- Awards Season
- Big Stories
- Pop Culture
- Video Games
Island Interest: Must-Try Hawaii Activities to Enjoy
In June 2021 alone, 791,053 visitors flew into the Hawaiian islands for vacation getaways. It’s hardly surprising, given that Hawaii is one of the most popular tourist destinations globally. The archipelago offers plenty of options for cultural exploration, nature discovery, and culinary expeditions. If you’re not sure what to do or see first, we’ve got plenty of ideas to make your trip to Hawaii worthwhile.
Attend a Polynesian Cultural Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center
A Polynesian cultural luau is a traditional Hawaiian feast that offers a variety of delicious cuisine, traditional Hawaiian music and hula dances. The Polynesian Cultural Center , in particular, provides an authentic, immersive experience of Hawaii’s and other Polynesian islands’, including Fiji and Tahiti, cultures. Plus, it’s family-friendly and offers an all-inclusive package of dinner buffets, an evening luau, and live entertainment like fire knife dancers for the ultimate cultural experience. If your goal is to gain exposure to entertainment and interesting cultural traditions, the Polynesian Cultural Center is the place to go.
Catch the Sunset at Mauna Kea Summit
Hawaii can make for a terrifically romantic trip, and catching the sunset is a great way to spice up a nice evening dinner. While there are plenty of places to catch the sunset in Hawaii, perhaps the highest point in the Hawaiian islands is the way to go? At Mauna Kea Summit , you’ll enjoy not only a breathtaking sunset but also a stargazing experience unlike any other. The summit is home to several research telescopes where you can also enjoy a thrilling celestial show. Make sure to carry warm jackets and sip some hot tea as a tour guide walks you through the stunning celestial spectacle with a laser pointer.
Watch the Waves on a Sunset Cruise
For a different evening vantage point, why not go on a romantic sunset dinner cruise? This is the perfect way to get a view of the islands from a distance, where you can take in all the mountain peaks and beaches. While there are several sailing cruises to choose from, you could go with a group of friends or on a private trip to make the most of the experience.
Have a Bowl of Poke
While Hawaiian food is rich in flavor and texture, a must-order classic dish is a delicious and healthy poke bowl. You could eat poke on the mainland, but the classic version with ahi tuna from the Maguro Brothers in Waikiki is outstanding. It’s a dish prepped with cubed ahi tuna, soy sauce, and green onions. Other times, it may include extras such as macadamia nuts, so feel free to sample dishes from a few different spots. Poke is a great meal that’s traditional and tasty — it doesn’t get much better than that.
Explore the Hawaii Tropical Bioreserve & Garden
Among Hawaii’s most attractive natural features are its lush forests and flowers. At the Hawaii Tropical Bioreserve & Garden , you’ll find more than 2,000 plant species in a 40-acre nature preserve. What’s more? You’ll also see stunning waterfalls on the rainy side of the island. So if you’re a fan of sightseeing nature’s wildest wonders, take a few hours admiring the orchid garden and what can only be defined as an understatement of nature’s finest. From local to international to super-rare species, you’ll find them here in their distinctive colors as you learn about them all and the garden’s outstanding preservation efforts in the Pacific.
Go to the Beach
Hawaii’s golden beaches and sandy bays are undoubtedly an essential part of the island’s paradise vibe. Whether you aim to have a week full of activities or crave spending quality time in the sun, a tranquil sunbathing session on the beach is a must-do. If you prefer having company, Waikiki Beach has a lot of people strolling around. You might alternate between surfing, sandcastle building, eating ice cream, suntanning, and simply staying put in your towel. It’s a perfect method of family bonding, too. Best of all, a day at the beach requires little to no effort or preparation!
Snorkel in the Iconic “Maui Turtle Town”
There are many ways to explore the glistening ocean waters of Hawaii. It all depends on your preferred aquatic pastime. Kayaking, snorkeling, scuba diving, swimming, surfing, or paddle surfing are all alternatives. Tropical dreamers wishing to get away from the crowds and buses might check out Maui Kayak Adventures . Professionals will assist you through paddling or snorkeling while you enjoy the scenery and embark on excursions such as whale or dolphin viewing while kayaking. On the other hand, snorkeling involves diving among Hawaiian green sea turtles and other marine species. The sea turtles come up to swim around you and are an incredible sight to see!
You might even snorkel or scuba dive with manta rays at night . Manta rays are enormous, pancake-like marine creatures that glide out of the darkness and into the spotlights set up by local dive or snorkel operators. Manta rays swim directly over and under snorkelers, twisting and twirling through the water in beautiful dances — delivering a one-of-a-kind experience in Hawaii.
MORE FROM ASK.COM
Wasabi Tours Hawaii
Experience the Best Big Island Guided Tours
Big Island Grand Circle Island Tour
Contact Us to Inquire Private Tour
- A tour of Hawaii’s biggest island highlighting its natural wonders. Experience the diverse range of ecosystems and climate zones of the island
- Take a tour of a Kona Coffee Farm to learn about the harvesting and milling process while sampling Kona Coffee
- Visit the most dramatic waterfalls and scenic valleys on the island, Akaka and Rainbow Falls, and Waipio Valley
- Explore active volcanic craters, steam vents, crater rim trails, and the lava tube in Volcanoes National Park
- Frequent stops for photos to take in the lush scenery, and spot green sea turtles at Punalu’u Black Sand Beach
- Professional guide sharing knowledge of the history, cultures, and geology of the island
This full-day nature tour offers an in-depth look at Hawaii’s youngest and largest island. From desert to rainforest, pasture to dry forest, discover diverse landscapes and 8 out of 13 climate zones in the world as you traverse the island, walk through rainforests to soaring waterfalls, and stroll black-sand beaches as you scan the horizon for green sea turtles.
You will first stop at a Kona Coffee Farm in the morning. Walk through the orchards with your guide learning about the harvesting and milling process while sampling a warm cup of Kona-grown coffee. On the leisure drive, you’ll see views of South Point, the southernmost point of the United States, and the historic Kealakekua Bay from a distance.
From there, you will have time to relax and take it all in at Punalu’u Black Sand Beach, a great place to spot marine life from the black-sand shore. Your adventure continues with exploring the wonders of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, including steam vents, past lava flow sites, the Halema’uma’u and Kilauea Iki crater lookouts, and take a short hike through the 600-foot-long Thurston Lava Tube formed hundreds of years ago.
The afternoon is filled with visits to some of the most majestic waterfalls on the Big Island. First, Akaka Falls. This towering 442-foot (135-meter) waterfall plummets into a lush ravine at the center of a state park. You’ll enjoy a short walk through the vegetation for an up-close view and plenty of photo opportunities. The next stop is a waterfall that’s small by comparison, but not by beauty: Rainbow Falls, a beautiful 80-foot (24-meter) waterfall with a giant banyan tree beside it. Continuing on the drive along the Hamakua Coast, more postcard-worthy views will pass by your window, ushering you to the next destination, the sunset views will stop you in your tracks at the Waipio Valley lookout, where a dramatic backdrop of verdant cliffs drops into the sparkling blue ocean.
Note: This tour is exactly the same as Big Island in a Day Tour. Tripadvisor/Viator just promotes it using a different name.
Pick up location and Time
Tour departs daily. We pick up from all resorts and hotels in Keauhou, Kona, Waikoloa, and Kohala area between 7 am to 8 am. Actual pickup times vary depending on location. Tour duration is around 11-12 hours. Inquire for pickup from Kona airport.
What to bring and wear Wear comfortable clothing in layers as temperatures vary from warm to cool. Covered walking shoes are required.
Group Size: Tours are limited to a maximum of 13 guests per vehicle
Tour difficulty: Easy hiking over short distance. Ages 4 and older are required.
Included in the tour: local style picnic lunch consists of teriyaki chicken, fish, vegetables, and steamed rice with assorted juices, snacks and bottled water. In addition, all park entrance fees, jackets, and rain gear.
Cancellation Policy: Minimum 24 hours notice for groups of 1-5, 48 hours notice for groups of 6 or more, and 72 hour notice for private groups to receive a full refund.
How much hiking do we do? A: We will have a couple easy hikes over a short distance on this tour. Total hike distance is about a mile.
How long do we stop at Volcanoes National Park? A: We stop at multiple attractions within the park for a total time of about 2 hours
Do we get to swim at the black sand beach or waterfalls on this tour? A: You won’t be able to swim on this tour due to time constraints. If you would like to swim at a private waterfall, please check out our Waipio Valley and Waterfall Tour.
$60 OFF per couple
$60 off per couple when you book Waterfalls Adventure and Twilight Volcano Combo Tour . Cannot be combined with other offers.
5% OFF per person
Book Twilight Volcano , Circle Island , or Big Island Waterfalls Tour using promo code “DIRECT” to receive 5% discount . Cannot be combined with other offers.
- Toll-free: 877-678-7333 -or- 808-876-7777
All the best Big Island Sights in a Day!
- Grand Circle Island Tour
- Pickup at Kona and Waikoloa resorts
- Kona Coffee Farm, Punaluu Black Sand Beach
- Kilauea Caldera and Thurston Lava Tube at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls, and Waipio Overlook
The Grand Circle Island Tour offers the best scenic sites of the Big Island, and they depart from all west coast hotels and resorts. Experience 8 out of 13 climate zones and diverse landscapes, from desert to rainforest to pasture to dry forest. As you traverse the island you will learn about the history , culture, and geography of Hawaii from a friendly and knowledgeable certified local guide.
This intimate tour will first stop at a Kona Coffee Farm in the morning. Walk through the orchards with your guide learning about the harvesting and milling process while sampling a warm cup of Kona-grown coffee. On the leisurely drive, you'll see views of South Point, the southernmost point of the United States, and Kealakekua Bay before stopping at Punalu'u Bakery for some famous Hawaiian malasadas.
From there, you will have time to relax and enjoy Punalu'u Black Sand Beach, one of the largest and most beautiful black sand beaches in the world. It's a great place to spot marine life from the black-sand shore, including the Hawaiian green sea turtles who love to haul out of the water and bask in the sun. Your adventure continues with exploring the wonders of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, including steam vents, past lava flow sites, the Halema'uma'u and Kilauea Iki crater lookouts, and take a short hike through the Thurston Lava Tube formed thousands of years ago.
The afternoon is filled with visits to some of the most majestic waterfalls on the Big Island. First, Akaka Falls. This towering 442-foot (135-meter) waterfall plummets into a lush ravine at the center of a state park. You'll enjoy a short walk through the vegetation for an up-close view and plenty of photo opportunities. The next stop is a waterfall that's small by comparison, but not by beauty: Rainbow Falls, a beautiful 80-foot (24-meter) waterfall with a giant banyan tree beside it. Continuing on the drive along the Hamakua Coast, more postcard-worthy views will pass by your window, ushering you to the next destination, the sunset views will stop you in your tracks at the Waipio Valley lookout, where a dramatic backdrop of verdant cliffs drops into the sparkling blue ocean.
Grand Circle Island Tour Rate (WASA1)
$205.00 per Adult, $195.00 per Child (12 and under) (plus 4.712% Hawaii sales tax)
Rates for dates after 12/31/2023 are $219.00 per Adult, $209.00 per Child (12 and under)
Schedule: This tour is held daily with pickup around 7am
Duration: About 11-12 hours
Maximum Group Size: 12 guests per vehicle
Pickup: Available from all resorts and hotels in Keauhou, Kona, Waikoloa, and Kohala area between 6:45am to 7:30am. Actual pick up time vary depending on hotel location.
What to Wear: Comfortable walking shoes, comfortable clothing, and a light jacket. Keep in mind this tour is WARM in places and COOL in places due to changes in elevation.
Tour Includes: Local style picnic lunch consists of teriyaki chicken, fish, vegetables, and steamed rice with assorted juices, snacks and bottled water. In addition, all park entrance fees, jackets, and rain gear.
Restrictions: Because this is a long tour, the minimum recommended age is 4.
Reservations: Advanced reservations required and we recommend booking this a month or more before your arrival. This event is "RESERVE NOW PAY LATER"; we need a credit card on file to finalize your reservation but we do not charge you for your space until a few days before the beginning of your vacation!
Minimum Notice for Cancellations / Changes: At least 48 hours before the start of the event.
The Big Island of Hawaii really lives up to its' name…it IS BIG! It can be daunting trying to explore this island on your own. The Grand Circle Island Tour gives you the ability to take in all that the Big Island has to offer without having to worry about driving, and more importantly where all the good stops are! Let your guide keep their eyes on the road and chauffeur you to the scenic points while you enjoy the view! Not only is the Big Island huge, it is extremely diverse both in landscape and in climate zones. In a matter of hours you will go from lush, tropical rain forest to grassy ranch land, to volcanic craters and recent lava flows. Throw in the amazing ocean views and you get the complete spectrum of Hawaiian beauty. Your guide is certified and will relay stories and history throughout the day for each of the areas you visit. The guides are also a great resource for learning about the flora and fauna, most of which is native to the island.
Since the Big Island is so big, this tour takes an entire day. You need the time not only to cover the distance, but to be able to stop and really take in each of the places you visit. You will want to dress comfortably for a day of driving, getting in and out of the vehicle, and taking short hikes throughout the day. Since you will be visiting different climate zones across the island, you will want to be prepared with layers of clothing that you can add on for warmth as needed. A rain jacket is very handy when you make stops both in the rain forest, as well as Volcanoes National Park since light showers are common. Make sure you wear shoes that are comfortable to walk in, and that also get good traction. There is quite a bit of walking on this tour, some on uneven and at times slippery terrain. All ages are welcome on this tour, but make sure that if you have younger children in your party that they are comfortable being out for an entire day and don't mind long car trips.
Call our local Hawaii specialists for any questions about our island tours and activities
Read the Frequently Asked Questions or send us an inquiry
- Support Center
- Groups & Private Charters
Register and enjoy smoother booking, as well as being able to save your wish list and recently viewed activities.
Already a member? Please sign in
- Circle Island Tours (9)
- Private Guided Tours (14)
- Cruise Ship Shore Excursions (2)
- Farm Tours (6)
- Walking & Segway Tours (3)
Grand Circle Island Tour - Volcano, Black Sand Beach, Waipio Valley & Waterfalls
Best way to experience BI
Hit all the events, 10 - 13.5 hour(s) incl. transportation, available daily, pick-up available, not accessible, what to expect.
- Professional guide sharing knowledge of the history, cultures, and geology of the island
- Bento Lunch: Teriyaki chicken, grilled fish, local sweet potato, and steamed rice.
- Vegetarian Option: Tofu, vegetable stir-fry, sweet potatoes and white rice.
- Beverages: Assorted juices, and bottled water.
Pick-up from Kailua-Kona & Waikoloa Hotels
Take a stroll through an ancient lava tube, learn about the harvesting and milling process & sample delicious Kona Coffee.
The last stop of your all-day adventure is the famous Black Sand Beach at Punaluu. Here you can relax and take in the sights and sounds, with a chance to spot native marine life from the shore.
See Kilauea Crater Lookout, Steam vents, Kilauea Iki.
Visit these beautiful tropical greenhouse and gardens, where you'll see a variety of local plants and learn about the life cycle of orchids in Hawaii.
Stop at Rainbow Falls lookout and see the most famous waterfall of the island.
The tour continues in the afternoon down the Hamakua Coast to visit the famous Akaka Falls, plummeting 442 feet into a stream-eroded gorge.
Stop at the Waipio Valley lookout, where a dramatic backdrop of lush cliffs drops into the sparkling blue ocean.
Drop-off at Kailua-Kona & Waikoloa Hotels
Pick-up/check-in time & location.
Drop-off/Check-out Time & Location
- Tour depart from Kona area resorts between 8am -8:20 am & from Waikoloa area resorts (including Hapuna, Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, and Fairmont) between 6:40 am -7:20 am.
- Tour returns to Kona resorts between 7 pm- 8 pm. Waikoloa area resorts (including Hapuna, Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani and Fairmont) between 6 pm -7 pm.
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible.
- If less than 4 participants are booked, the activity may not operate.
- Children 5 years old and above can participate in this activity.
- There is a maximum of 13 people per vehicle.
- Tour involves easy hiking over short distance.
- Depending on weather condition and sunset time, the tour may operate in reverse route.
- Wear comfortable clothing in layers as temperatures vary from warm to cool.
- Covered walking shoes are required.
Required items to bring & attire
- Please wear comfortable clothing in layers as temperatures vary from warm to cool. Covered walking shoes are required.
Booking requirements (# of participants, vehicles, hours, etc.)
- You can book a maximum of 13.
Travelers interested in this activity also viewed
You hit it all and you do not need to drive and miss views along the way!
So much goodies in 1 day- we loved the Kona coffe and cannot stop thinking about it!
Loved this day
Amazing experience! Lots of the island wrapped up in a day you can't go wrong.
Activity Provider Wasabi Tours Hawaii
Activity provider, payment / cancellation policy.
- Credit card payment
- Groups of 1-5 people: Any cancellations made after 17:00, 2 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. • Groups of 6-11 people: Any cancellations made after 17:00, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. • Private Charters: Any cancellations made after 17:00, 4 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.
What kind of vehicle will be used.
Depending on the number of passengers, the vehicle used will be either a 15-passenger Mercedes Sprinter or a Ford Transit van. They offer ample legroom and high ceilings for maximum comfort, individual seat with headrest, tinted windows, and air conditioning.
Will there be a lot of walking on this tour?
Total walking distance about 1 mile on mostly paved trails.
If I am flying in from another island for this tour, what time should I arrive?
Schedule your arrival to Kona airport by 8 am and depart Kona airport after 8 pm. Departure from Kona airport is 8:15am, and you will return to the airport around 7pm.
Please visit VELTRA Support page to send an inquiry about this activity.
Top-Rated Activities for Big Island
Mauna Kea Stargazing Tour & Summit Sunset Adventure
Hawaii Manta Ray Sunset & Night Time Snorkel Experience from Kona - Iruka
Hawaii Zipline Tours - Big Island Waterfall & Rainforest Zip Adventure
Island Breeze Big Island Kona Luau at King Kamehameha Hotel with Open Bar
Mauna Kea Summit Sunset & Stargazing Tour with Expert Nature Guide
Legends of Hawaii Luau Dinner Show with Open Bar at Hilton Waikoloa Village
Oceanfront Royal Kona Luau with Open Bar - Voyagers of the Pacific Show
Waipio Shuttle - An Exceptional Guided Sightseeing Tour of Waipio Valley
Hawaii ATV Ride Tour at Kohala Coast - Sea to Mountain Off-Road Adventure
Hawaii Loa Kohala Luau & Dinner Show with Open Bar at Fairmont Orchid Waikoloa
Dolphin Quest Hawaii - Dolphin Swim & Encounter at Hilton Waikoloa Village
Umauma Falls Zipline Tour & Waterfall Swim Adventure
Kilauea Volcano Doors-Off Helicopter Tour - Lava & Waterfalls Flight from Hilo
Deluxe Volcano Tour with Dinner, Lava Tube, Black Sand Beach & Coffee Farm
Deluxe Hawaii Island Tour - Volcano, Waterfalls, Black Sand Beach & Coffee Farm
Sea Quest Kealakekua Bay Snorkel Tour & Rafting Sea Cave Expedition
Deluxe Captain Cook Snorkeling Tour at Kealakekua Bay - Fair Wind Cruises
Spirit of Aloha Waikoloa Sunset Cruise with FREE Cocktails - Hawaii Nautical
Mauna Kea Evening Stargazing & Daytime Solar Viewing Tour with Dinner
Kailua-Kona Sunset Cocktail with Free Drinks - Honi Olani Catamaran
Editor's picks for big island.
Check Out our Newly Added Tours & Activities on Big Island
Hawaii's Best Whale Watching Tours (Dec-Apr)
Bucket List - Top 20 Things You MUST Do on Big Island!
Best Hawaii Stargazing Tours
Get up close with the Mantas! Hawaii Top Manta Encounters
Top 7 Big Island of Hawaii Air & Helicopter Tours
Big Island's Top Outdoor Adventures for Thrill Seekers
Best snorkel tours big island.
Hidden Gems & Hawaii Top Unique Experiences
Romantic Things to Do on Big Island
Best Family-Friendly Activities on the Big Island
Best Hawaii Local Coffee Farm & Wineries Tours
Circle island tours other tours and activities, deluxe hawaii island tour - volcano, waterfalls, black sand beach & coffee farm, twilight volcano tour with stargazing, black sand beach & coffee farm, the ultimate hawaii waterfalls adventure private tour - swim, hike, kayak & sup, shaka guide app - big island self guided audio driving tours, ultimate hawaii circle island sightseeing, kilauea volcano & waterfall tour, big island private sightseeing tour by kapohokine - customize your itinerary, big island guided tour with volcanoes, hawaiian culture, waterfalls & lunch, big island all-inclusive luxury private circle island tour & professional photos, 日本語ガイド＆オムレツ昼食付き, eur 152.00~.
You can only add up to 10 items in the list.
Please reduce items in the list.
- STEP 3 Book another activity, and use the coupon for a discount!
- Valid for one (1) booking per account during the designated promotional period.
- Cannot be used on the same activity on the same date and time as the first activity, or applied to activities that have already been booked.
- Hawaii Activities
- VELTRA Corporation
- Investor Relations
- News Release
- Supplier Sign-in
- Add Your Activity
- Travel Agent
- Affiliate Program
- Social Media Influencer
- Terms & Conditions
- Hawaii Travel Guide
- Military & Kamaaina
- Groups & Private Charters
best prices guaranteed
best circle tour in oahu
This iconic landmark is located at the east end of Waikiki. It is a volcanic tuff cone known to Hawaiians as Le'ahi.
Located right next to Diamond Head is this upscale neighborhood of Kahala, also known as the Beverly Hills of Hawaii.
This scenic bay is Oahu's prime snorkeling destination. From the lookout point above the bay one can enjoy amazing views of the coral reef and turquoise water below.
This underwater lava tube shoots water up into the air when ocean waves crash into it. A great spot for picture taking!
This charming little town on the windward coast of Oahu is home to the longest uninterrupted white-sand beach on the island.
This is Oahu's most popular lookout point featuring spectacular views of a large stretch of Oahu's east shore.
Located in a peaceful valley in Kaneohe, at the foothills of the lush Ko'olau Mountain Range, this temple is a replica of Japan's 450-year-old place of worship.
This small offshore island within Kaneohe Bay makes for great photo opportunities.
One of Oahu's most popular visitor attractions, Kualoa Ranch overlooks Oahu's windward coast. The working ranch offers a variety of guided tours, including ATV tours and horseback rides.
This beautiful Mormon temple sits on a small hill near the ocean and overlooks the town of Laie. Its serene surroundings and lush gardens provide great photo opportunities.
Home to many world-famous big wave surfing beaches, where in the winter months giant waves pound the shore and surfing competitions take place.
See how pineapples grow at the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Here you can also try the popular Pineapple Whip ice cream and visit their gift shop.
grand circle island tour oahu
Travel 120 miles to see Oahu's top attractions and most beautiful sights. First-time visitors to Hawaii will love an Oahu grand circle island tour, but it is popular with repeat visitors as well. Your journey will include "the best of the best" of Oahu. From the lush, forested mountains to the blue waters of the Pacific, across the Dole Pineapple Plantation and beyond, an Oahu circle island tour is the best and easiest way to experience this beautiful island. Our friendly, knowledgeable tour guides provide live narration to accompany the tour, so you'll learn interesting historical and cultural facts along the way.
You'll see the 1,186-foot Pali Lookout, the site of King Kamehameha the Great's last battle, for a view that will leave you breathless. Your tour also includes the world-famous North Shore surfing beaches and awe-inspiring Waimea Bay, where during the winter months giant waves crash right onto the shore exploding into a salty mist. No other Oahu tour offers so many spectacular photo opportunities in a single day.
Make your reservation early as these Oahu grand circle island tours usually sells out in advance. For more tour information or to make your reservation over the phone, call us Toll Free at 1-866-482-9775 or at (808) 892-2082 (local).
Our staff will help you select the best tours and activities and ensure 100% satisfaction.
safe secure online booking system with validated privacy protection.
advance booking satisfaction
avoid sell outs and price increases. relax knowing your tour is confirmed.
“One of the highlights of our entire trip!!”
We scheduled the trip for our first day of our vacation so we could get a feel of the island and go back and visit what we wanted to later on during the week.
I don't think we would have had such a great experience if it weren't for our awesome guide, Mandy. She was well versed in Hawaiian culture, the environment,which included every aspect of the environment.
“Brilliant Day Out”
Each stop was interesting and the highlight of the day (other than the stunning views) was our guide "Tiny".
Big Island Grand Circle Tour
Want to see the Big Island without having to drive yourself? Wasabi Tours’ knowledgeable tour guides will take you around the island on this Grand Circle Tour. So sit back and enjoy the view.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you decide to make a purchase through my links we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Read about our affiliate policies here .
- Departs From: Big Island – Kona, Big Island – Waikoloa and Kohala Coast
- Duration: Full day
- Included in the price: local style picnic lunch consists of teriyaki chicken, fish, vegetables, and steamed rice with assorted juices, snacks and bottled water. In addition, all park entrance fees, jackets, and rain gear.
Share with your friends!
- Tour the southern coast of the island
- Small groups of 4 to 13 guests per shuttle
- Circumnavigate the Big Island (see Waipio Valley)
- Take a stop for some Kona Coffee & breakfast
- Explore incredible Volcanoes National Park, Kilauea Iki Crater, Steam Bluffs, Thurston Lava Tube, Fern Tree Jungle and more
- See famed black sand beaches
- Experience 8 of 13 climate zones
- Ages 4 and older are welcome
Grand Circle Island Tour Details
A circle tour is a great way to see the best of an island in one go. We recommend doing it at the beginning of your trip so you can get a feel for the island and its history, then pick out where you want to spend more time and go back during your trip.
This full day tour starts with pickup at major hotels and resorts all along the Kona coast and returns you back in time for a late dinner on your own.
From desert to rainforest, pasture to dry forest, discover diverse landscapes and 8 out of 13 climate zones in the world as you traverse the island, walk through rainforests to soaring waterfalls, and stroll black sand beaches as you scan the horizon for green sea turtles.
Starting around 7AM your tour guide will pick you up and head south towards the beautiful coffee growing areas of South Kona for a continental breakfast. You’ll get to tour the Kona Coffee Farm, sampling as you go. Along the way you will make brief stops to enjoy the beautiful views. After breakfast you continue to Punalu’u Black Sand Beach and a beautiful little cafe for a late morning treat.
Next you’ll venture into Hawaii Volcanoes National Park to see steam vents, past lava flows, the Halema’uma’u and Kilauea Iki crater lookouts, and take a short hike through the 600-foot-long Thurston Lava Tube formed hundreds of years ago.
Continue the tour into historic Hilo with its cute downtown area parks and shops. The afternoon will bring you to some magnificent waterfalls. First up is Akaka Falls, which drops a staggering 442 feet, followed by the famed Rainbow Falls. Take some time to enjoy this wonderful location.
You’ll stop at various overlooks and your guide will tell stories of the people, the lands and events that have happened over the years so you can really appreciate what you experience throughout the day. No area is more important than the incredible Waipio Valley, the last major stop on this Grand Circle Island tour, giving you an incredible sunset to end your day.
You will complete your 10-12 hour day back at your hotel, tired but excited about the incredible differences in landscape and weather you experienced throughout the day.
Big Island Circle Tour FAQ
What should i wear.
Wear comfortable clothing in layers as temperatures vary from warm to cool. Covered walking shoes are required.
How much hiking do we do?
You will have a couple easy hikes over a short distance on this tour. Total hike distance is about a mile.
How long do we stop at Volcanoes National Park?
The tour stops at multiple attractions within the park for a total time of about 2 hours
Do we get to swim at the black sand beach or waterfalls on this tour?
You won’t be able to swim on this tour due to time constraints. If you would like to swim at a private waterfall, please check out our Waipio Valley and Waterfall Tour.
What is the cancellation policy?
Minimum 24 hours notice for groups of 1-5, 48 hours notice for groups of 6 or more, and 72 hour notice for private groups to receive a full refund.
About Wasabi Tours Tours
Wasabi Tours Hawaii is a locally owned and operated company that has been providing small group guided tours on the Big Island of Hawaii since 2006. Their tours offer a personal, exciting, and unique experience that exceeds the expectations of their guests.
Their multilingual guides are the State of Hawaii certified with years of experience guiding fully narrated tours on the island. They have a wealth of knowledge about the history, cultures, geography, wildlife, and botany of Hawaii. Their passion is to showcase the beauty of paradise with aloha spirit, and they want to share their passion with you in a fun, friendly, and educational manner.
We are affiliate partners with Wasabi Tours which means we receive a small commission for each completed booking made through this site. This is done without any additional cost to you. You can read more about our affiliate policies here . Know that we only recommend tour operators that we know and trust. Your positive experience and your trust in us mean more than any affiliate commission. By booking tours through our website you help us to provide free information and videos to help you and other readers plan their perfect Hawaii vacation. Thank you so much for your support — you are amazing!
This is the most comprehensive Hawaii vacation planning resource on the internet!
- Join Our Newsletter
- Hawaii Itineraries
- Tours & Activities
- Top Travel Gear
- Discount Car Rentals
- Planning A Trip To Hawaii
- Oahu Island Guide
- Maui Island Guide
- Hawai’i (Big Island) Guide
- Kauai Island Guide
Don’t start planning without our cheat sheets
- 4 can’t-miss activities on each island,
- a map with the main sights in town,
- and famous local grindz (eats)!
No products in the cart.
Big Island – Hawaii Grand Circle Island Tour
- Big Island Tours & Activities
- Big Island Volcano Tours
- Hawaii Volcano Tours
- Island Tours in Big Island
Hawaii’s largest and youngest island is quite possibly the most dramatic and awe-inspiring in the Hawaiian chain. So, while a day isn’t quite enough to experience all the natural beauties and wonders Hawaii Island offers, we like to believe our Big Island Grand Circle Land Tour itinerary does a pretty good job.
Your arrival in the middle of a vast lava field might almost seem like a moon landing. Lava, now solidified, has created a wave-like, rippled field that spreads out as far as the eye can see. If this isn’t drama enough, the landscape does a 180º along the western coast of the island where tropical bounty abounds.
Along the way, you’ll make a delicious stop at Hawaii’s most famous and well-known region for growing coffee. There are more than 800 coffee farms in the district, situated on one of two volcanoes: Hualalai or Mauna Loa. The climate conditions in Kona provide an excellent location for growing coffee: rich volcanic soil full of minerals and afternoon clouds that provide natural shade. Generally, Kona coffee is known for having a complex flavor profile: a sweet aroma with floral and nutty notes and a silky smooth finish. Royal Kona Coffee is a remarkable place of organic beauty, where lush coffee bean trees seem to spring up among the other island foliage.
Tour Overview (*denotes stops made)
- Rainbow Falls State Park* – A public recreational area where there is a majestic waterfall that cascades 80 feet over a lava cave. It is aptly named because rainbows are often seen in the rising mist.
- Imiloa Sky Garden* – A garden restaurant featuring a locally inspired lunch and beautiful views of Imiloa’s native Hawaiian landscape.
- Big Island Candies Factory* – A true taste of the islands and home to the world-renowned Chocolate Dipped Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookie.
- Kilauea Visitor Center(Bathroom)*
- Volcano House**
- Steam Vents**
- Halemaumau Lookout**
- Punaluu Black Sand Beach* – Famous and picturesque, this black sand beach is an unforgettable site where “Honu” (Hawaiian sea turtles) often enjoy basking in the Hawaiian sun.
- Royal Kona Coffee* – Panoramic farms growing exclusively grown gourmet Kona coffee beans.
Please be advised in the event of a Government Shutdown the National Parks currently will have limited access available to the public.
- Your safety and comfort are our #1 priority. Tour highlights are subject to change without notice and may vary at tour driver discretion in order to take into account National Park Service advisories, weather advisories, traffic advisories, road closures and detours, venue hours of operations, etc. Tour features can change daily as we cannot predict weather and lava viewing conditions.
- We do not guarantee sighting of lava flows. Surface lava flows may be present but may not be visible due to environmental conditions or time constraints. If conditions permit, walking/hiking on rough, uneven lava surfaces is involved.
- Moderate walking, please wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately. You are advised to bring a light jacket as it may get cold.
- Lunch will be available for purchase.
- Tour highlights are subject to change without notice and may vary at tour driver discretion in order to take into account National Park Service advisories, weather advisories, traffic advisories, road closures and detours and venue hours of operations.
- Volcanic fumes can be hazardous. This tour is not recommended for visitors with heart or breathing problems and infants, young children, and pregnant women.
Activity Company: Roberts Hawaii
Please arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled departure time. The buses will leave promptly.
Pick up schedule:
- 7:30am Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa Please meet us in the lower parking lot.
- 7:30am Wyndham Mauna Loa Village Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:35am Outrigger Kanaloa At Kona Please meet us by the guard house.
- 7:35am Kona Coast Resort Please meet us at the security gate on Alii Dr. the mountain side.
- 7:35am Kona Surf & Racquet Club Please meet us at the security gate on Alii Dr. the mountain side.
- 7:40am Kona Bali Kai Please meet us across the street from the condo sign.
- 7:40am White Sands Village Please meet us at the Parking Lot Entrance across from the Kona Magic Sands Condos.
- 7:45am Alii Villas Resort Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:45am Casa De Emdeko Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:45am Aston Kona By The Sea Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:45am Kona Isle Condo Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:45am Kona Makai Please meet us across the street from the condo sign.
- 7:45am Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff Kona Please meet us across the street from the condo sign.
- 7:50am Kona Billfisher Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:50am Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:50am Kona Shores Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:50am Kona Tiki Hotel Please meet us by The Wyndham sign.
- 7:50am Kona Sea Village Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 7:50am Worldmark Kona Please meet us by the condo sign.
- 8:00am Uncle Billy’s Kona Bay Hotel Please meet us by the hotel sign.
- 8:00am Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel Please meet us in the main lobby.
- 8:05am Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Please meet us in the main lobby.
- 8:10am Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel / Hapuna Beach Resort Please meet us in the main lobby.
- 8:15am Kona Airport Please meet us at the baggage claim.
- 8:30am Hualalai Four Season Resort Please meet us int he main lobby.
- 8:30am Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalow Please meet us in the main lobby.
- 8:30am Fairmont Orchid Please meet us in the main lobby.
- 8:35am Mauna Lani Point Please meet us outside the security gate.
- 8:35am Nomura Hawaii Village Please meet us at the outside security gate.
- 8:45am Kings Land by HGVC Please meet us in the main lobby.
- 8:45am Kohala Suires by HGVC Please meet us by the hotel sign.
- 8:50am Hilton Waikoloa Village Please meet us in the lower lobby.
- 9:00am Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort Main Please meet us in the lobby.
We had a limited time on the island and this tour had a huge number of natural sites on it. The crater drive as well as the view of the lava tubes was amazing!
My husband and I had just a short amount of time on the big Island. This took so much planning out of the process of the tour and made sure that we could relax and go with the flow. We saw so many sites on this tour and it was delivered a very relaxed pace.
Leave a Review
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.