The buses used for field trips are the same buses used to bring students to and from school for their regular academic program. As a result, trips will not be scheduled on dates when NYC public schools are closed (generally all federal holidays) or on the dates shown above when the public schools have half-day sessions.
- Trips requiring more than five (5) vehicles may not be scheduled on Fridays due to limited vehicle availability.
- Schools are responsible for fees associated with tolls and parking.
- Tolls must be paid by check - made payable to the bus vendor and given to driver before the scheduled trip.
- Canceled check will serve as the receipt of payment.
- Schools must confirm all assigned trips with the bus company dispatcher two days before the scheduled trip.
- Neither OPT nor the bus companies can be responsible for routing field trips. To ensure proper travel, schools must provide bus drivers with directions to and from the field trip site.
Charter Bus Service How to charter a coach-style or yellow bus .
- What are Charter Schools?
- Get the Facts
- Choosing the Right School
- Find a Charter School
- Apply to a Charter School
- Virtual School Visits Calendar
- COVID-19 Resources
- Applying for a Charter
- Starting Up a School
- Operating Schools
- Resource Library
- Events Calendar
- Inclusive Education
- School Vendors
- Fact Sheets
- School Data
- Growth + Demand
- Laws + Regulations
- Special Populations
- Lift the Cap!
- Shaping Futures
- Charters Open Doors
- Safety for All Students
FAQ - Field Trips
Does the doe provide free transportation for field trips, how do schools arrange transportation for field trips.
Yes, as long as trips comply with the following stipulations, as well as others listed on the DOE field trip site :
- Trips cannot be scheduled on dates which are half days for any grade.
- Trips are between October and June of the school year.
- Trips are within the five boroughs of New York City.
- All requests are received by OPT at least two weeks before the trip date.
- All assigned trips are confirmed with the bus company dispatcher one to three days before the scheduled trip.
- Buses leave no earlier than 9:30 AM and are back at the school by 1:30 PM.
Schools can arrange to have yellow bus service, take public transportation, use a combination of yellow bus service and public transportation or charter a coach-style or yellow bus for their field trips based on the requirements outlined in the OPT website and in the Online Field Trip Application Guide . Sign up on OPT's field trip request system .
The NYC Common Online Application
Families are still able to apply to charter schools for the 2020-21 school year while NYC experiences school closures due to COVID-19. Apply online to multiple charter schools in your neighborhood.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity. The Common Online Charter School Application deadline is April 24. Apply Now!
*Specific application deadlines may vary by school. Some schools may close their application window by April 1.
Apply Online Now
The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items.
- Transportation Liaisons
Your transportation liaison is your source of support for busing, MetroCard, student eligibility, field trips, and other transportation topics.
Transportation professional development is also available for school staff responsible for transportation.
Contact your Transportation Liaison for:
- Application access and training
- Reporting late arrival of a bus to school
- Reporting an overloaded bus
- Help with field trips
- Student eligibility checks
- Help with checking MetroCard inventory
- Help with entering bus stop or MetroCard information
- Issues with the driver or attendant
- Help with session times
- Help with bus safety drills
Contact Information for Transportation Liaisons (TLs)
Access, D79, D75, New Vision, and Yeshiva schools are assigned to the respective district.
Find more Borough/Citywide office contacts .
- Requesting Transportation Services