized, written permission for their U.S. citizen minor children to travel abroad unaccompanied or with a third party.

HIV/AIDS restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Spain.  

Find information on dual nationality , prevention of international child abduction , and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Terrorism:  Terrorist groups and those inspired by such organizations are intent on encouraging or conducting attacks worldwide, including within Europe. Terrorists are increasingly using less sophisticated methods of attack – including knives, firearms, and vehicles – to target crowds more effectively. Frequently, their aim is unprotected or vulnerable targets, such as: 

  • High-profile public events (sporting contests, political rallies, demonstrations, holiday events, celebratory gatherings, etc.)
  • Hotels, clubs, and restaurants frequented by tourists 
  • Places of worship 
  • Schools 
  • Parks 
  • Shopping malls and markets 
  • Public transportation systems (including subways, buses, trains, and scheduled commercial flights)  

Spain’s open borders with its Western European neighbors allow the possibility for terrorists to enter and exit the country anonymously. Additionally, Spain’s enclaves in Melilla and Ceuta on the North African coast allow for entry into Spain from the African continent. Spain has taken robust actions to guard against terrorist attacks, including arrests of suspected extremists allegedly involved in terrorist plots. Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue to plot potential attacks in Europe, including Spain.

For more information, see our Terrorism page.  

Crime:  Pickpocketing and other minor crimes, such as theft, are very common in Spain including instances where the victim is purposefully distracted to facilitate the theft. Street crimes against U.S. citizens usually occur in  tourist areas, including airports, train stations, and both urban and beach destinations .

Violent crimes, including robberies, have also been reported. Some instances have required the victim to seek medical attention. Car break-ins are also frequent in Spain.

Use common sense, awareness and the same personal security measures you would normally use in any large city or tourist destination.

Keep track of your passport at all times, including on flights and other modes of transportation. There have been reports of passports being stolen on planes en route to Spain. Do not leave bags unattended. Keep them in sight and avoid placing passports, cash, cell phones, or other valuables in the outer pockets of backpacks or purses on tables or floors, grounds in public places. Do not leave bags slung over the backs of chairs, on hotel or store counters, on top of your suitcase or travel bag, or out of your physical control in hotel lobbies, car rental locations, train stations, restaurants, and other public places. Avoid carrying your passport unless needed for travel, especially in tourist areas. Instead, carry a photocopy or photo of your passport’s biographical information page and consider leaving your passport in a secure location, such as a hotel safe. Your passport will be required to check in into any hotel in Spain and may be required for trains or tourist sites.

Sexual Assault:  The U.S. Mission in Spain has received numerous reports of sexual assaults affecting U.S. citizens, especially younger travelers, students, and exchange teachers.

Navigating the Spanish criminal justice system after surviving a sexual assault has been difficult for many U.S. citizen victims, who report feeling judged and re-victimized throughout the very lengthy process.

Although it is not required, many U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault in Spain have found it helpful to hire a local attorney to be their advocate and defend their rights during any judicial process or use the help of the local Office of Victim’s Assistance. Information about the local victim’s assistance program is given out at the police station when the report is filed.

There have been numerous reports alleging sexual assaults against U.S. citizen students by Manuel Blanco Vela, a representative of a tour operator based in Seville, Spain. Conduct research online to determine who owns and operates tour companies to make informed choices.

Many sexual assaults occur at night or during the early morning hours. In most cases, assailants take advantage of alcohol or drugs to make victims more vulnerable.

Domestic Violence:  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence should call the toll-free emergency number in Spain, 016, for assistance, and the U.S. Embassy in Madrid at (34) 91-587-2200 or U.S. Consulate General Barcelona at (+34) 93-280-2227. Note that the local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

Victims of Crime:  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or other violent crimes are encouraged to report crimes to the local emergency services at 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or consular agency for assistance . Note that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crime.

See our webpage on  help for U.S. victims of crime overseas .

  • Help you find appropriate medical care  
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police 
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent 
  • Provide general information regarding the victim’s role during the local investigation and following its conclusion 
  • Provide a list of local attorneys  
  • Provide information on  victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution 
  • Help you find accommodation and arrange flights home 
  • Replace a stolen or lost passport 

Demonstrations  occur frequently. They may take place in response to political or economic issues, on politically significant holidays, and during international events. 

  • Demonstrations can be unpredictable, avoid areas around protests  and demonstrations .  
  • Past demonstrations have turned violent.   
  • Check local media for updates and traffic advisories. 

International Financial Scams:  See the  Department of State  and the  FBI  pages for information.

Financial scams are prevalent in Spain. Beware of anyone asking for money, particularly people who establish a “romantic” relationship online or anyone who claims the Spanish authorities are asking them for money. Scams are often initiated through Internet postings/profiles or by unsolicited emails and letters. Scammers almost always pose as U.S. citizens who have no one else to turn to for help. Common scams include:   

  • People claiming to be U.S. military personnel
  • Romance/Online dating 
  • Money transfers 
  • Grandparent/Relative targeting 
  • Free Trip/Luggage 
  • Lotteries 
  • Inheritance notices 
  • Work permits/Job offers 

Tourism: The tourism industry is generally regulated, and rules [with regards to best practices and safety inspections] are regularly enforced. Hazardous areas/activities are identified with appropriate signage, and professional staff is typically on hand in support of organized activities. In the event of an injury, appropriate medical treatment is widely available throughout the country. Outside of a major metropolitan center, it may take more time for first responders and medical professionals to stabilize a patient and provide life-saving assistance. U.S. citizens are encouraged to purchase medical evacuation insurance . 

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Individuals establishing a business or practicing a profession that requires additional permits or licensing should seek information from the competent local authorities prior to practicing or operating a business. 

Furthermore, some violations of laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on  crimes against minors abroad  and the  Department of Justice  website.

Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking illegal drugs in Spain are severe and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines.

Most cities in Spain have banned the consumption of alcohol in the street, other than in registered street cafes and bars. You could be arrested or fined if you break the law.

Local police, sometimes dressed in plain clothes, can require you to produce identification to establish your identity upon request and detain you for further questioning. Carry a photocopy of your passport with you as proof of your identity. If you are stopped by someone who claims to be a plainclothes police officer, ask to see their law enforcement identification.

Arrest Notification:  If you are arrested or detained, ask police to notify the U.S. Embassy Madrid or U.S. Consulate General Barcelona immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Counterfeit and Pirated Goods: Although counterfeit and pirated goods are prevalent in many countries, they may still be illegal according to local laws. You may also have to pay fines or have to give them up if you bring them back to the United States. See the U.S. Department of Justice website for more information. 

Faith-Based Travelers:  See the following webpages for details:

  • Faith-Based Travel Information
  • International Religious Freedom Report – see country reports
  • Human Rights Report – see country reports
  • Hajj Fact Sheet for Travelers
  • Best Practices for Volunteering Abroad

LGBTQI+ Travelers:  There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTQI+ events in Spain. 

See our LGBTQI+ Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.  

Travelers with Disabilities: The law in Spain prohibits discrimination against persons with physical, sensory, intellectual or mental disabilities, and the law is enforced. Social acceptance of persons with disabilities in public is as prevalent as in the United States. In general, public transportation, lodging, communication/information, and general infrastructure are accessible. Taxis that can accommodate wheelchairs are available, but usually must be booked in advance.

In historic areas and older areas, sidewalks can be narrow and have uneven surfaces. Take this into account when planning your visit.  There may be differences in small towns and villages, where accessibility may be more limited.

Rental, repair, replacement parts for aids/equipment/devices, or service providers, such as sign language interpreters or personal assistants are widely available in Spain.

Students:  Follow the tips below and exercise caution and good judgment to make your study-abroad experience a positive and safe one. If you are coming to Spain to participate in a sports program, please check with the  Embassy of Spain  that you have the correct visa.

Do your research before contracting a tour operator or other service provider, including coaches and organizers of sports camps, schools, and training centers.

Exercise caution when agreeing to an internship or to serve as a recruiter for a specific organization or company. Most arrests, accidents, and violent crimes U.S. citizens suffer in Spain involve excessive alcohol. Drink in moderation and stay in a group of friends when in clubs, bars, or traveling.

See our  Students Abroad  page and  FBI travel tips .

Women Travelers : The U.S. Mission in Spain has received numerous reports of sexual assaults affecting U.S. citizens, especially younger travelers, students, and exchange teachers. Please see more information under Safety and Security.  See our travel tips for  Women Travelers .

Good medical care is available in Spain. However, regulations regarding medications vary from those in the United States. Spanish regulations do not permit the international shipment of medication . Do not ship medication from the United States to Spain . Spanish customs authorities will reject and return to the shipper medication mailed from the United States. This may cause a significant delay in receiving your medications. The U.S. Embassy cannot help you retrieve medications stopped by Spanish customs.

Medications requiring prescriptions in the United States also require a local doctor’s prescription in Spain. In some instances, a medicine prescribed in the United States will not have a local equivalent. It is important that travelers research this on the  European Agency for Medication  website prior to travel.

For emergency services in Spain, dial 112. You may ask for an English-speaking attendant.

Ambulance services are widely available. 

We do not pay medical bills . Be aware that U.S. Medicare/Medicaid does not apply overseas. Most hospitals and doctors overseas do not accept U.S. health insurance. Medical care is not free in Spain. If you require medical attention, you will incur expenses, even if you are treated in a public healthcare facility. Lack of payment may bar future travel to Spain.

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See  our webpage  for more information on insurance overseas. Visit the  U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  for more information on type of insurance you should consider before you travel overseas. We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation. 

Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. Check with the embassy to ensure the medication is legal in Spain. 

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all  vaccinations  recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

  • World Health Organization
  • U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  (CDC)  

Air Quality:  Visit  AirNow Department of State  for information on air quality at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

The U.S. Embassy maintains  a list of doctors and hospitals . We do not endorse or recommend any specific medical provider or clinic. 

Health facilities in general:

  • Adequate health facilities are available throughout the country. Private hospitals usually require advance payment or proof of adequate insurance or funds before admitting a patient.  Medical staff may speak little or no English. Patients may be asked to bear costs for transfer to or between hospitals. 
  • Patients have to pay their medical treatment in public hospitals.

Medical Tourism and Elective Surgery:

  • U.S. citizens have suffered serious complications or died during or after having cosmetic or other elective surgery.
  • Medical tourism is a rapidly growing industry. People seeking health care overseas should understand that medical systems operate differently from those in the United States and are not subject to the same rules and regulations. Anyone interested in traveling for medical purposes should consult with their local physician before traveling and visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information on Medical Tourism.

Pharmaceuticals: U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the Food and Drug Administration are responsible for rules governing the transport of medication back to the United States. Medication purchased abroad must meet their requirements to be legally brought back into the United States. Medication should be for personal use and must be approved for usage in the United States. Please visit the  U.S. Customs and Border Protection  and the  Food and Drug Administration  websites for more information.

Assisted Reproductive Technology and Surrogacy: If you are considering traveling to Spain to have a child through use of assisted reproductive technology (ART) or surrogacy, please see our  ART and Surrogacy Abroad page . 

Surrogacy is illegal in Spain and subject to complex local regulation. 

Adventure Travel: Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information about  Adventure Travel .

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety : Road conditions in Spain can differ significantly from those in the United States. Drivers and pedestrians should exercise increased caution as traffic in Madrid and Barcelona is often faster-paced than in the United States and can be unnerving because of unfamiliar signs and traffic lights and different driving habits, including motorbikes weaving between traffic lanes.

Obey the traffic light located at your stop line, as there are separate traffic lights for each side of the intersection. Be alert when driving at night in urban areas; you may encounter drivers or pedestrians under the influence of alcohol.

Night driving in isolated rural areas can be dangerous because of farm animals and poorly marked roads.

Rural traffic is generally heavier in July and August as well as during the Christmas and Easter seasons.

Emergency services, including roadside assistance, are plentiful, competent, and can be easily accessed by dialing 112 from any phone.

Traffic Laws: You must obtain an International Driving Permit prior to your arrival if you plan to drive in Spain. The permits are only valid for one year.

It is illegal to rent a vehicle if you don’t have an International Driving Permit. Your rental car may be impounded, and you will be required to pay a fine if stopped by the police.

It is against the law to use a mobile phone without a hands-free device while driving. There is a €300 fine for violating this regulation, and you may also lose your license.

All drivers and passengers are required to buckle up (even in taxis and in the backseat) and wear a reflective vest if they need to stop on the roadside. A reflective triangle warning sign is also mandatory if you stop on the roadside.

You must have liability insurance to operate any car or motorcycle.

If you are stopped by the Spanish National Police or the Guardia Civil, they may levy fines on the spot and issue a receipt for payment. This ensures that foreigners pay their fines while still in Spain.

Public Transportation:  Public transportation in large Spanish cities is generally excellent.

Only use clearly identified cabs, ensure that taxi drivers always switch on the meter (except for fixed-fare trips originating to and from the Madrid airport), and ask for a receipt.

Private transportation companies (such as Uberor Cabify) are often used in Madrid and Barcelona but check private transportation websites for operating status before arrival.

Official taxis to and from the Madrid airport to the city center charge a €30 flat rate.  Official taxis to and from the Barcelona airport to the cruise ship terminal charge a €39 flat rate.

Rail service is comfortable and reliable but varies in quality and speed. Intercity buses are usually comfortable and inexpensive.

See our  Road Safety page  for more information. 

Aviation Safety Oversight:  The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Spain’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Spain’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the  FAA’s safety assessment page . 

Maritime Travel:  Mariners planning travel to Spain should also check for  U.S. maritime advisories and alerts . Information may also be posted to the   U.S. Coast Guard homeport website  and the  NGA broadcast warnings .

For additional travel information

  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)  to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • See the  State Department’s travel website  for the  Worldwide Caution  and  Travel Advisories .
  • Follow us on  Twitter  and  Facebook .
  • See  traveling safely abroad  for useful travel tips.

Review information about International Parental Child Abduction in Spain . For additional IPCA-related information, please see the International Child Abduction Prevention and Return Act ( ICAPRA ) report.

Travel Advisory Levels

Assistance for u.s. citizens, learn about your destination, enroll in step.

Enroll in STEP

Subscribe to get up-to-date safety and security information and help us reach you in an emergency abroad.

Recommended Web Browsers: Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

Make two copies of all of your travel documents in case of emergency, and leave one with a trusted friend or relative.


Antigua and Barbuda

Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba

Bosnia and Herzegovina

British Virgin Islands

Burkina Faso

Burma (Myanmar)

Cayman Islands

Central African Republic

Cote d Ivoire


Czech Republic

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Equatorial Guinea

Eswatini (Swaziland)

Falkland Islands

France (includes Monaco)

French Guiana

French Polynesia

French West Indies

Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin, and Saint Barthélemy (French West Indies)


Isle of Man

Israel, The West Bank and Gaza


Marshall Islands


New Caledonia

New Zealand

North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)

Papua New Guinea


Republic of North Macedonia

Republic of the Congo

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Sao Tome and Principe

Saudi Arabia

Sierra Leone

Sint Maarten

Solomon Islands

South Africa

South Korea

South Sudan


The Bahamas


Trinidad and Tobago


Turks and Caicos Islands

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

Vatican City (Holy See)

External Link

You are about to leave for an external website that is not maintained by the U.S. Department of State.

Links to external websites are provided as a convenience and should not be construed as an endorsement by the U.S. Department of State of the views or products contained therein. If you wish to remain on, click the "cancel" message.

You are about to visit:

We’re sorry, this site is currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again in a few moments. Exception: request blocked

  • Inspiration
  • Destinations
  • Places To Stay
  • Style & Culture
  • Food & Drink
  • Wellness & Spas
  • News & Advice
  • Partnerships
  • Traveller's Directory
  • Travel Tips
  • Competitions

All products are independently selected by our editors. If you buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The new Spain travel rules explained

By Abigail Malbon

Purobeach Mallorca

Travel in 2022 is easier than it has been in a while as Covid restrictions ease, but what does this mean for holidays to Spain , and are British travellers allowed to enter? Here’s what you need to know about the entry rules and Covid tests required if you're planning a trip to Spain now. 

Can I go to Spain on holiday?

Yes. Travel rules have been significantly lifted in 2022, making holidays far simpler than during the previous two years.

For your return to the UK afterwards, there is no need to take a test. Since 18 March 2022, all people travelling from Spain to the UK do not need to take any tests or quarantine when returning to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland as the UK has now dropped all Covid travel rules. 

What are the Spain travel restrictions for Covid?

As of 21 October 2022, the last remaining travel restrictions were lifted on entry to Spain. All of the rules that previously applied are no longer enforced, including the requirement to present proof of vaccination, the requirement to fill out travel forms ahead of arriving in the country, proof of having recovered from Covid in the last 6 months, or proof of a negative PCR or antigen test upon arrival.

Since 20 April 2022, face masks are no longer a requirement inside in Spain, apart from on public transport and in hospitals and retirement homes. The Spanish government has stated that, if cases continue to rise during the summer months, masks may be reintroduced in more areas of daily life.

Can you travel to Spain unvaccinated?

Yes, entry requirements for Spain are the same for all travellers of any age, regardless of Covid vaccination status.

What are the entry requirements for the Canary Islands?

All entry requirements to the Canary Islands are the same as on mainland Spain, outlined above. On Thursday 24 March 2022, many Covid restrictions were lifted within the Canary Islands, which meant an end to the ‘dancing ban’ that had restricted dancing in bars, clubs and restaurants. 

Is it safe to travel to Spain now?

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office considers Spain safe to visit right now, although notes that it's important to get travel insurance before your trip. It's always best to check local government advice before travelling, as rules can change quickly and without notice. 

The new Spain travel rules explained

Where to stay : Are you looking for time to decompress post-lockdown, or for a busy city break? After perhaps more than a year at home, it can be hard to choose, but Spain has both. Start in Barcelona at the smart Nobu Hotel for the sights and history, before hopping to Mallorca and checking into the El Llorenç Parc de la Mar for rooftop views and gin-clear waters.

What to do : As well as switching to a tapas-only diet, we recommend hiring a car to drive the coastal paths of Mallorca . Make a stop at Es Pontàs, a natural arch in the south-eastern part of the island, in time for sunset.

Guide to Spain’s travel rules: what are the entry requirements for foreign tourists?

Here is an overview of the current restrictions on visitors coming from the european union, the united kingdom and the rest of the world.

Hugo Gutiérrez

The summer season has arrived and Spain is hoping for an influx of foreign visitors to revitalize its struggling tourism and hospitality sectors. While an uptick in domestic travel is helping, businesses know that the numbers will only add up when the international visitors show up.

Turistas británicos llegan al aeropuerto de Palma de Mallorca el pasado 1 de julio

Due to coronavirus measures in place, the options for travel to Spain will depend on the reasons for the trip (whether it’s for an essential purpose or for leisure), on the country of origin (part of the European Union or not) and on the visitor’s vaccination status.

But the differences in international mobility will most particularly depend on the visitor’s place of origin. Travel within the EU will be aided by the Digital Covid Certificate , which has been approved for use from July 1 and which Spain is already issuing.

Provided below are the answers to a few common questions about travel to Spain in the coming months.

Are there any restrictions on travel within the EU?

Movement within the EU is allowed, and the access requirements are the same across the territory. To ensure this, Brussels has developed a system known as the Digital Covid Certificate or Digital Green Pass (or more popularly as the vaccine passport), which lets bearers easily prove that they meet the conditions for entering another member state: either being fully vaccinated (the last dose must have been administered at least 14 days before travel), or having recovered from Covid-19, or being in possession of a negative diagnostic test (either PCR or antigen) taken 48 hours before arrival. This certificate is issued by national authorities in the national language and in English, and can be used in all member states.

Depending on the epidemiological situation, travelers from some parts of Europe will not be required to show evidence of vaccination, testing or recovery. These are the areas marked green in the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control’s traffic light system.

Are there non-EU countries whose residents may travel restriction-free?

There is a list of countries and special regions whose residents are not affected by the temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU due to their good control of the pandemic. They are Albania, Australia, South Korea, United States, Israel, Japan, Lebanon, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, China and the special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macao (subject to the principle of reciprocity). Visitors from these parts of the world will not be asked for proof of testing, vaccination or recovery. The United Kingdom was on this list as well, but this is changing on Friday due to a spike in infections in recent weeks.

What are the requirements for UK residents?

Starting on Friday, Spain will demand a negative diagnostic test (” NAAT type, e.g TMA, PCR, LAMP & NEAR ,” not antigen tests ) or proof of full vaccination from UK travelers, due to concerns over the delta variant of the coronavirus . These test results must have been issued within 48 hours of arrival into Spain. (Full information is available here at the website.)

Is leisure travel to Spain from other non-EU countries allowed?

Visitors from other non-EU countries coming to Spain for leisure purposes must show proof of vaccination with one of the vaccines authorized by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization (WHO), with the second dose administered at least 14 days before travel. Non-vaccinated travelers will not be allowed into Spain for tourism, even if they have a negative diagnostic test or have recovered from Covid-19, or if they received a vaccine that has not been approved by the EMA or WHO.

What about children who are not being vaccinated yet?

Children under 12 traveling with an adult who has been immunized with an EMA or WHO-approved vaccine may freely enter Spain.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. The Spanish government may leave out countries where new coronavirus variants pose a health risk. This is already happening with India, whose residents may not come to Spain on tourism even if they have been fully vaccinated. In practice, leisure trips from Brazil and South Africa are also off-limits since only flights carrying Spanish or Andorran nationals (or passengers in transit) are allowed into the country.

Are any additional documents necessary?

Yes. Regardless of the country of origin, travelers coming in by air or sea, including those in transit and children under 12, must fill out a health form available on or via the mobile app Spain Travel Health. This will generate a QR code that must be shown before departure and at arrival.

English version by Susana Urra .

More information

Encuesta covid Instituto de Salud Carlos III

Despite eased rules, outdoor masking endures in Spain

Pedro Sanchez

Spain will require travelers from UK to show diagnostic test or be fully vaccinated

  • Francés online
  • Inglés online
  • Italiano online
  • Alemán online
  • Crucigramas & Juegos

Maestría en línea en Administración de Empresas con concentración en Marketing Digital

citizens advice spain

  • Please visit our social media pages

cab spain on facebook

  • Make a Donation
  • Ask For Advice
  • Search CAB Spain

Travelling to Spain? Map to Chart Entry Requirements

Benefit from a lawyer smart card.

Update: Important information

To travel to Spain if you have an EU DCC, or equivalent EU it is not necessary to complete the SpTH health control form.

On the homepage you can find more information about the vaccination, recovery or diagnostic test DCCs that are valid for travelling to Spain.

Spain Travel Health

Information is added for you almost on a daily basis. We are a charity with no external funding. Any amount you are willing to donate will be greatly appreciated.

Donation Decider

  • I want to give a free gift to Citizens Advice Spain organisation
  • Purchase a Spain info Card CAB corporate partner for a One to One

Benefits of being a star member?

  • Bank Transfer
  • Credit Card

Donating with Bank Transfer

Please find below our bank details where donations are gratefully received.

Donating with Paypal

Donating with credit card.

Are you travelling to Spain? Update on Covid entry requirements for residents of Spain from February 1, 2022 who are not vaccinated nor can provide a Covid Certificate can now enter with an antigen or NAAT test:

Diagnostic Certificate. Diagnostic test certificates for active COVID-19 infection with a negative result belonging to any of the following types will be accepted as valid: 1. Molecular nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), whose sample has been obtained within 72 hours prior to arrival in Spain. 2. Antigen detection test included in the common list of rapid antigen detection tests for COVID-19, published by the European Commission based on Council Recommendation 2021/C 24/01, whose sample has been obtained within the 24 hours prior to arrival in Spain.

The diagnostic test certificate must include, at least, the following information: 1. Name and surname of the holder. 2. Date of sample collection. 3. Type of test performed. 4. Issuing country.»

Second. Effectiveness. This resolution will take effect from February 1, 2022. High risk countries from February 1, 2022 (includes visitors from the U.K)as published in December:

Applies to:

Entry requirements may vary if your reason for travel to Spain falls into one of the categories listed as ‘essential’ – section ‘a’ to ‘i’ – on the Spanish Ministry of Health Travel and COVID-19 page. This includes residents of Spain. If you are an EU citizen, an accompanying family member of an EU citizen, including UK citizens and other non-EU citizens who are travelling with EU family members (including for tourism), a resident of Spain, or if one of the other exemptions listed applies to you, you will be required to present one of the following on entry:

documentation certifying that you have undertaken a COVID-19 nucleic acid amplification (NAAT) test (e.g. PCR, TMA, LAMP or NEAR) within 72 hours prior to arrival in Spain, or an antigen test taken within 24 hours of arrival, and tested negative a medical certificate certifying that you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months prior to travel

Vaccination certificate.

Vaccination certificates issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin from 14 days after the date of administration of the last dose of the complete vaccine schedule (primary vaccination) will be accepted as valid, provided that no more than 270 days from the date of administration of the last dose of said regimen. From that moment on, the vaccination certificate issued by the competent authority of the country of origin must reflect the administration of a booster dose.

Complete vaccination guidelines (primary vaccination) are defined as those established in the Vaccination Strategy against COVID-19 in Spain.

The vaccination certificate must include, at least, the following information:

1. Name and surname of the holder.

2. Date of vaccination, indicating the date of the last dose administered.

3. Type or types of vaccine administered.

4. Number of doses administered/complete regimen.

5. Issuing country.

6. Identification of the issuing body of the vaccination certificate.»

Second. Effectiveness.

This resolution will be effective as of December 30, 2021, except as regards the modification of section Six, which will be applicable as of February 1, 2022.

Does not apply to:

Important update to come into effect from December 1.  Does not apply to legal residents of Spain.

spain travel regulations

Information from the UK government.

Rules effective from 1 december 2021. please note the relevant passage about vaccinations. first paragraph under heading “rules effective from 1 december 2021 relevant..


Latest information from the French Government
List of pressing grounds from “Orange” countries

Click on the map to check the applicable entry requirements for the country you are travelling from and the restrictions for your return home.

You can also find out what measures are in place for each region you are visiting during your stay in Spain.

For travel from Spain to other countries not on the list, click on Latest News before posting questions.

Use this interactive map if your country is on the list.

Travelling within Spain and the Islands.

Regions and islands Map

Unfortunately the link cannot be picked up so go to for example United Kingdom. Click on:

spain travel regulations

Ten click on:

spain travel regulations

Further Information on the Spain Health Travel Site Update on certificates and tests in force from July 14.

First. Modification of the validity of the diagnostic certificate.

The Seventh section of the Resolution of June 4, 2021 is modified, which is worded as follows:

“Seventh. Diagnostic Certificate.

Diagnostic test certificates for active COVID-19 infection with a negative result belonging to one of the following types will be accepted as valid:

1. Molecular nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), the sample of which has been obtained within 72 hours prior to arrival in Spain.

2. Antigen detection test included in the common list of rapid antigen detection tests for COVID-19, published by the European Commission based on Council Recommendation 2021 / C 24/01, whose sample has been obtained within the 48 hours prior to arrival in Spain.

The diagnostic test certificate must include, at least, the following information:

1. Name and surname of the owner.

2. Date of sample collection.

3. Type of test performed.

4. Issuing country. »

This resolution will take effect from July 14, 2021.

Travelling overland. Thank you to the UK governor this information:

Testing requirements for overland travellers All overland travellers (excluding children under the age of 6 years old) who wish to enter Spain by road or rail from France, are required to present a negative PCR, TMA or LAMP test taken within 72 hours prior to entry. The following groups are exempt from this requirement:

Residents and antigen tests:

spain travel regulations

Haulage workers Frontier workers Residents of border regions within a radius of 30 km While these testing requirements don’t apply to overland travellers from Portugal, Andorra and Gibraltar, travel into Spain from all locations is limited.

Balearic Islands Canary Islands

, Antigen Tests for residents of Spain

spain travel regulations

How Can Citizens Advice Bureau Spain Benefit You?

Cab spain at a glance.

We update our web site on a regular basis so please keep checking back.

Recent FAQ's

Recent news articles.

  • Subscribe to Newsletter |

Privacy Overview

  • [email protected]
  • +34 662 17 40 67

immigration spain logo

Conditions and Requirements for Entering Spain in 2023

entry requirements to Spain

Spain is one of the world’s top destinations for foreigners from all over the world, both for those doing tourism and those who intend to stay for the long run.

However, the frequent changes in the current pandemic situation daily generate tons of doubts for those travelers, since the regulations for entering the country are constantly being modified and renewed.

Thus, in this article we analyze in detail how to enter Spain in 2023 , what requirements you will have to meet (updated) both if you enter for tourism or to get your residency, and all the health information you should consider to avoid entry problems depending on your country of origin.

How to enter into Spain in 2023

The first thing you must take into account to enter Spain during 2023 is that you will have to comply with 2 different set of requirements .

While until now foreigners had just to consider the requirements imposed at the immigration level (for example the need to get a tourist visa); now the sanitary requirements play an important role too.

Thus, in this article you will find the complete list of requirements that must be met (updated for this new year), both from the legal and the sanitary point of view.

Keep in mind that both groups of conditions are regulated at the European level, since entering the EU through Spain allows you to freely move to another country within the Schengen area , although it is true that there may be health differences (stricter requirements) depending on the specific country .

Therefore, to ensure a successful entry you must make sure to meet each and every one of the requirements that we will see below.

And keep in mind that these will be verified both upon landing and having entered the Spanish territory and even before leaving when you are still in your country of origin . Because many times airlines themselves are the ones who carry out those controls and can prevent you from boarding.

Health requirements to enter Spain

Below we analyze the health requirements that currently exist for foreigners intending to enter Spain.

But be careful.

These are very volatile and can change almost overnight , especially with the constant irruption of new waves.

Hence, we recommend that before purchasing your airline tickets you double-check and verify them on the official Spanish government website.

On the other hand, every month Spain updates the list of countries and territories that have no restrictions to enter Spain . Make sure that yours is on this list to be able to make your trip .

So, what are these sanitary requirements?

  • Temperature control , which will probably be done at the airport of origin to verify that your temperature does not exceed 37.5ºC.
  • Complete vaccination or…
  • In case of coming from a country or area at risk, you must present a PCR test (SARS-CoV-2) with a negative result performed within 72 hours prior to arrival in the country.
  • Fill in the SpTH entry form , in which you must state your personal data, where you will be staying, etc. You can find it her e and once completed you will receive a QR code that the authorities will request upon landing.

Do I currently need a PCR to enter Spain?

Currently yes . Whether you come from an EU country or a third country, you will need a PCR test with a negative result .

This test must be official and original, written in English or Spanish, and must include:

  • The traveler’s full name
  • Date the test was performed
  • Identification details of the center that performed the test
  • Passport or ID card number
  • Negative test result

Entry requirements according to your country of origin

To make things easier and more understandable for foreigners, the Spanish Ministry of Health has launched a map where you can find the health entry requirements that you must meet according to your country of origin .

Simply click on the following link, select on your country of origin, and a window will be displayed including all the relevant information (as well as whether you are prohibited entry for health reasons):

Access this map here

requisitos sanitarios entrada España

Immigration entry requirements

On the other hand, we also find the requirements that you will have to comply with at a legal level during 2023  in order to enter the Spanish territory.

They are the same that we have already seen and explained in detail in this other article , but here is a summary:

  • Demonstrate the possession of sufficient economic means to support yourself throughout your stay. We are talking about 90€ per day and person.
  • Round-trip plane tickets , which must coincide with the days of stay accredited economically in the previous point.
  • Proof of accommodation . This can be demonstrated through an invitation letter if you will be staying with a friend or relative ( find out how to request it here ), or an already paid hotel/tourist apartment reservation.
  • Health insurance for the days you will stay in Spain

And, in addition, you should check whether or not your country requires a Schengen visa to enter as a tourist ( find out here the complete list of countries that must apply for one ).

In case you need to obtain this visa, you will have to do it at the Spanish consulate located in your country of origin where you will have to prove all the requirements seen in this section.

And, in case you do not need it, these requirements will be demonstrated when you land in Spain.

All your doubts to enter Spain solved here

So far all the requirements you must meet during this year 2023 to successfully enter Spain .

Please note that health requirements are subject to change, so this information may become obsolete quickly.

Hence, if you have any doubts or need personalized legal advice, our immigration lawyers are at your complete disposal!

Get in touch with our lawyers and let us guide you step by step:

Use my online scheduling page by vcita to schedule an appointment with me:

entry requirements to Spain

Recent Posts

  • Residency for Humanitarian Reasons in Spain
  • How is Social Security Healthcare for Foreigners in Spain
  • Residency for Spanish Citizens’ Parents Over 65 Years Old
  • Startup Law in Spain: What benefits does my business have if I am a foreigner?
  • Main Advantages of Being a Digital Nomad in Spain

Subscribe so you are up to date with all immigration news in Spain

spain travel regulations

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

¡Suscríbete a nuestra newsletter! | Subscribe to our newsletter!

spain travel regulations

  • Rambla de Catalunya 124, 08008, Barcelona (Spain)

Blog What we do Who we are Immigration FAQ’s Contact us Cookie policy Privacy policy

Cookies on GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.

We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.

We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.

You have accepted additional cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

You have rejected additional cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

spain travel regulations

  • Passports, travel and living abroad
  • Travel abroad
  • Foreign travel advice

Getting help

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) cannot provide tailored advice for individual trips. Read this travel advice and carry out your own research before deciding whether to travel.

Emergency services in Spain

112 (ambulance, fire, police)

Make sure you know the contact details of the local emergency services and the location of the nearest police station.

Reporting crime

To report a crime, including stolen property and lost or stolen passports, visit the nearest National Police (‘Policia Nacional’), regional police (‘Ertzaintza’ in the Basque Country, ‘Mossos d’Esquadra’ in Catalonia, and ‘Policia Foral’ in Navarre) or Civil Guard (‘Guardia Civil’) station to file a police report (‘denuncia’).

Some Spanish cities also offer a Foreign Tourist Assistance Service (‘Servicio de Atención al Turista Extranjero’ or ‘SATE’) run by the Town Hall and National Police where you will be able to report a crime in English.

Violent crime or sexual assault must be reported in person at the nearest police station. If you’ve had belongings stolen, you’ll need to keep the police report for insurance purposes.

While in Spain, you can file a police report online for minor offences such as bag or car theft.

If your passport is lost or stolen, you’ll need to apply for an emergency travel document from the nearest British Consulate and to apply for a replacement passport when you return to the UK.

Contact your travel provider and insurer

Contact your travel provider and your insurer if you are involved in a serious incident or emergency abroad. They will tell you if they can help and what you need to do.

Refunds and changes to travel

For refunds or changes to travel, contact your travel provider. You may also be able to make a claim through insurance. However, insurers usually require you to talk to your travel provider first.

Find out more about changing or cancelling travel plans, including:

where to get advice if you are in a dispute with a provider

how to access previous versions of travel advice to support a claim

Support from FCDO

FCDO has guidance on staying safe and what to do if you need help or support abroad, including:

finding English-speaking lawyers ,  funeral directors and  translators and interpreters  in Spain

dealing with a  death in Spain

being  arrested in Spain

getting help if you’re a victim of crime

what to do if you’re in hospital

if you are affected by a crisis , such as a terrorist attack

Contacting FCDO

Follow and contact FCDO travel on Twitter , Facebook and Instagram . You can also sign up to get email notifications when this travel advice is updated.

Help abroad in an emergency

If you are in Spain and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the British Embassy in Madrid or your nearest consulate .

You can also contact FCDO online .

FCDO in London

You can call FCDO in London if you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad.

Telephone: 020 7008 5000 (24 hours)

Find out about call charges

Living in Spain

If you’re living in or moving to Spain, read the Living in Spain guide in addition to this travel advice.

Risk information for British companies

The  Overseas Business Risk service  offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Related content

Is this page useful.

  • Yes this page is useful
  • No this page is not useful

Help us improve GOV.UK

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.

To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.

Spain Guides

Latest Spain Entry Requirements

Spain entry requirements update.

Great news! Spain has dropped its ongoing COVID-19 travel restrictions from October 2022, especially for those travelling from the UK.

This means that vaccinated and unvaccinated travellers alike can now enjoy all that Spain has to offer without the worry of additional testing or proof of vaccination.

This should bring a sense of freedom and peace of mind to everyone looking to travel to Spain .

Entry Requirements From Non/EU Schengen Countries

You will also be pleased to know if you are travelling to Spain from a non/EU Schengen country all the Covid 19 restrictions have also been lifted.

Travelling to Spain From The UK

The entry rules for UK citizens into Spain are the same as other EU and NON-EU citizens as far as the COVID-19 regulations are concerned, from the 21st of October 2022 you are not required to:

  • Show proof of being fully vaccinated
  • Show proof of a negative COVID-19 test
  • Show proof of having recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months.
  • No need to complete a health control form prior to travel.

Additional Required Documents

On entering Spain as a tourist you may be required to show further documents if requested such as:

  • A valid return or onward ticket.
  • You have enough money for your stay ( currently around 100€ per day per person )
  • A hotel booking confirmation.
  • Proof of address if you have a second home.
  • An invitation of proof of address from a third party, family member or friend.

Are There Any Restrictions For Entering The Canary Islands?

Those travelling to the Canary Islands (which include hotspots Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Tenerife) are subject to the same restrictions as those travelling to mainland Spain.

It is also important to check with your travel provider to ensure you are aware of any additional restrictions that may apply to your travel plans just in case they change at any time due to an increase in infections.

Are The Rules For The Balearic Islands Any Different?

No, there are also no restrictions. The rules for entering the Balearics (Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca and Formentera) are the same as mainland Spain.

Can I Travel To Other EU Countries After Arrival In Spain?

Yes once you have entered Spain you would be able to freely visit other EU member states without any restrictions.

What  Are The Rules And Restrictions Once In Spain

Traveling To Spain

As of June 2023, the wearing of face masks is no longer obligatory.

Only in certain cases would you need to wear a facemask, this could include high-risk areas of a hospital such as where immune-compromised patients are located, ICU, operating rooms and oncology wards.

Procedure If You Test Positive For Covid Once In Spain

Should you feel ill and test positive for Covid 19 during your holiday you should self-isolate and inform your immediate contacts that may have travelled with you.

If you do have to go outside in public it is advisable to wear a mask and avoid crowded spaces.

If the symptoms persist you should contact your local health authority and/or your travel insurance company.

The EU Digital COVID-19 Certificate

EU Difgital Covid Certificate

The EU Digital Covid Certificate is proof that you have been vaccinated against COVID-19 or received a negative test result or have recovered from COVID-19.

If you are travelling to Spain by air or sea from an EU Schengen Area Country ( see list below ) you will also no longer be required to present a COVID-19 Certificate.

These are the current EU-Schengen Countries:

  • Czech Republic
  • Netherlands

Possible Future Members Include:

Obtaining an eu digital covid-19 certificate.

The EU Digital COVID-19 Certificate can be obtained free of charge via the national Ministry of Health website in each country. For UK citizens this would be via the NHS - National Health Service website

To date, 49 EU countries are able to issue COVID-19 certificates.

Key Features Of The COVID-19 Digital Certificate:

The certificate is issued in digital and/or paper format and will contain the following:

  • Your full name and date of birth
  • It will have a QR code
  • It will be in your national language and English
  • Details on the issuing authority
  • All details of the number of tests taken
  • Full details of the type of vaccination

Types Of Vaccination Certificates

Vaccination certificates are issued by the Member State where the vaccination has been administered.

Test certificates  are issued by the Member State where the test has taken place.

Recovery certificates are issued by the Member State where the recovered person is located.

Non-EU Citizens Travelling To Spain

Non-EU travellers who are vaccinated with an EU or WHO-approved vaccine are allowed to travel to and enter the EU.

If you have recovered from COVID-19 within 180 days prior to travelling to the EU you will need to prove your recovery with an EU Digital COVID Certificate or a non-EU certificate equivalent to the EU Digital COVID Certificate.

Non-EU Schengen Countries

  • United Kingdom
  • Croatia - Possible Future Member
  • Cyprus  - Possible Future Member
  • Romania - Possible Future Member
  • Bulgaria  - Possible Future Member
  • All other European countries not in the EU (e.g. Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Turkey)
  • All countries in Africa
  • All countries in Asia
  • All countries in North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
  • All countries in South America
  • New Zealand

New ETIAS Visa Waiver System

ETIAS Visa Waiver

This is separate from any Covid-19 regulations that may be in force at the time you want to travel to Spain.

The ETIAS visa waiver scheme is a new initiative from the European Union to enhance the security of the Schengen Zone and will change your Spain travel requirements.

ETIAS is not a visa, but rather a visa waiver permit or travel authorisation for all current visa-free countries that will come into effect in 2024 ( to be confirmed by the E.U )

There are currently around 50 eligible nationalities that will be able to apply for ETIAS when it comes online, these include the United Kingdom and The United States of America.

It is designed to streamline the process of entering the Schengen Area for citizens of the United Kingdom and from outside the EU.

The ETIAS visa waiver is a short-term travel authorization that allows citizens to travel to and within the Schengen Area without the need for a visa. The authorization is valid for a period of up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

It is important to note that you are still subject to the immigration rules of each individual country you visit. For more information, you can visit the official website of the European Union.

In short then, if you are travelling to Spain from the UK you are no longer required to show proof that you have been vaccinated against COVID-19 on entering the country.

However, it is advisable that you carry with you or have a hard copy on your PC or mobile phone, a copy of your EU Digital Covid-19 Certificate just in case the situation changes whilst you are travelling.

Useful Resources:

Travelling to Spain from the UK Travelling to Spain - The Ultimate Holiday Planner UK Gov Latest Entry Requirements The European Commission Spanish Government Latest Entry Conditions US State Department

What can you bring into Spain from outside the EU and the limitations.

There are certain restrictions on products entering or leaving Spain from countries outside the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein. These restrictions apply to cultural goods, wildlife, plants and their derivatives, vegetable and plant products, weapons and ammunition, medicines, tobacco, and alcoholic beverages.

Regarding tobacco and alcoholic beverages, if you carry the following quantities or more, they must be declared, and the corresponding taxes must be paid: 200 cigarettes, 100 cigarillos, 50 cigars, 250 grams of tobacco, 1 litre of alcoholic beverages with a strength above 22%, 2 litres of alcoholic beverages with a strength below 22%, 4 litres of wine, and 16 litres of beer.

When it comes to medications, only those necessary for personal use are permitted, and they should be accompanied by a copy of the prescription or medical report. It's important to adhere to these regulations to ensure a smooth entry or exit process when travelling to or from Spain.

Cash, Negotiable Bonds and Securities

If you are carrying money, negotiable bonds, or securities exceeding the value of €10,000 (or the equivalent in a foreign currency) per person, it is necessary to declare them at customs.

Disclosure: Please note that some of the links included in the above content may be affiliate links. We may earn a commission if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you. Rest assured, we only recommend products and services that we personally use or have used and are happy to recommend. Any commission we earn helps toward the site's running costs. 

Spainguides Newsletter

Travel Smarter -  Not Harder

Download free e-guides and travel tips.

Start your Journey today and get access to exclusive FREE content.

Username or Email Address

Remember Me

  • Complete List:

spain travel regulations

Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

  • Communication

spain travel regulations

Covid19 - Entry requirements in Spain

Beginning on October 21, 2022,  the following travelers can enter Spain without showing any sort of covid-19 document/certificate:

  • Spaniards and EU citizens.
  • Duly registered family members of Spanish and EU citizens.
  • Foreigners residing in the European Union or associated Schengen countries (it is necessary to have a valid residence card).
  • Foreigners who have a valid long-term visa (no type C visas).
  • Foreign students who have the required visa and insurance.
  • Foreigners who are highly qualified workers, business people, elite sportspeople, health professionals and health researchers, transport personnel, seafarers and aeronautical personnel and diplomatic, consular representatives, personnel of international organization, military personnel and members of civil protection organizations traveling to Spain for professional matters.
  • Foreigners traveling for urgent humanitarian or family reasons, to be justified case by case.

These travelers can enter Spain normally, as it was before the pandemic started.

The rest of the travelers to Spain, even if the covid-19 border checkpoints have been dismantled, they must have one of the three following certificates: ​

  • Proof of vaccination: Documentation from the issuing countries' relevant authorities will be accepted starting 14 days after the final dose is administered, as long as more than 270 days have not passed since the administration of the final dose of the vaccine. For those under 18 years of age, proof of vaccination has no expiration date.
  • Negative COVID test: A negative Nucleic Acid Amplification test (PCR, TMA, LAMP, NEAR, etc.) taken within 72 hours of departure for Spain, or a negative rapid antigen test (RAT) taken within 24 of departure for Spain, will be accepted.
  • Proof of recovery from COVID: Documentation issued by relevant government authorities or by a physician a minimum of 11 days after the initial positive result via NAAT or rapid antigen test. This documentation will remain valid for 180 days following the date of the initial positive test result.

Those under the age of 12 do not need to present any COVID-related documentation to enter Spain.

​Spain Travel Health –SpTH– and the associated form are no longer needed.

  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to "About this site"

Language selection


Help us to improve our website. Take our survey !

COVID-19: travel health notice for all travellers

Spain travel advice

Latest updates: The Need help? section was updated.

Last updated: April 11, 2024 07:18 ET

On this page

Safety and security, entry and exit requirements, laws and culture, natural disasters and climate, spain - exercise a high degree of caution.

Exercise a high degree of caution in Spain due to the threat of terrorism

Back to top

Petty crime

Petty crime, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, is common. It’s most prevalent in larger cities and particularly during holidays, festivals and weekends.

Thieves work alone or in groups and may use various techniques to distract you and steal your belongings, such as asking for directions or informing you of a stain on your clothes.

Individuals posing as plainclothes police officers may ask to see your passport, IDs or wallets. In this situation, politely ask to see their official identification badge to verify that the request is legitimate.

Thieves are especially active in crowded areas, such as:

  • airports and public transportation facilities
  • hotel lobbies
  • restaurants, patios and outdoor cafés
  • tourist attractions

In Madrid, thieves are particularly active in the following areas:

  • Atocha train station
  • Gran Vía
  • Plaza Cibeles and Paseo del Prado
  • Puerta del Sol area, Plaza Mayor and surrounding streets
  • Retiro park
  • the subway system

There has been a significant increase in stolen passports in the Barcelona region during the last few years.

In Barcelona, thieves are particularly active in the following areas:

  • Barceloneta beach
  • El-Prat airport and on the airport shuttle bus (the Aerobus)
  • Güell park
  • Las Ramblas, including in Internet cafés
  • Passeig de Gràcia
  • Plaça de Catalunya
  • Plaça Reial and surrounding streets of the old city (Ciutat Vella
  • Sagrada Família Basilica
  • Sants train and bus station

Useful links

  • Security advice while in Catalonia - Mossos d’Esquadra
  • Tips to stay safe - Municipality of Barcelona

While in Spain:

  • ensure that your belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times
  • carry a photocopy or digital copy of your passport identification page, driver’s licence, train or airline tickets and credit cards
  • at the beach, bring only the essentials
  • expect travel delays and additional expenses if your passport is stolen
  • don’t leave luggage unattended at airport check-in or ticket counters, car rental desks or hotel lobbies
  • avoid frequenting unlit areas

Violent crime

Violent crime is rare but does occur. Home burglaries happen in larger cities and coastal areas and sometimes affect homes or vacation rental apartments offered through online accommodation apps.

On the road

Thieves have been known to simulate or provoke road-related incidents, such as flat tires. When a motorist stops to help, the thieves steal the motorist’s car or belongings. The reverse scenario has also occurred, whereby a thief offers to help a motorist in distress and steals the motorist’s car or belongings.

In the event of a road-related incident, be extremely cautious about accepting help from anyone other than a uniformed officer from the National Police Corps or Civil Guard.

There is also a high threat of theft from rental and parked vehicles.

  • Be particularly vigilant in service areas on coastal highways
  • Use secure parking facilities
  • Avoid leaving any luggage or valuables in the vehicle
  • Always lock your doors and keep windows closed

Foreign Tourist Assistance Service

Several municipalities have dedicated police units for foreign tourists (SATE) and offer services in English and other languages.

You can also call the tourist hotline to file a police report with the assistance of a translator.

  • Safety tips for tourists - Policía Nacional
  • Foreign Tourist Assistance Service (SATE) in Madrid - Tourism Madrid
  • Tourist Assistance Service in Barcelona (Ciutat Vella District) - Guàrdia Urbana de Barcelona
  • Foreign Tourist Assistance Service (SATE) in Málaga - Tourism Málaga
  • Hotline service to file a police report with a translator - Policía Nacional

There is a threat of terrorism in Europe. Terrorists have carried out attacks in several European cities.

In Spain, attacks causing deaths and injuries have taken place. Further attacks in Spain cannot be ruled out. Further attacks elsewhere in Europe are likely.

Targets could include:

  • government buildings, including schools
  • places of worship
  • airports and other transportation hubs and networks
  • public areas such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels and other sites frequented by foreigners

 Always be aware of your surroundings when in public places. Be particularly vigilant if attending sporting events and during religious holidays and other public celebrations, as terrorists have used such occasions to mount attacks.

The Spanish government maintains a public alert system on terrorism and communicates threat level changes online and through local media. The current threat level for Spain is level 4 (“high”) on a scale of 5.

Terrorism threat level  - Spanish Ministry of the Interior (in Spanish)

Internet scams

Unsolicited emails offering enticing business or financial opportunities are most likely fraudulent.

These emails may involve the following scenarios:

  • prizes won in the Spanish lottery (el Gordo)
  • inheritance
  • a friend or family member who appears to be in distress abroad

Never send funds to an unknown individual. Don’t travel to Spain to obtain restitution after losing money to a scam.

Romance scams

If you’re travelling to Spain to meet someone you’ve otherwise only met online, you may be the victim of a scam. Be wary of attempts at fraud by persons who profess friendship or romantic interest over the internet.

Investment scams

If you plan to buy a property or make other investments in Spain, seek legal advice in Canada and Spain. Do so before making commitments. Related disputes could take time and be costly to resolve.

Credit card and ATM fraud

Credit card and ATM fraud occurs.

When using debit or credit cards:

  • pay careful attention if other people are handling your cards
  • use ATMs located in public areas or inside a bank or business
  • avoid using card readers with an irregular or unusual feature
  • cover the keypad with one hand when entering your PIN
  • check for any unauthorized transaction on your account statements

Overseas fraud

Spiked food and drinks

Never leave food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers. Be wary of accepting snacks, beverages, gum or cigarettes from new acquaintances, as the items may contain drugs that could put you at risk of sexual assault and robbery.

Demonstrations and strikes

Demonstrations and strikes occur regularly. They also take place sporadically in Catalonia, including in Barcelona, in response to political events. Violent clashes between demonstrators and police have taken place.

Even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent at any time. They can also lead to traffic and public transportation disruptions, including access to roads, airports, and the railway and metro systems. Flight delays or cancellations, as well as disruptions at ports, are also possible.

  • Avoid areas where demonstrations and large gatherings are taking place
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities
  • Monitor local media for information on ongoing demonstrations
  • Be prepared to change your travel plans on short notice

Mass gatherings (large-scale events)

Swimming and water activities

Coastal waters can be dangerous. Always obey warning flags at beaches, lakes and rivers.

The main warning flags used in Spain are:

  • Green: calm waters, swimming is allowed
  • Yellow: agitated waters, swimming with precautions is recommended
  • Red: dangerous waters, swimming or entering the water is forbidden
  • Black: contaminated waters, avoid swimming

In marine areas, coral, jellyfish and other ocean life found along reefs can poison, sting or cause infection if touched or stepped on.

  • Ask local authorities about the presence of such species and whether they are dangerous
  • Immediately seek medical assistance if you get hurt

In the fall and winter months, be cautious when walking along beaches close to the water’s edge as waves can be unpredictable in size and may come onto shore further than expected.

  • Don’t visit beaches or coastal areas during periods of severe weather warnings
  • Look out for signs warning of cliff erosion and falling rocks
  • Don’t dive into unknown waters, as hidden rocks or shallow depths can cause serious injury or death
  • Exercise caution and follow the advice of the local authorities

Water safety abroad

Mountain activities

If you intend to do mountaineering or skiing:

  • never do so alone and always hire an experienced guide from a reputable company
  • buy travel insurance that includes helicopter rescue and medical evacuation
  • ensure that your physical condition is good enough to meet the challenges of your activity
  • ensure that you’re adequately equipped and well informed about weather and other conditions that may pose a hazard
  • inform a family member or friend of your itinerary, including when you expect to be back
  • know the symptoms of acute altitude sickness, which can be fatal
  • obtain detailed information on trekking routes or ski slopes before setting out and do not venture off marked trails or slopes

Road safety

Road conditions and road safety can vary throughout the country. Some drivers are aggressive and drive at excessive speeds.

Travellers may experience delays crossing between Spain and Gibraltar due to increased border controls.

  • Be sure you are prepared for lengthy delays
  • Plan for an adequate supply of fuel, food, and water

We do not make assessments on the compliance of foreign domestic airlines with international safety standards.

Information about foreign domestic airlines

Every country or territory decides who can enter or exit through its borders. The Government of Canada cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet your destination’s entry or exit requirements.

We have obtained the information on this page from the Spanish authorities. It can, however, change at any time.

Verify this information with the  Foreign Representatives in Canada .

  • Schengen area

Spain is a Schengen area country. Canadian citizens do not need a visa for travel to countries within the Schengen area. However, visa-free travel only applies to stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Stays are cumulative and include visits to any Schengen area country.

If you plan to stay in the Schengen area for a longer period of time, you will need a visa. You must contact the high commission or embassy of the country or countries you are travelling to and obtain the appropriate visa(s) prior to travel.

  • Foreign Representatives in Canada

Entry requirements vary depending on the type of passport you use for travel.

Before you travel, check with your transportation company about passport requirements. Its rules on passport validity may be more stringent than the country’s entry rules.

Regular Canadian passport

Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you expect to leave the Schengen area.

Passport for official travel

Different entry rules may apply.

Official travel

Passport with “X” gender identifier

While the Government of Canada issues passports with an “X” gender identifier, it cannot guarantee your entry or transit through other countries. You might face entry restrictions in countries that do not recognize the “X” gender identifier. Before you leave, check with the closest foreign representative for your destination.

Other travel documents

Different entry rules may apply when travelling with a temporary passport or an emergency travel document. Before you leave, check with the closest foreign representative for your destination.

  • Foreign Representatives in Canada
  • Canadian passports

Tourist visa: not required for stays up to 90 days in any 180-day period Business visa: not required Student visa: required

Other entry requirements

Customs officials may ask you to show them a return or onward ticket and proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay.

Children and travel

Learn more about travelling with children .

Yellow fever

Learn about potential entry requirements related to yellow fever (vaccines section).

Relevant Travel Health Notices

  • Global Measles Notice - 13 March, 2024
  • COVID-19 and International Travel - 13 March, 2024

This section contains information on possible health risks and restrictions regularly found or ongoing in the destination. Follow this advice to lower your risk of becoming ill while travelling. Not all risks are listed below.

Consult a health care professional or visit a travel health clinic preferably 6 weeks before you travel to get personalized health advice and recommendations.

Routine vaccines

Be sure that your  routine vaccinations , as per your province or territory , are up-to-date before travelling, regardless of your destination.

Some of these vaccinations include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, varicella (chickenpox), influenza and others.

Pre-travel vaccines and medications

You may be at risk for preventable diseases while travelling in this destination. Talk to a travel health professional about which medications or vaccines may be right for you, based on your destination and itinerary. 

Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus from the bite of an infected mosquito.

Travellers get vaccinated either because it is required to enter a country or because it is recommended for their protection.

  • There is no risk of yellow fever in this country.

Country Entry Requirement*

  • Proof of vaccination is not required to enter this country.


  • Vaccination is not recommended.

* It is important to note that country entry requirements may not reflect your risk of yellow fever at your destination. It is recommended that you contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) you will be visiting to verify any additional entry requirements.

About Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres in Canada

Measles is a highly contagious viral disease. It can spread quickly from person to person by direct contact and through droplets in the air.

Anyone who is not protected against measles is at risk of being infected with it when travelling internationally.

Regardless of where you are going, talk to a health care professional before travelling to make sure you are fully protected against measles.

  Hepatitis B is a risk in every destination. It is a viral liver disease that is easily transmitted from one person to another through exposure to blood and body fluids containing the hepatitis B virus.  Travellers who may be exposed to blood or other bodily fluids (e.g., through sexual contact, medical treatment, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) are at higher risk of getting hepatitis B.

Hepatitis B vaccination is recommended for all travellers. Prevent hepatitis B infection by practicing safe sex, only using new and sterile drug equipment, and only getting tattoos and piercings in settings that follow public health regulations and standards.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious viral disease. It can spread from person to person by direct contact and through droplets in the air.

It is recommended that all eligible travellers complete a COVID-19 vaccine series along with any additional recommended doses in Canada before travelling. Evidence shows that vaccines are very effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalization and death from COVID-19. While vaccination provides better protection against serious illness, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19. Anyone who has not completed a vaccine series is at increased risk of being infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 and is at greater risk for severe disease when travelling internationally.

Before travelling, verify your destination’s COVID-19 vaccination entry/exit requirements. Regardless of where you are going, talk to a health care professional before travelling to make sure you are adequately protected against COVID-19.

 The best way to protect yourself from seasonal influenza (flu) is to get vaccinated every year. Get the flu shot at least 2 weeks before travelling.  

 The flu occurs worldwide. 

  •  In the Northern Hemisphere, the flu season usually runs from November to   April.
  •  In the Southern Hemisphere, the flu season usually runs between April and   October.
  •  In the tropics, there is flu activity year round. 

The flu vaccine available in one hemisphere may only offer partial protection against the flu in the other hemisphere.

The flu virus spreads from person to person when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus. Clean your hands often and wear a mask if you have a fever or respiratory symptoms.

In this destination, rabies  may be present in some wildlife species, including bats. Rabies is a deadly disease that spreads to humans primarily through bites or scratches from an infected animal. 

If you are bitten or scratched by an animal while travelling, immediately wash the wound with soap and clean water and see a health care professional. 

Before travel, discuss rabies vaccination with a health care professional. It may be recommended for travellers who will be working directly with wildlife. 

Safe food and water precautions

Many illnesses can be caused by eating food or drinking beverages contaminated by bacteria, parasites, toxins, or viruses, or by swimming or bathing in contaminated water.

  • Learn more about food and water precautions to take to avoid getting sick by visiting our eat and drink safely abroad page. Remember: Boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!
  • Avoid getting water into your eyes, mouth or nose when swimming or participating in activities in freshwater (streams, canals, lakes), particularly after flooding or heavy rain. Water may look clean but could still be polluted or contaminated.
  • Avoid inhaling or swallowing water while bathing, showering, or swimming in pools or hot tubs. 

Insect bite prevention

Many diseases are spread by the bites of infected insects such as mosquitoes, ticks, fleas or flies. When travelling to areas where infected insects may be present:

  • Use insect repellent (bug spray) on exposed skin
  • Cover up with light-coloured, loose clothes made of tightly woven materials such as nylon or polyester
  • Minimize exposure to insects
  • Use mosquito netting when sleeping outdoors or in buildings that are not fully enclosed

To learn more about how you can reduce your risk of infection and disease caused by bites, both at home and abroad, visit our insect bite prevention page.

Find out what types of insects are present where you’re travelling, when they’re most active, and the symptoms of the diseases they spread.

  • In this country, risk of  dengue  is sporadic. It is a viral disease spread to humans by mosquito bites.
  • Dengue can cause flu-like symptoms. In some cases, it can lead to severe dengue, which can be fatal.
  • The level of risk of dengue changes seasonally, and varies from year to year. The level of risk also varies between regions in a country and can depend on the elevation in the region.
  • Mosquitoes carrying dengue typically bite during the daytime, particularly around sunrise and sunset.
  • Protect yourself from mosquito bites . There is no vaccine or medication that protects against dengue fever.

Animal precautions

Some infections, such as rabies and influenza, can be shared between humans and animals. Certain types of activities may increase your chance of contact with animals, such as travelling in rural or forested areas, camping, hiking, and visiting wet markets (places where live animals are slaughtered and sold) or caves.

Travellers are cautioned to avoid contact with animals, including dogs, livestock (pigs, cows), monkeys, snakes, rodents, birds, and bats, and to avoid eating undercooked wild game.

Closely supervise children, as they are more likely to come in contact with animals.

Human cases of avian influenza have been reported in this destination. Avian influenza   is a viral infection that can spread quickly and easily among birds and in rare cases it can infect mammals, including people. The risk is low for most travellers.

Avoid contact with birds, including wild, farm, and backyard birds (alive or dead) and surfaces that may have bird droppings on them. Ensure all poultry dishes, including eggs and wild game, are properly cooked.

Travellers with a higher risk of exposure include those: 

  • visiting live bird/animal markets or poultry farms
  • working with poultry (such as chickens, turkeys, domestic ducks)
  • hunting, de-feathering, field dressing and butchering wild birds and wild mammals
  • working with wild birds for activities such as research, conservation, or rehabilitation
  • working with wild mammals, especially those that eat wild birds (e.g., foxes)

All eligible people are encouraged to get the seasonal influenza shot, which will protect them against human influenza viruses. While the seasonal influenza shot does not prevent infection with avian influenza, it can reduce the chance of getting sick with human and avian influenza viruses at the same time.

Person-to-person infections

Stay home if you’re sick and practise proper cough and sneeze etiquette , which includes coughing or sneezing into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand. Reduce your risk of colds, the flu and other illnesses by:

  •   washing your hands often
  • avoiding or limiting the amount of time spent in closed spaces, crowded places, or at large-scale events (concerts, sporting events, rallies)
  • avoiding close physical contact with people who may be showing symptoms of illness 

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) , HIV , and mpox are spread through blood and bodily fluids; use condoms, practise safe sex, and limit your number of sexual partners. Check with your local public health authority pre-travel to determine your eligibility for mpox vaccine.  

Medical services and facilities

Health care is excellent. Service is available throughout the country but may be limited in certain rural areas.

Private healthcare is also widely available. Upfront payment may be required.

Make sure you get travel insurance that includes coverage for medical evacuation and hospital stays.

Travel health and safety

Keep in Mind...

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety.

Be prepared. Do not expect medical services to be the same as in Canada. Pack a   travel health kit , especially if you will be travelling away from major city centres.


Water restrictions in Catalonia

On February 1, 2024, the Government of Catalonia declared a state of emergency and imposed water restrictions due to drought. The restrictions affect 229 municipalities, including Barcelona. They include daily use limits and prohibit certain high-use activities.

  • Confirm if water restrictions apply in your location

Information on water restrictions – Government of Catalonia (in Catalan)

You must abide by local laws.

Learn about what you should do and how we can help if you are arrested or detained abroad .

Transfer to a Canadian prison

Canada and Spain are signatories to the Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons. This enables a Canadian imprisoned in Spain to request a transfer to a Canadian prison to complete a sentence. The transfer requires the agreement of both Canadian and Spain authorities.

This process can take a long time, and there is no guarantee that the transfer will be approved by either or both sides.


Local authorities may ask you to show ID at any time. You must carry an adequate ID, such as a passport, to show upon request. You could be detained until you can prove your identity.

Keep a photocopy or digital copy of your passport’s photo page in a safe place should your passport be lost or seized.

In Spain, foreign visitors must present a passport upon check-in at a hotel. Restaurants, hotels, shops and other such establishments also routinely request passports or other pieces of government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s licence, to process credit card transactions.

  • Don’t leave your passport or any other ID document with anyone
  • Wait until they have taken the details or made a copy of it and have given the document back to you

Penalties for possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs are severe. Convicted offenders can expect jail sentences or heavy fines.

In several autonomous regions and municipalities, including Madrid, Barcelona and the Balearic Islands, alcohol consumption in the street is prohibited. If you don’t comply, you could be fined.

Drugs, alcohol and travel


It is illegal to photograph military installations.

Some municipalities, including Barcelona, have banned beachwear outside of local beaches, including on beachfront promenades.

If caught, you could face on-the-spot fines.

Counterfeit merchandise

It is illegal in certain municipalities to buy counterfeit merchandise from street vendors, such as sunglasses or purses.

Local authorities may impose heavy fines on tourists caught buying counterfeit merchandise.

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is not legally recognized in Spain.

If local authorities consider you a citizen of Spain, they may refuse to grant you access to Canadian consular services. This will prevent us from providing you with those services.

Travellers with dual citizenship

International Child Abduction

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction is an international treaty. It can help parents with the return of children who have been removed to or retained in certain countries in violation of custody rights. The convention applies between Canada and Spain.

If your child was wrongfully taken to, or is being held in Spain, and if the applicable conditions are met, you may apply for the return of your child to the Spanish court.

If you are in this situation:

  • act as quickly as you can
  • contact the Central Authority for your province or territory of residence for information on starting an application under The Hague Convention
  • consult a lawyer in Canada and in Spain to explore all the legal options for the return of your child
  • report the situation to the nearest Canadian government office abroad or to the Vulnerable Children’s Consular Unit at Global Affairs Canada by calling the Emergency Watch and Response Centre

If your child was removed from a country other than Canada, consult a lawyer to determine if The Hague Convention applies.

Be aware that Canadian consular officials cannot interfere in private legal matters or in another country’s judicial affairs.

  • List of Canadian Central Authorities for the Hague Convention
  • International Child Abduction: A Guidebook for Left-Behind Parents
  • Travelling with children
  • The Hague Convention - Hague Conference on Private International Law
  • Canadian embassies and consulates by destination
  • Emergency Watch and Response Centre

You can drive in Spain with your valid Canadian driver’s licence and an international driving permit for up to 6 months. For stays longer than 6 months, you must obtain a local driver’s licence.

Vehicles must be equipped for emergency situations. You must carry the following items:

  • 2 red warning triangles, of which one must be placed in front of the vehicle and one behind in case of accident or breakdown
  • a reflective jacket, kept inside the car (not in the trunk), that you must wear when leaving a vehicle stranded or involved in a highway accident
  • a spare tire and a repair kit
  • a full set of spare light bulbs, plus the tools to change them
  • snow chains if travelling in adverse winter conditions

You may be subject to on-the-spot fines if you fail to comply with these laws.

Emission zones

Certain cities have put in place low-emission or zero-emission zones (Zona de Bajas Emisiones [ZBE] and Area Central Cero Emisiones [ACCE]) to reduce air pollution. Access to these zones is restricted, and speed limits are lowered.

You may need to obtain a permit to prove that your vehicle responds to environmental standards.

  • Driving in Spain - European Commission
  • Obtaining a Spanish licence - General Traffic Directorate (in Spanish)
  • More about the International Driving Permit

The currency of Spain is the euro (EUR).

If you are carrying €10,000 or more, or the equivalent in other currencies, you must make a declaration to customs when you enter or leave the European Union. It includes sums in:

  • banknotes and coins
  • bearer negotiable instruments such as cheques, travellers’ cheques, promissory notes and money orders
  • bonds, shares
  • gold coins with a gold content of at least 90 %
  • gold bars, nuggets or clumps with a gold content of at least 99.5 %
  • any other convertible asset

This does not apply if you are travelling within the European Union or in transit to a non-EU country.

EU cash controls - European Commission

Torrential rainfall and storms are common during the fall on the Mediterranean coast, particularly in the Valencian Community and the Balearic Islands.

Winter storms and heavy snowfall may also occur, particularly in northern and mountainous areas.

  • Latest weather warnings - Spanish government’s meteorological agency

High temperatures create dry conditions, which can lead to large fires throughout Spain, particularly during summer. Fires can lead to railway and road closures, including major highways, and affect air traffic.

The air quality in areas near active fires may deteriorate due to heavy smoke and affect travellers with respiratory ailments.

In case of a major fire:

  • avoid areas affected by active wildfires
  • follow the instructions of local emergency services personnel, including any evacuation orders
  • monitor local media sources for up-to-date information

Civil protection  - Spanish Ministry of the Interior (in Spanish)

Mountainous areas

The weather in mountainous areas can be unpredictable. If you plan a mountain or skiing holiday, stay informed of the latest weather and safety conditions.

Hazardous winter conditions, such as heavy snowfall, blizzards and freezing temperatures, may put pilgrims at risk on the French route of St. James Way (“Camino de Santiago”). As a result, between November 1 and March 31, the East access through Navarra via Lepoeder is closed.

Follow signage and take the West route (Luzaide/Valcarlos) during this period.

  • Weather forecast in the Pyrenees - Pyrenees reference centre for mountain risk management (A Lurte) (in Spanish)
  • Way of St James through Navarra - Tourism Navarra
  • Way of St James through Galicia - Tourism Galicia

Local services

Dial 112 for emergency assistance.

A hotline service to file a police report with a translator is available from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays.

Dial 902 102 112

The service is not available on weekends and public holidays.

Hotline service to file a police report with a translator - Policía Nacional

Consular assistance

Spain, Andorra, and Canary Islands

For emergency consular assistance, call the Embassy of Canada to Spain, in Madrid, and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.

The decision to travel is your choice and you are responsible for your personal safety abroad. We take the safety and security of Canadians abroad very seriously and provide credible and timely information in our Travel Advice to enable you to make well-informed decisions regarding your travel abroad.

The content on this page is provided for information only. While we make every effort to give you correct information, it is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied. The Government of Canada does not assume responsibility and will not be liable for any damages in connection to the information provided.

If you need consular assistance while abroad, we will make every effort to help you. However, there may be constraints that will limit the ability of the Government of Canada to provide services.

Learn more about consular services .

Risk Levels

  take normal security precautions.

Take similar precautions to those you would take in Canada.

  Exercise a high degree of caution

There are certain safety and security concerns or the situation could change quickly. Be very cautious at all times, monitor local media and follow the instructions of local authorities.

IMPORTANT: The two levels below are official Government of Canada Travel Advisories and are issued when the safety and security of Canadians travelling or living in the country or region may be at risk.

  Avoid non-essential travel

Your safety and security could be at risk. You should think about your need to travel to this country, territory or region based on family or business requirements, knowledge of or familiarity with the region, and other factors. If you are already there, think about whether you really need to be there. If you do not need to be there, you should think about leaving.

  Avoid all travel

You should not travel to this country, territory or region. Your personal safety and security are at great risk. If you are already there, you should think about leaving if it is safe to do so.

  • Airline policies
  • Hotel policies
  • Rental car policies
  • Travel restrictions

Travel Restrictions

Information last updated on Tuesday, June 9, 2020.

KAYAK Travel Smart Stay Safe badge

Spain has introduced restrictions for travelers who are not Spanish nationals, and has introduced a series of measures including significant restrictions on movement throughout the country in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Temporary border controls have been introduced between Spain and its neighboring countries.  US citizens without an EU/Schengen citizenship or residency will not be allowed to enter the country, including to transit through a Spanish airport.

Travelers arriving in Spain from other countries are required to quarantine at their home/place of accommodation for the 14 days immediately following their arrival and must present a completed Public Health Passenger Locator Form upon arrival .

On April 28, the Spanish government announced a 4-stage de-escalation plan to gradually ease the current confinement and mobility measures over an estimated period of at least 8 weeks.

While no specific dates have been attributed to each phase, it is estimated that each one will last for an initial period of 2 weeks from May 4. Moving from one phase to another will be contingent on the control of the COVID-19 outbreak in Spain and different provinces and regions of Spain may progress at different speeds.

You can consult the specific measures included in each phase of the national plan here and should refer to local authorities for guidance on the specific measures where you are.

Quick links

  • Quarantine Policy

Safety regulations

Quick answers.

Spain has restricted the entry of all travelers except Spanish nationals and residents and their immediate family members. US citizens without Spanish/EU/Schengen citizenship/residency likely will be barred from entering or transiting Spain by air, land, and sea. US citizens in third countries should consider alternate flight routes to return to the United States.

Spain’s air, land and sea borders remain closed for entry, excluding the land border with Andorra, with limited exceptions. This includes the land borders with Portugal, France, and Morocco (Ceuta and Melilla) and the sea borders in the Canary and Balearic Islands, as well as the sea ports in mainland Spain, with limited exceptions. 

The only Spanish airports servicing international flights are Alicante (ALC), Barcelona (BCN), Bilbao (BIO), Fuerteventura (FUE), Gran Canaria (LPA), Ibiza (IBZ), Madrid (MAD), Malaga (AGP), Menorca(MAH), Lanzarote (ACE), Palma de Mallorca (PMI), Santander (SDR), Sevilla (SVQ), Tenerife-Sur (TFS) and Valencia (VLC).

EU and Schengen area nationals, residents, and long-term visa holders may transit through Spain if they are returning to their place of residence. Healthcare and elderly care workers, diplomats and staff of international and humanitarian organizations, military personnel and freight transport personnel in the performance of their duties may also enter the country, as may people who can demonstrate proof that they are traveling for emergency family or humanitarian reasons. Immediate family members of Spanish nationals may enter Spain even if unaccompanied by a Spanish national, if they are traveling to join their family member who is already in the country.

Business travelers who are arriving from countries in the EU, Iceland, Norway, or Switzerland may enter Spain, but will need supporting documentation to demonstrate the purpose of their visit.

Quarantine policy

Travelers arriving in Spain from other countries will be required to quarantine at their home/place of accommodation for the 14 days immediately following their arrival and must present a completed Public Health Passenger Locator Form upon arrival . During the mandatory quarantine period, travelers will only be allowed to leave their home/accommodation to shop for food, medications, or other basic necessities, to seek medical assistance, or in other very limited emergency circumstances. More information is available here (in Spanish).

People in Spain who display symptoms of COVID-19 will be individually directed to quarantine by a medical professional. American nationals in Spain who are under quarantine should be aware that they will not be allowed to return to the United States until medically cleared to do so by a physician or responsible Spanish authorities. Attempting to do so could result in being detained or fined.

Travel restrictions in the US

Under the de-escalation plan announced on April 28, different regions of Spain may have different safety regulations regarding which establishments are allowed to open, the number of people allowed to convene, and the rules regulating how citizens may move around the country. You can consult the specific measures included in each phase of the national plan here and should refer to local authorities for guidance on the specific measures where you are.

Throughout the country, social distancing measures and other safety precautions should be considered at all times. 

The Spanish Ministry of Health has issued an order requiring that face masks be used by everyone age six or older in enclosed spaces and public areas where it is impossible to maintain six feet of social distance. The order recommends but does not require mask use by children between age three and five. 

Local public transport services such as buses and trains are operating at reduced levels; however inter-regional transport is still not permitted. Americans returning home may travel to the airport by road or rail to leave Spain, but may be asked to provide their plane ticket as evidence that they are leaving the country. Face masks on all public transport is obligatory.

Embassy and consulate contact information

Website: US Embassy and Consulates in Spain

Phone numbers:

US Embassy Spain  (+34) 91 587 2200 

Madrid  (+34) 91 587 2200

Email address: [email protected]

Yes – Spain has restricted the entry of most travelers except Spanish nationals and residents and their immediate family members. US citizens without Spanish/EU/Schengen citizenship/residency likely will be barred from entering or transiting Spain by air, land, and sea. Americans wishing to leave Spain may travel from a Spanish airport, but should be aware that they will likely need to transit through a third country like the United Kingdom, France, Ireland, or the Netherlands and may need additional documentation in order to transit through these countries. More information is available here .

Yes – travel within Spain is limited to within each province. It is not permitted to cross from one province to another.

Yes, Spain has closed its borders. Only Spanish citizens, or those who can prove residency in Spain by presenting a green residency certificate, are allowed to enter Spain through airports, ports or land borders.

The only Spanish airports servicing international flights are Alicante (ALC), Barcelona (BCN), Bilbao (BIO), Fuerteventura (FUE), Gran Canaria (LPA), Ibiza (IBZ), Madrid (MAD), Malaga (AGP), Menorca(MAH), Lanzarote (ACE), Palma de Mallorca (PMI), Santander (SDR), Sevilla (SVQ), Tenerife-Sur (TFS) and Valencia (VLC). However, Americans should be aware that Spain has restricted the entry of most travelers except Spanish nationals and residents and their immediate family members.

Yes –   travelers arriving in Spain from other countries are required to quarantine at their home/place of accommodation for the 14 days immediately following their arrival. During the mandatory quarantine period, it is only permitted to go outside to shop for food, medications, or other basic necessities, to seek medical assistance, or in other very limited emergency circumstances. More information is available here (in Spanish).

Not at the moment. As of April 28, Spain has entered a phased recovery period from its lockdown. Each phase is expected to last at least 2 weeks, and each Spanish province’s phase status is determined separately. Most Spanish provinces are currently in Phase 1 or 2 – under these phases, it is permitted to leave the house with certain regulations. You can consult the specific measures included in each phase of the national plan here and should refer to local authorities for guidance on the specific measures where you are. 

  • US Embassy COVID-19 information
  • British government travel advisory
  • IATA Travel restrictions
  • Most Recent Mission Spain Alerts for US Citizens
  • Spanish government notice of de-escalation plan
  • Spanish Ministry of Health guides to the various phases of de-escalation (in Spanish)
  • The Local article about lockdown in Spain
  • The Local article about reopening phases in Spain
  • Spain in English article about lockdown in Spain
  • How we work
  • Hotel owners
  • Advertise with us
  • Airline fees
  • Low fare tips
  • Badges & Certificates
  • Terms & Conditions

California consumers have the right to opt out of the sale * of their personal information. For more information on how we securely process personal information, please see our Privacy Policy .

Do not sell my info ON

* The definition of "sale" under the California Consumer Privacy Act is applicable only to California consumers.

Travel Safe


Customs. What regulations are there?

spain travel regulations


  1. Spain Travel Restrictions: Guidelines and Updates

    spain travel regulations

  2. Travel Rules for Spain

    spain travel regulations

  3. The new Spain travel rules explained

    spain travel regulations

  4. Spain entry requirements: The travel rules explained and what you need

    spain travel regulations

  5. Spain (Travel Restrictions, COVID Tests & Quarantine Requirements

    spain travel regulations

  6. Travel To Spain: Spain Introduces Strict Entry Requirements For UK

    spain travel regulations


  1. Spain International Travel Information

    Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution and Travel Advisories.

  2. Spain

    Information on 'EU Digital COVID Certificates' issued in Spain. In some regions of Spain, providing proof of vaccination, recovery from COVID-19 or a negative test result could be required to access certain public spaces, such as health facilities and nursing homes. Spain's Autonomous Communities can implement specific territorial regulations ...

  3. Message to U.S. Citizens

    Location: Spain Event: Effective June 24, 2021, U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if upon arrival they present a QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the "SpTH app" in Google Play Store or iTunes App Store for each traveler, regardless of their age.

  4. Spain Travel Restrictions

    Spain entry details and exceptions. Travelers from Russia cannot fly directly to Spain. This page covers COVID-19 related travel restrictions only. For other travel restrictions, please check the guidance from your local authorities.

  5. The new Spain travel rules explained

    Yes. Travel rules have been significantly lifted in 2022, making holidays far simpler than during the previous two years. For your return to the UK afterwards, there is no need to take a test. Since 18 March 2022, all people travelling from Spain to the UK do not need to take any tests or quarantine when returning to England, Scotland, Wales or ...

  6. Covid-19: Guide to Spain's travel rules: what are the entry

    Travelers in Palma de Mallorca on June 13. CATI CLADERA (EFE) The summer season has arrived and Spain is hoping for an influx of foreign visitors to revitalize its struggling tourism and hospitality sectors. While an uptick in domestic travel is helping, businesses know that the numbers will only add up when the international visitors show up.

  7. EXPLAINED: What are the new rules for travel to Spain for all

    All international travellers have to fill in a health control form on the Spain Travel Health website or app before flying to Spain. Those entering from an EU or EEA country. Spain started accepting the EU's Digital Covid Certificates from July 1st, which will is making it a lot easier to prove entry requirements into member state countries ...

  8. Travelling to Spain? Map to Chart Entry Requirements

    Thank you to the UK governor this information: Testing requirements for overland travellers. All overland travellers (excluding children under the age of 6 years old) who wish to enter Spain by road or rail from France, are required to present a negative PCR, TMA or LAMP test taken within 72 hours prior to entry.

  9. Information for travelling to Spain

    Useful information for your trip to Spain. We offer you practical advice on border requirements, money, security, health and internet connection and inform you of the habitual opening hours in Spain, our public holidays, driving tips and what you need to know if you are travelling with pets. That way you will be prepared and informed on ...

  10. Entry requirements

    FCDO travel advice for Spain. Includes safety and security, insurance, entry requirements and legal differences. ... Guidance and regulation. Detailed guidance, regulations and rules. Research and ...

  11. Entry Into Spain in 2023: Conditions and Requirements

    The first thing you must take into account to enter Spain during 2023 is that you will have to comply with 2 different set of requirements. While until now foreigners had just to consider the requirements imposed at the immigration level (for example the need to get a tourist visa); now the sanitary requirements play an important role too.

  12. Spain travel advice

    FCDO travel advice for Spain. Includes safety and security, insurance, entry requirements and legal differences. ... Guidance and regulation. Detailed guidance, regulations and rules. Research and ...

  13. Getting help

    FCDO travel advice for Spain. Includes safety and security, insurance, entry requirements and legal differences. ... Guidance and regulation. Detailed guidance, regulations and rules. Research and ...

  14. Latest Spain Entry Requirements

    This is separate from any Covid-19 regulations that may be in force at the time you want to travel to Spain. The ETIAS visa waiver scheme is a new initiative from the European Union to enhance the security of the Schengen Zone and will change your Spain travel requirements.. ETIAS is not a visa, but rather a visa waiver permit or travel authorisation for all current visa-free countries that ...

  15. Covid19

    Covid19 - Entry requirements in Spain. Beginning on October 21, 2022, the following travelers can enter Spain without showing any sort of covid-19 document/certificate: Spaniards and EU citizens. Duly registered family members of Spanish and EU citizens. Foreigners residing in the European Union or associated Schengen countries (it is necessary ...

  16. Travel advice and advisories for Spain

    Don't travel to Spain to obtain restitution after losing money to a scam. Romance scams. ... and only getting tattoos and piercings in settings that follow public health regulations and standards. COVID-19. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious viral disease. It can spread from person to person by direct contact and through droplets ...

  17. Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Restrictions for Spain

    Safety regulations. Under the de-escalation plan announced on April 28, different regions of Spain may have different safety regulations regarding which establishments are allowed to open, the number of people allowed to convene, and the rules regulating how citizens may move around the country.

  18. Ministerio de Sanidad

    Ministerio de Sanidad

  19. All Spain travel restrictions update for 2024

    Traveling to Spain from the United Kingdoms. In terms of the COVID-19 regulations, UK citizens entering Spain must follow the same rules as other EU and non-EU citizens. As of October 21, 2022, you are not required to: Show proof that you have been fully vaccinated. Show evidence of a negative COVID-19 test.

  20. Spain entry requirements: Visas, the £93 per day rule and ...

    Spain entry requirements: post-Brexit passport rules and the €109 per day rule. When you next travel from the UK to Spain, ensure you don't get caught out with passport validity rules, and local laws on smoking and alcohol. Entry requirements for Spain changed after Brexit. British passport-holders need to check if their passport meets the EU ...

  21. Spain

    General Travel Advice. Irish citizens need a valid passport or passport card to enter Spain. Irish passports do not have a minimum validity requirement while travelling to the UK or within the EU. When travelling within Europe with an Irish passport, it should be valid for the duration of your stay. Irish citizens do not require a visa to enter ...

  22. Customs. Regulations in Spain. Procedures

    Pie Systems Spain, S.L. Remember that VAT refunds must be requested at the European Union airport or port of departure, and the purchase must have been made no more than three months before departure. We'll let you know all the information about customs in Spain. Regulations, limitations and applications for value added tax refunds |

  23. Five new travel rules you need to know before your next holiday to

    Five new rules have been outlined that British holidaymakers travelling to Spain and the wider European Union should be aware of. It isn't simply a matter of having your passports and tickets ready, as millions of Uk travellers ought to take note of these updated regulations for their holidays this year.

  24. Live Animal Exports (Moving Animals to Another Country)

    If you're looking for information about taking a pet to another country, visit Pet Travel. ... International Regulations for Animal Exports (IRegs) IRegs provides exporters with our best understanding of importing countries' requirements for live animals, including hatching eggs and germplasm. Please select the country of destination from the ...